A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 Hca_button

What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

+8
Sparhawk
AngelinaJellyBeana
freebird
Dandelion
Chilli-head
Jaded Green
polgara
Adrian
12 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by FloBear 17th June 2020, 11:01 pm

Love the Dandelion grandmother crochet - what delicate work!
And Ploshkin's cardi is fab. I use interchangeable needles on a long cable too. Trouble is, I get little use out of lovely woolly pullies with the mild winters we get here!

FloBear

Back to top Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by Ploshkin 18th June 2020, 12:46 pm

In my teens I used to make a lot of stuffed toys but have done very very few since. the last one I made was 20 years ago.
My neighbours have recently started fostering and had only done some weekend respite care for two 12 year old girls. Just after lockdown started they took in a 4 year old girl on an emergency placement. They were not geared up for a 4 year old and there were no shops open so neighbours with children rallied round and gave them stuff for her. Mr P came in one day and had been talking to the little girl who had told him that she wanted a dinosaur so I thought 'no problem'. I found a pattern and I had plenty of bits of cotton quilting fabric. I've only ever made toys with fur, which is very forgiving. I used fusible interfacing on all the pieces to make it more robust. I washed an old pillow and used the stuffing from that. I was delighted to find that I had a pair of googly eyes in my button box - goodness knows where they came from because I have never used googly safety eyes for anything.
Anyway, here is Stig. He was very well received and goes everywhere with the little girl.
[img]What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 P1020911[/img]
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th June 2020, 1:02 pm

I love Stig! It sounds as if he will be a very important and much-loved friend.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th June 2020, 1:31 pm

Oh what a great story, Ploshkin, and a brilliant use of bits and pieces. The fabric is just right for a dinosaur.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th June 2020, 4:13 pm

What a nice creation for a lovely cause.

C-H Jnr had a cuddly dinosaur when he was quite little, very similar stegosaurus type. His had a range of stuffings of different feel and sound - something like scrunched up cellophane in the scales on the back, so it made intriguing crinkly noises when squeezed - could be an idea if you have to make one for a younger child. Probably not needed for a 4 yo though.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th July 2020, 8:11 pm

Not sure if this qualifies as arts & crafts, but really doesn't warrant a thread of its own.

A quick little make this morning. My garden snips have pierced the horrible plastic pouch they are sold in.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 20200715

So I made a replacement pouch in leather - an offcut from the leather I used for the man's To Do book (which, I might add, is in constant use).

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 20200717

That's better!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 24th July 2020, 9:04 pm

Oh, how have I missed this thread for so long!
Stig, the o'saurus is gorgeous, Ploshkin, I'm so glad he is loved.

Your little pouch for your snippers is great, freebird. I think it's in just the right place!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th July 2020, 6:11 pm

I love it when a plan comes together, Freebird!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 30th July 2020, 3:35 pm

Nothing too exciting but I used up some practice material generated when I was trying to re-size a quilting block. I am a relatively new P&Qer and had to have several goes. It's a cushion for my car seat to replace the very old one I had in there. Cushion not needed other than to bring a bit of colour to a grey interior.
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 COE66Uy
FloBear
FloBear

Chilli-head and freebird like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st July 2020, 10:17 pm

It's beautiful FloBear - I think you're being too modest!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st July 2020, 10:20 pm

I am no expert, but it looks good to me, and I like the colours Embarassed
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st July 2020, 10:25 pm

