A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Knitting in the round
by FloBear Today at 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird Today at 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» whats on the menu
by Chilli-head 15th August 2017, 10:25 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44558 messages in 2315 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What have I done in the workshop today?

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by johana1182 on 15th January 2016, 8:08 am

Looks good,but how's result ???

johana1182

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 15th January 2016, 10:00 am

That pear bowl.  Now, I have made stuff from fruitwood in the past and I know it shrinks and twists a lot as it dries, but I still didn't expect this:

That's not an error in the aspect ratio of the picture, it is now 165mm x 140mm.  Distinctly oval.  I've planed the base back flat so it does not wobble, but I'm still deciding what to do with it.  Perhaps it's shape could be regarded as character. It is a shame that lovely pinkish terracotta colour of the fresh wood has faded to a less exciting brown.  Perhaps a food safe oil finish might restore it a bit.  Or I always need kindling.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 15th January 2016, 5:00 pm

Ha! Maybe try some pear juice on it, CH. I know to my cost that if you allow pear juice to drip on your best white top and don't clean it off immediately, it dries to a pinkish brown stain that NEVER comes out.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 16th January 2016, 5:30 pm

Nothing wrong with an oval bowl so long as it doesn't continue to change shape. How long after turning did it do it?
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th January 2016, 11:43 am

It sat around for about three weeks looking fairly round, then quite rapidly shrank and distorted. My friend Jim who I gave a piece of the same wood to also made a bowl, with exactly the same result.

Jim has, for the past year, been working on improving his bowl turning. He set himself the target of making one a week for a year - in fact he made rather more than that. The pear wood bowl was the one that distorted the most !

I have oiled it with walnut oil, and it has regained a bit of the interesting colour. Not sure what to do with it yet, it can sit on the shelf for a bit while I think of a use for it.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 13th September 2016, 1:17 pm

The weekend just gone was Wimpole's produce fair.  I like this event, though the stalls were a bit fewer than ideal, there were some good local food businesses there to visit - bread, hot sauces, jam, fudge etc.  There was also a Cretan produce stall - the company is local, though the produce comes from his family farm on Crete.  He also did a tasty spinach pie for lunch !

Wimpole green woodworkers were there, and to add to the event Matt brought along some of his rather nice Cambridge honey to sell.  The theme being produce, it seemed time to make a bit of food related treen.  I've been wanting to have a go at making one of these Roman style turned spoons for a while ....

Was a devil to turn.  The starting point is a ~5" log of sycamore, split in not quite half, then the larger piece roughed into shape with axe and saw.  The put on a mandrel, and the outside of the bowl and rim turned, reversed, and the inside of the bowl hollowed out.  Trouble is all the time that bit that forms the handle is wanging around off centre, and getting in the way.  Very creative positioning of the tool rest needed to avoid collision, and a lot of care over where you leave your fingers !

Finally, there is a ring around the outside where the handle and the spout are joined that can't be turned; the excess here is trimmed away with axe and knife.  I could have smoothed it out more, but I thought I quite liked the faceted band as a decoration.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 20th May 2017, 2:10 pm

Crikey, a lot of dust has settled here.

I cleared some space to start over on chair #4 yesterday. A lath back chair, in a more greenwood/craft sort of style than the last one. This will be chair 3 of our not-quite-a-set of dining chairs, the idea being that they are all handmade from green ash and woven seagrass, but each in a slighly different style, but with common elements to the turnery. This one if for Mrs C-H, who likes some lumbar support, which the steam bent back laths can provide. So far I've planed up some ash to 8mm think boards to be bent into the laths. Also acquired a 1m long ash log to make the back legs last weekend, spare from the log to leg races at the bodger's ball.

It is of course last weekend's visit to the Bodgers' ball that has got the enthusiasm back. A rather diminished turn out from the Wimpole gang, but a bigger event overall despite that. I took along my Smoker's bow and entered it into the craft competition armchair category - but no prize for me this time, the competition was quite strong, first prize going to a colonial American style chair that was very well made. I saw a good few things I'd like to try - a hexagonal stool, plates, and a mug with a handle turned in one piece - very tricky !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 20th May 2017, 6:55 pm

I managed to miss your post of 8 months ago. I love your Roman spoon thing and can see that it must have been very challenging to turn.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

Finally got my axe out and got back to chairmaking yesterday.  I got 4 spindles turned, and another four roughed out ready for the lathe.  Funny wood.  It is ash, but you can tell the difference between Shropshire ash and Wimpole ash !  Harder to split and turn, it seem somehow more "fibrous" ?  It would probably make great axe handles.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 29th July 2017, 12:12 pm

This has kept me busy for the last 10 days or so. A lot of hours of work, though it doesn't look like it. It's rare for me to get a calligraphy commission these days, but I have inscribed the names on the previous board for the last 18 years. I was hoping that if they had a new one (they nearly decided not) the work would come my way.

Oh! Why does it do that? It's the right way up in my photos.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 30th July 2017, 8:02 am

What a lovely piece of work, Freebird. And pleasing to hear that someone values real artwork.
I like the way the light catches the gilding in the twirly bits.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

Gosh, that's beautiful. I presume it comes bank to you each year to add names.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top