A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 4th April 2016, 2:09 pm

I'm a bit envious. I dug my last few leeks at the weekend; they are a favourite vegetable in my family.

Welcome unmadebed - if you want to there's a place to say hello and tell us what you're interested in here - entirely optional though, you're very welcome to just dive in !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 4th April 2016, 3:03 pm

Ooh, I thought for a minute there that someone had harvested the first crop of this season. I'm hoping to get in first with something from my polytunnel - not that it's a competition of course Very Happy
Welcome unmadebed, what else do you grow?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by unmadebed 4th April 2016, 3:10 pm

Hi Ploshkin! I have an allotment but it's a bit of a mess as I wasn't terribly well over the winter and finding a dry day at the moment is a touch difficult. I have recently had a greenhouse put up so will be a lot more organised this year, we grow lots of tomatoes, peppers, green and runner beans, kale, etc. I really wanted a half plot but there was only an immense full plot available when it was offered, so I have covered half of it with Mypex and will expand a little at a time. Also grow a little soft fruit and have a polytunnel sitting on the garage floor waiting for the right time. (Don't ask) I also have a spare tunnel which I will probably either use to cover fruit or maybe brassicas. I want to have a go at Okra this year, although nobody seems to have much success.
unmadebed
unmadebed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th April 2016, 3:15 pm

What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 Chicke10
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th April 2016, 3:17 pm

Ooh, it's all changed! I've managed to insert a tiny picture!! This is just to show you that I've been harvesting cut and come again lettuce (from the seed swap!) and have had some help...
The hens are fenced in to their own side of the garden, but this one (Ginger) does sometimes escape. Luckily I got to the lettuce before she had eaten much!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th April 2016, 9:09 pm

unmadebed wrote:I really wanted a half plot but there was only an immense full plot available when it was offered, so I have covered half of it with Mypex and will expand a little at a time.

A sensible approach. Mine is a smallish plot (3.5 poles), but had been long neglected when I took it on. I cleared about 4 12' x 4' beds beds at the middle, and put some black polythene above and below them. It wasn't enough to cover the whole plot, but I was able to slide it out progressively to the end of the plot over the next couple of years, bringing a bit more into cultivation. If I had more space, I'd put in more permanent planting, mostly fruit.

[I don't know when / why the image uploading thing changed Dandelion; it wasn't anything I did, it's a bit garish but it seems to work OK.]
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th April 2016, 10:29 pm

My first harvest of this year's produce today. Rhubarb from the garden and spinach from the polytunnel. I put a new rhubarb crown in a different place last year and at last I've got a decent crop - I think the previous one must have been diseased because I rarely got more than one crumbles worth from it.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 2nd May 2016, 9:57 am

I had to cut a dozen emerging asparagus shoots just before we came away, so that they wouldn't  be overgrown when I got back. We had them for dinner last night, and they were vile! Really bitter. Has anyone else ever had that? Other years it has been delicious.

A bit of research on the Internet didn't yield much information, although I read a chance remark from someone that cold weather slowing the growth can produce bitterness. Out of everything I've read, that seems the most likely.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd May 2016, 11:44 am

Oh, freebird, what a disappointment. Can't help with asparagus tips though (see what I did there Laughing )
My rhubarb didn't quite stop growing all winter but I left it to gather strength before picking any. Have had one lot, about a month or so ago, and it's gone rather mad- wants to be a Gunnera I suspect.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 2nd May 2016, 2:05 pm

Sorry, any help with asparagus either. I wouldn't even contemplate trying to grow it here. Harvested the final carrots from last year yesterday and they were still ok. I'm picking some incredibly sweet shoots from some tall kale plants at the moment.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd May 2016, 5:56 pm

I haven't grown asparagus either - I haven't really got enough room for such a permanent bed (though I do love asparagus, so maybe I should plan for one; dig something up.) I wonder if Chilli has grown it and could give advice
?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd May 2016, 7:54 am

Someone called ?

I have a bit of asparagus. In fact we had our first "harvest" - if you can call three spears a harvest - yesterday. It wasn't bad, but the base of the spears was a bit tough and there was a hint of bitterness. I don't know, but would guess that cold weather and slow growing are the cause.

