A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 32 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 32 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 29th June 2017, 10:04 pm

Ooh, cucumbers already CH! My plants are growing well, but no sign of any fruits yet.

freebird

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 32 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by FloBear 30th June 2017, 9:24 am

Smug salad! Love that Very Happy
We have tiny cucumbers - known as 'winkies' in this house. Tomatoes are still only flowering - hope we have an Indian Summer or I'll end up with not-a-lot.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 5th July 2017, 1:04 pm

Peas! Tutankhamun peas! They are absolutely gorgeous. Taking huge willpower not to eat them all straight off the plants.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th July 2017, 1:46 pm

Sounds yummy.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th July 2017, 10:54 pm

Seven courgettes, a couple of strawberries, a few sugarsnaps, more peas. Did they grow fat since yesterday, or did I miss them? Oh, and some lettuce leaves. And tomatoes. And a radish.

And tonight we ate some potatoes harvested about a week ago. All completely free! I had found a sprouting potato in the veg tray back in the spring. Planted it in a pot in homemade compost, and fed with dilute 'worm tea' from my wormery. A nice little crop of new potatoes with our salad tonight.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th July 2017, 1:07 pm

My first tomato.
For the first time since I started growing Sungold (and I can't remember when that was) it was not a Sungold. It was a Bloody Butcher. I've been largely underwhelmed or disappointed by my seeds from DT Brown but these are the exception. First to germinate, first to flower, first to fruit and first to ripen. They're a medium sized tomato with good flavour - quite acidic. They're non F1 so you may be seeing some seeds in the seed swap.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 12th July 2017, 11:11 am

What are you harvesting today? - Page 32 20170710

I have three courgette cakes in the freezer, I had courgettes for lunch yesterday and the day before, I'll have them for dinner tonight, I've put them in the dog's food, given some to my neighbour and there are seven picked and waiting. Heeeeellp!

Any anyway, who put that yellow courgette seed in the seed swap? The plant is massive - at least five feet wide. The upside is it's really easy to see the courgettes, so none get missed. Oh! Perhaps that's not an upside then.

French beans have taken me by surprise. Didn't think they were anywhere near ready, but picked enough for a small meal. Have stopped buying tomatoes for three weeks now, likewise any green veg, as the sugarsnaps (nearly finished), then peas have kept us well provided. Noticed runner beans just starting - much of the early flower didn't set due to the hot, dry weather.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th July 2017, 12:16 pm

I'll raise you 14 (courgettes waiting to be used) all off one polytunnel plant. The outside ones aren't doing particularly well.
I've finally got the mangetout and French beans under control - still picking daily but a manageable quantity.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 12th July 2017, 8:40 pm

Courgettes. About half a metre long. You can't turn your back on them for a week, can you ? Happily the plant is still producing sensible sized courgettes too. Often they seem to stop when you miss one and it gets huge. This plant is in a lot of manure, so maybe that explains a lot.

I can't be having marrows. Too many memories of marrow stuffed with steamed sausage meat which my parents produced for us as children. Utterly disgusting.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 12th July 2017, 9:41 pm

I always let one grow into a marrow, to make marrow and tomato chutney. It's our good, all round basic chutney and is absolutely delicious.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 12th July 2017, 10:16 pm

Oh, CH, how I remember the stuffed marrow we were subjected to as children.Bleurgh. Ours were stuffed with mince - beef or lamb, not sure.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th July 2017, 10:24 pm

I'm not a fan of stuffing anything, I don't see the point. You might as well have the bits separately on a plate. Marrow is too watery to stuff anyway.
I too let one grow big for sticky pickle.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:06 pm

Courgettes here too, by the metre (I'm sure the skin is too tender for them to be marrows!) Also french beans (Kew Blue), runner beans and tomatoes. Also cauliflowers - my lesson for next year is not to plant 12 cauliflower plants at the same time (especially now there are only two of us at home). I have frozen industrial amounts of cauliflower cheese and spiced cauliflower soup,and Mr D examines our meal anxiously every evening looking for hidden cauliflower! Well, I thought he liked it...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th July 2017, 8:13 am

Well done for getting decent cauliflowers. I managed one tennis ball sized head last year. I've got some plants in this year but they seem to be all leaf at the moment with no sign of anything else forming. We'll see.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 14th July 2017, 8:50 am

Oh, I wondered where you had been, Dandelion. Submerged in cauliflowers, obviously.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th July 2017, 1:11 pm

Laughing
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th July 2017, 1:17 pm

I felt a bit glum (does anyone say that any more??) when I read about the stuffed marrow recipes not being very nice, as I had just bought all the ingredients to stuff an out-sized courgette. Fortunately it all worked out OK (I didn't steam it - perhaps that made the difference) or maybe it was a more up-to-date recipe. The stuffing was made from the hollowed out flesh of the courgette, all chopped up, sausage meat, chopped red onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan and seasoning. After stuffing the aforementioned vegetable, I covered it with a garlicky tomato sauce, and put cheese on the top to brown for the last ten minutes of baking. We both liked it (fortunately! - though we live within walking distance of a decent fish and chip shop...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 15th July 2017, 1:34 pm

Oh I don't ever think I minded stuffed marrow, D, and have made it as an adult. Stuffed courgettes - now that's something else altogether. Reading your ingredients, I realised that they're similar to a recipe I invented many years ago and still use. No sausage meat, but mushrooms instead, and don't bother with any sauce. Baked in oven or remoska for 20mins, and a delicious lunch. Had some 3 days ago.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th July 2017, 2:06 pm

The courgette was about 14 inches long and nearly three inches in diameter - I'm insisting that it wasn't a marrow as the skin was tender and perfectly edible! The next courgette, waiting in the porch, is even bigger!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th July 2017, 6:39 pm

PeasFrenchbeansSugarsnapsCourgettesTomatoesStrawberriesRaspberriesBlackberriesApples and one (my one and only) blueberry.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 8:58 pm

I made vegetable curry last night with homegrown onion, garlic, chard, French beans, peas, courgette (of course), potatoes and carrot. The chilli powder was from last year's chillies too.

The beetroot is looking ready too. Time for pantzarosalata - a Greek dip of beetroot and walnuts.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th July 2017, 9:37 pm

I did a home grown veg curry a couple of nights ago - your Kari Sayur recipe. It's got a permanent page now in my pink book as it's definitely a keeper. I never thought I would say it but I could do with some slightly hotter chillies.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:29 pm

I discovered a friend at school who hasn't grown courgettes this year - she has enough for the next few weeks now!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th July 2017, 8:15 pm

Picked my first cucumber today. They are very slow to produce anything - variety Beth Alpha from seed swap. Anyone have experience of these?
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 20th July 2017, 10:09 pm

I've not had much luck with getting Beth alpha to germinate. Last year I got one and this year none. I recall my one plant last year didn't do very well at all.

I've had one cucumber so far with plenty more coming on. It was from a bought plant as all my seeds bar one failed (and I did 2 sowings.)
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 22nd July 2017, 2:00 pm

Have had one small, very knobbly, cucumber and I can see another ready to pick. Fresh and crisp but not as 'cucumbery' tasting as others I've grown. Still picking broad beans though getting to the end now. Have quite a few very green tomatoes. Hoping they'll come through-last year got blight and lost the lot.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next