Unfortunately I only managed to take a rather hazy photo of the project I've been working on so I can't post it. When my oldest daughter was small, I made her a ragdoll from a Clothkits printed kit. The doll went everywhere with her. Then when our youngest was small, she used to play with her sister's doll. Unfortunately I let our youngest take the doll with her when we went to Ikea in Wembley, and when we got to the checkout the doll was no longer in her arms. Sad
We re-traced our steps and searched everywhere we had been, but I think by then someone else had claimed the doll (and I was in really deep trouble...) Clothkits had discontinued the kit so I couldn't even make a new one...until now! The kit has been reissued as a 'retro' design, so I was able to present my daughter with a replica of the dolly which had gone missing,which she has now passed on to her own daughter. I had forgotten how fiddly it was to make though (and I was using an Edwardian treadle sewing machine the first time round) - even with a new machine it has still been a fiddle, especially as my fingers are more arthritic than they were years ago. But I'm glad to have been able to do it.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Chilli-head and freebird like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st August 2020, 2:39 pm

Perhaps you can ask your daughter to take a photo and send it to you, Dandelion. I would love to see it.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st August 2020, 10:15 pm

https://clothkits.co.uk/products/1970s-original-clothkits-rag-doll-sewing-kit-kitty-blue
This is a link to the kit (and now you know how much I had to pay to put things right!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd August 2020, 8:55 am

What a lovely story, Dandelion.

Thank you D and CH for your kind comments about my cushion. I really like that blue and green fabric which was described as the DNA helix by a friend!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th September 2020, 12:04 pm

A little make for the man's newest grandson.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 7 20200911
freebird
freebird

Chilli-head likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 28th September 2020, 1:19 pm

Aww, cute biglove
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th September 2020, 2:52 pm

That's lovely Ploshkin! It looks as if you use quite a fine crochet hook.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th September 2020, 3:37 pm

Wasn't me Dandelion. I can knit with the best of them but have never mastered crochet!
I seem to have been missing from this thread for a while but don't think I've really done much since the Stegosaurus. I very much like the cushion Flobear, the elephant is really cute and I love the bright colours Freebird and Dandelion, I'm sure your daughter was thrilled with the replacement doll. I bet she's never forgotten the original getting lost - things like that stick in your mind for ever.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 28th September 2020, 7:40 pm

Lovely little elephant, Freebird. Looks just the right size for a very new person.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th September 2020, 10:40 pm

Thank you all.

He sits about 6" high, so a good size for tiny hands, especially with that grabbable, suckable trunk.

Not especially fine, Dandelion - a 4mm hook and double knit yarn. If he was any smaller, he'd be impossible to work on, as the trunk and legs are quite fiddly anyway.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd October 2020, 9:59 pm

That's the same sized hook I use for my granny square blankets, but it's a much looser result. I love the little elephant!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd October 2020, 1:19 pm

Dandelion wrote:That's the same sized hook I use for my granny square blankets, but it's a much looser result. I love the little elephant!

He's crocheted using what the Americans call a Single Crochet stitch (UK Double Crochet stitch - there is no UK Single Crochet). Blankets and granny squares tend to be a Treble stitch or one of its variations. The Single Crochet is the densest of all the plain stitches (apart from chains and slip stitches) so well suited to toys which will contain stuffing.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd October 2020, 9:40 pm

I really need to extend my repertoire and learn some new stitches and techniques. Must dig out my crochet book!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 4th October 2020, 11:57 am

I've tried things like smallish toys in crochet but with little success. I suppose, because I'm an experienced knitter, I haven't the inclination to persevere.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th October 2020, 6:28 pm

One of this weekend's little craft jobs was to make some simple drawstring bags for my granddaughter's toys so that things can be kept together. (At the moment there is a jumble of sticklebricks, duplo, wooden bricks and other bits and pieces at the bottom of the toy box.) My daughter hasn't got time to organise things (I don't know how she manages to parent a 20 month old and a 12 year old stepson as well as working...) So I asked if I could try out a couple of these bags. I'm making them in different colours with ribbon drawstrings so hopefully she can identify the contents of the bags by colour rather than me needing to label them - she can't read anyway! I'm hoping it will make it easier for her to play constructively, as she gets very bored. And as we look after her one day a week or more it will help us too. I have to admit that I do like order - not to the point of being obsessive about it, but I think I'm an organiser by nature (or nurture).
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next