My asparagus bed is at the end of its life. It has been exceptional, but the spears are dwindling in number and thickness. I know it is said that you need a fresh bed every ten years or thereabouts. What I don't know is whether that is because of degradation of the plants themselves, or because the soil is depleted of what they need ? I presume it's best to replant in a fresh location anyway.

It is a good variety too, a commercial type that I don't know the name of. Now, I have heard on a forum somewhere, and from my allotment neighbour, that it is possible to lift and divide old asparagus to rejuvenate it. I'd like to try that, but could do with an idea of when to do it - I know it's a long shot as most of you are not growing asparagus, but anyone have any ideas ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th May 2016, 8:38 pm

My first strawberries from the polytunnel! (apart from one that was ahead of the rest that I ate the other day). I have them growing in self watering hanging baskets.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 P1010813
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 19th May 2016, 7:57 am

Ooh, well done Ploshkin. Good flavour?

I'm still harvesting asparagus - it's positively jumping out the ground now. But haven't got around to eating it yet, so don't know if it's going to be bitter again. I suspect not as the weather is warmer now.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th May 2016, 11:37 am

They're a variety called Mara de Bois which are often recommended for baskets and they have a really good flavour. They will crop right through the summer. I've got 3 more baskets - the originals from the greenhouse, that are still outside and I noticed today that they are flowering so I will hang them up in the greenhouse for some extras. The self watering baskets are great, they are Stewart ones and I have had my originals for at least 18 years and they spend the winter outside. I bought 4 more for the tunnel and was pleased to see that the quality hasn't changed.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th May 2016, 7:45 pm

Asparagus again - and this time is was really nice.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 20th May 2016, 8:01 pm

That's good Freebird, it must be weather related then. We've had carrots and broad beans from the polytunnel today with home grown lamb chops.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th May 2016, 10:30 pm

I've just emptied a bucket of new potatoes, grown in the greenhouse (mainly because I needed the bucket to plant a melon plant in...!) Just enough for a meal for three, and good and early!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th May 2016, 8:19 pm

I brought back from the polytunnel today broad beans, potatoes, carrots, mange tout, lettuce and strawberries and we've just had them (except the lettuce) for dinner.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th May 2016, 8:22 pm

Your polytunnel is doing well Ploshkin!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th May 2016, 9:30 pm

That's terrific, Ploshkin. You must be so pleased.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th May 2016, 10:01 pm

Very impressive Ploshkin, that must be hugely earlier than you could manage unprotected in Wales.

I am quite envious !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th May 2016, 10:12 pm

The only thing I have outside so far is early potatoes and they are only up about 8". I have some brassicas to plant out and some courgette and I will be putting in some peas and beans. It will be a month before I get anything out of the garden so the polytunnel is really earning its keep.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th May 2016, 11:25 am

I've never had much luck with extra early or extra late potatoes. After all the hassle I usually get half a dozen ping pong ball sized spuds. I have had 8 tubers of rocket in the polytunnel, 4 each in 2 drainage rings. They've had excellent foliage but the flowers dropped off. I had a furtle round the edges the other day and couldn't feel any potatoes so pulled up one of the haulms to find just one potato, albeit a decent size. I had a fish around deeper down yesterday and found enough for dinner - quite respectable as we are big potato eaters. I thought I would harvest the remainder today so that I can use the space for something else. This is what I found lurking at the bottom of just one of the rings. Needless to say I am suitably chuffed. (3" plant pot for scale)
What are you harvesting today? - Page 25 P1010816
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 27th May 2016, 12:21 pm

Oooh, produce envy here
I have lots of rhubarb but that's it. Like someone else- freebird I think - I sowed some old seed and have a few carrots and radishes germinating. Not doing much this year as we are still thinking about putting house on market. Other things keep getting in the way, though.
Even the chickens aren't laying much Sad
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th May 2016, 2:38 pm

Oh they do look good ! I like the way the skin has rubbed off one one down the bottom there, to show that they are as fresh as can be. Parboiled new potatoes and broad beans tossed in a pan with bacon lardons frying in their own fat. Mmm dribble
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next