A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 31 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 31 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 6th June 2017, 9:32 pm

The strawberries have been good so far, and I have picked a second large bowlful from just a couple of plants (Sonata and Delia). The ones in the greenhouse didn't survive the silly high temperatures in the spring sadly, but I'm now growing Tumbling Tom tomatoes in one of the baskets in the greenhouse, and they look a lot happier!

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 31 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 15th June 2017, 12:00 pm

I think this thread needs to be What Am I NOT Harvesting Today. Been away for a few days and come back to my currant and gooseberry bushes stripped of their crop. I had laid some netting over, but to no avail. This morning watched a fat woodpigeon scoffing my raspberries, breaking all the brittle fruiting stems in the process. Can't wait for my fruit cage.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th June 2017, 1:33 pm

Oh Freebird, that is a bummer, so disheartening. I lost my entire gooseberry crop a couple of years ago while I was away.
I always have a small army of blackbirds waiting for my blackcurrants and redcurrants but they are not too greedy and I don't mind sharing a bit with them. It is a bit cheeky when they just retire to the nearby fence and wait for me to go away again.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th June 2017, 4:27 pm

My gooseberry is usually OK from bird attack - it is more at risk of sawfly (which are clever little blighters, as they are so good at sitting on the edges of leaves that you can't see them!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th June 2017, 7:53 am

I have a similar problem with grapes and blackbirds. They can strip a vine clean with great efficiency ! And I am too soft to deprive them of their meal.

Yesterday I picked strawberries, broad beans, new potatoes and chard. It was Mrs C-H's birthday, so we made the best of the good weather and had a barbecue. The veg we cooked in foil parcels- potatoes are nice that way - and the strawberries I used to decorate a cake.

The garlic is dying back quickly; a little scrat around shows that they have bulbed up nicely, so should be ready to lift soon. Peas are starting to swell tioo. It's going to be a lean year for sweetcorn though; really high winds after I planted them out have snapped some of them off at the ground, and there weren't many to start with.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th June 2017, 2:07 pm

First red tomato out the greenhouse (though a Tumbler plant outside in a basket not far behind) and yesterday the first handful of sugarsnap peas. Oh, and my Tut peas just coming into flower.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th June 2017, 11:14 pm

I forgot the courgettes too. Those, the sugarsnaps and the last of the asparagus went into a stir fry this evening, with raspberries for afters.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th June 2017, 9:20 pm

Are your courgettes in a greenhouse? Mine (outside) haven't even got flowers yet!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th June 2017, 2:09 pm

No, the courgettes are outside.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:42 pm

That's phenomenal!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th June 2017, 8:37 pm

Mine aren't ready yet, just about 3" long. But the allotment is so very hot and dry, I can't imagine them swelling quickly.

So for lack of courgettes, I picked more broad beans, chard and strawberries. Oh, and a couple of overwintering onions. Don't think we'll need to buy onions again in 2017.

The chard we have now tried steaming, grilling on the barbecue, and cooking in foil parcels on the bbq with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. Still bland, but edible. Looking forward to some other veg now Smile
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 20th June 2017, 10:19 pm

The polytunnel courgette (Parthenon) is producing a glut already and I've had my first round one from the garden too. I'm nearly buried under mangetout from the polytunnel, I can't keep up with picking them, and I've just picked a bagful of French beans from the polytunnel. It's a good thing they're producing as I was really late getting any into the garden.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st June 2017, 4:30 pm

Four ounces of peas (enough to make a pea and lemon risotto) and still more strawberries and tayberries.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th June 2017, 10:06 am

Just 2 nights away, I picked before we left on Wednesday, came back yesterday and I filled a fish box with courgettes, French beans and mangetout from the polytunnel.
I've put a bag of French beans in the freezer and made pea soup with the mangetout that were too big.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 24th June 2017, 10:57 pm

730g of blackcurrants from my earlier bush, other bush only just turning. Am thinking blackcurrant jam. Also a few handfuls of blueberries and raspberries. Cucumbers put on a growth spurt while I was away and have a flower each now.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 25th June 2017, 8:32 pm

Picked my first green chillies (Apache) for tonight's curry.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th June 2017, 8:01 pm

Hmm. Bit jealous. My chillies are miles behind this year; very slow to grow on after emerging, but doing OK now. Tomatoes changing colour though, which is not too bad.

I did get a good harvest off my first row of peas, half a colander full when shelled. This means we have bought only one bag of frozen peas all year !

Cut my first courgette from the allotment. Oh, and the garlic ! It was rustier than a Morris Marina, so ithad to come out before the onions next door got rusty too, but it has produced good bulbs anyway, especially the Provence Wight.

I lifted the overwintering onions too, and set them on some wire mesh off the ground to dry,
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th June 2017, 11:02 pm

Aw, don't be too jealous CH. I did buy the plants as I just wasn't up and running early in the year for sowing.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 27th June 2017, 8:22 pm

My shallots are trying to harvest themselves, they are bulging further out of the ground every time I look! I also dug up one Pink Fir Apple potato just to see how they're doing. Nothing else to pick yet but outdoor cucumbers have tiny babies on them and broad beans some baby beans.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th June 2017, 9:38 pm

I'm in danger of disappearing under piles of French beans.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th June 2017, 10:05 pm

That sounds like a nasty way to go!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 28th June 2017, 11:19 am

I think death by courgette - which I nearly experienced last year - might be marginally worse Shocked
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th June 2017, 9:53 pm

That may be my fate this year: having said that my courgette plants didn't even have flowers a few weeks ago, they now have courgettes in plenty. (I blame the comfrey feed - it's obviously potent stuff!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2017, 8:46 am

My courgettes are very strange this year. I had no seed for my favourite variety, and rather than buy seed of something I didn't really want, I just bought two plants (with a view to ordering the seed for next year). Additionally, I had a single plant germinate from some seed swap seed. The two bought-in plants are making loads of fruits, but a lot are starting to die off before they get to any size. I can harvest them very small, but they seem reluctant to make the courgettes any larger - but there must be at least half a dozen developing courgettes on each plant at any time.

The seed swap plant, a yellow fruited variety, seems to be generally slower. Not so many fruits, and slow to develop. Fabulous colour though.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th June 2017, 8:50 pm

A very smug salad tonight. Homegrown lettuce, rocket, tomato and cucumber. Served with pasta with homemade pesto using new season's garlic. My smugness runs out at the basil though, had to buy that as mine is miserable this year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2017, 10:04 pm

Ooh, cucumbers already CH! My plants are growing well, but no sign of any fruits yet.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next