A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Guest 18th March 2010, 3:56 pm

Yes C-h thats it....I am wishing very ahrd for one!

Hoeing is so important for me. I can not just weed. Obviously hoeing each day is idea as then nothing gets established.

How you hoe is so varied. I think it depends on your balance, height, upper body weight, eye sight etc. I skim forward using a long handled dutch hoe most of the time for weeding just-germinated weeds and can do all the beds in 2 hours.

You have to stop your self going too close to the plants if the hoe is sharp! And some plants like onions don't like it as the have surface roots.

Dandelion you could have a mad 1/2 hour in a good gardening centre trying them all out! :bounce:

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Guest 18th March 2010, 6:28 pm

I have started the annual fight with the green enemy....Twisted Evil ....the lawn mower started first time and the vegi plot is now almost to bowling green shortness, but it will not last Evil or Very Mad
I also shifted another trailer full of ewe poo from our neihbour's dutch barn.... only another 50 to go!!!! According to the Victorian studies it is the most potent manure going... even better than cow or horse, and that takes some beating. :face:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th March 2010, 8:35 pm

Zoe wrote:

Dandelion you could have a mad 1/2 hour in a good gardening centre trying them all out! :bounce:

Well that's my Saturday spoken for, then!! Will take Mr D with me to prevent from buying them all instead of being decisive. He can alo apologise to the garden centre manager on my behalf....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18th March 2010, 10:00 pm

Dandelion,
Please give my sympathies to Mr D.....
Zoe just loves all those Wolf 'toys' too garden

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th March 2010, 10:33 pm

I love them all too!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th March 2010, 10:32 am

It must partly go back to that childhood thing of collecting; getting all the stamps in a series, or all the trolls, or all the Sindy outfits. I've put hooks up in my shed for all the wolf attachments I've got - maybe I should put some extra hooks up for all the tools I haven't got yet, and ask my family to fill the gaps!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th March 2010, 5:07 pm

Managed to get a line of peas in before it started to rain heavily. Much needed and appreciated spring - warm - rain.

1st line of mangetout are above ground. Its always a relief when the new season growth starts...phew we may have fresh food soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 19th March 2010, 5:38 pm

Cursed the weather because my washing got rained on.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 19th March 2010, 6:05 pm

Have spent the day fencing in the apples trees that I planted last year. Once we have reoriented the chicken barn, then they and the duck will have a large secure paddock to do their thing in, I will have deer proofed apple trees and will not have to spend half my year hunting for nests in the upper meadow.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th March 2010, 6:47 pm

Cleared and burned the brash from my hedge laying (in the warm rain). This might be the only layed hedge in France>
One of the chickens obviously thought she was on the menu tonight as she was scratching 4" from the bonfire... a bit Douglas Adamsish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 19th March 2010, 8:19 pm

Grrr, work all day, grotty weather, nothing done today... What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 6
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th March 2010, 12:14 pm

Wood Troll wrote:Dandelion,
Please give my sympathies to Mr D.....
Zoe just loves all those Wolf 'toys' too garden

Mr D thanks you for your kind thoughts! ☀
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 20th March 2010, 12:23 pm

Wood Troll wrote:Cleared and burned the brash from my hedge laying (in the warm rain). This might be the only layed hedge in France>
One of the chickens obviously thought she was on the menu tonight as she was scratching 4" from the bonfire... a bit Douglas Adamsish.

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_biggrin I had all the hens come out in the wood to see what we were up to, when we were doing the same as you WT and several of them went so close to the fire they singed their feathers.......

Stupid birds...... What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_rolleyes

Mmm bbq chicken mmmm
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick B 20th March 2010, 2:20 pm

Well we planted some more Broad beans and peas aswell as some onions, I got DS JP to clear some weeds from under the cabbages,
repotted some pumpkins to bigger pots and now they are all in the green house.
I've also seen that may parsnips that I put into modules are now coming up so I've must make sure I put them in at just the right time????
Nick B
Nick B

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st March 2010, 5:25 pm

Pulled up some weeds...soil warm. Noticed the annual weeds are starting to germinate.

Worked out the final parts of the layout of the veg plots so I can start seeding and planting out. Seems as if I might have enough room this year (300m sq) What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_biggrin Wood Troll sighs in relief What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_cheers (ssh don't tell him about the winter bed out of the frost hollow!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st March 2010, 8:30 pm

Dismantled 14 compost bins, having moved all the compost out....

put down geotextile under them and put them back...then put back all the compost....

Sowed peas, mange tout, parsnips in tubes and lots more salads and herbs

Dug some spud trenches
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 21st March 2010, 9:05 pm

Compostwoman wrote:Dismantled 14 compost bins, having moved all the compost out....

put down geotextile under them and put them back...then put back all the compost....

Sowed peas, mange tout, parsnips in tubes and lots more salads and herbs

Dug some spud trenches

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Smiley-shocked012

I'm glad you're still gradually working up to things after your recent malaise... What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Smiley-laughing003
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st March 2010, 9:07 pm

Zoe wrote:
(ssh don't tell him about the winter bed out of the frost hollow!)

Not listening, no not listening my precious!

Last edited by Wood Troll on 21st March 2010, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st March 2010, 9:10 pm

Compostwoman wrote:Dismantled 14 compost bins, having moved all the compost out....

14?? 14?? How long did that take you?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st March 2010, 9:24 pm

Umm...all yesterday afternoon ( in the rain) with CM and I on it and then most of this morning with me on it while he did manly tree felling stuff....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 22nd March 2010, 8:01 am

Some of them were half empty though.... !
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd March 2010, 7:15 pm

We have compost "corrals" built in pairs each pair holds about 6 cu metres..we'll put a picture up. We have 3 pairs!

Today I put the onion sets in..tomorrow will have to ensure chickens understand it is not an area they can go. Or I'll have to sprinkle on some more wood ash to deter them, until they get the message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 22nd March 2010, 7:17 pm

My 14 are all 1 cu metre each, plus the 3, 800 l ones and a few of the dalek types.....

most contained finished compost so were full of solid stuff....a lot of work!!

Ah well, its done now What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd March 2010, 7:42 pm

Not quite in the garden but....
mowing paths before the enemy gets the upper hand What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 354387

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 22nd March 2010, 8:03 pm

mmm I was wondering about doing that tomorrow...if it stays dry...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd March 2010, 8:08 pm

I'm woodworking tomorrow... making a top bar beehive What have you done in the garden today? - Page 5 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next