A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

New Kiva loan Hca_button

New Kiva loan

3 posters

Go down

New Kiva loan Empty New Kiva loan

Post by Chilli-head 3rd January 2019, 3:21 pm

To get things going again, I've chipped in a top-up to support these ladies:

Makossa Female Farmers Group, Makossa, Sierra Leone.

New Kiva loan 4e05f41d38c0fc8d582e54774a6c64d5

Makossa Female Farmers Group's story

Fatmata (1st on the left), is the featured borrower of the Makossa Female Farmers group, and would like to sincerely thank all of the Kiva lenders for their first loan. It enabled them to break free from the local lenders who were charging them nearly 100% interest and, as a result, all group members have fully recovered their businesses, have repaid their first loan and are successfully farming again after the devastation of Ebola.

The group is now seeking a second loan to expand further. The profits will be used to ensure all member's children go to school, and will also be used by the group to create a support fund for young female farmers.

In this group: Fatmata, Mabinty, Kadiatu, Aminata, Fatmata, Adama, Isatu, Ramatu, Fatmata, Isatu, Adamsay, Amie

More about this loan

This is an interest free, in-kind loan provided to contract farmers in the form of quality rice and other inputs at the begining of planting season. The loan amount is repaid using paddy rice harvested by farmers. In addition, MLA(*) provides market to the farmers for their entire rice harvest at competitive prices with transportation to the milling factory offered by the partner at no additional costs. By supporting this loan, you are enabling smallholder farmers to access quality farm inputs in order to improve their yield and increase the land under cultivation for increased income.

In addition to any KIVA loan disbursed to these Farmers, Mountain Lion Agriculture (mlbr.org) farmers also have access to technical advise, tractor and equipment rentals. With this powerful mix of capital and support, each farmer’s annual net income should grow – organically and sustainably – by at least 250%, while growing a much needed staple food (rice) during a time of great food insecurity in Sierra Leone.

About Mountain Lion Agriculture

Mountain Lion Agriculture is a social enterprise working to help smallholder rice farmers in Sierra Leone grow and succeed. Mountain Lion Agriculture provides both low-interest as well as 0% loans to farmers in the form of quality seeds and supports them throughout the production process before buying their rice at a fair price.

(*) Mountain Lion Agriculture (MLA) is the Kiva local loan partner.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

New Kiva loan Empty Re: New Kiva loan

Post by Dandelion 4th January 2019, 3:40 pm

An excellent choice - thank you
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd June 2020, 9:33 pm

Just a quick note to say I haven't abandoned this - repayments are a bit slow that's all.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd June 2020, 10:43 pm

Thank you
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st July 2020, 3:13 pm

Makossa Female Farmers Group have now repaid their loan in full, we lost a little on currency exchange so I've chipped in a small top-up to support Katerina from Samoa:

New Kiva loan 4946ec10
Katerina's story

Katerina is 23 years old, married, and has two children. Her husband makes and sells furniture to earn a living, which he has been doing for four years.

Katerina requested a loan from SPBD [South Pacific Business Development], which she will use to buy varnish, timber, stencils, brushes, rollers, wooden carved designs, and a new cutter. She plans to use her profits to pay for her family's weekly expenses. Katerina joined SPBD in 2017 to gain access to financial services.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd July 2020, 10:44 pm

Brilliant - thank you for doing that CH
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd July 2020, 10:50 am

Me being me, I am always drawn to people with crafty ambitions ! There was another lady from Tonga making tapa - traditional decorated cloth made from the inner bark of the Mulberry tree; her husband was a farmer and had planted trees to supply the long tern needs but they were damaged by storms. That's the difficulty with Kiva - there's lots of people who could use some help out there !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd July 2020, 12:37 pm

I quite like the loans which are one or two donations away from being fulfilled, and being able to push it into happening
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th May 2021, 10:24 pm

Katerina has almost paid off her loan, so soon be time to lend again. I've picked the last two based on my interests and the forum ethos; I favour agriculture (preferably fairly organic) and traditional crafts ... if anyone has any thoughts though, I'm all ears !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th May 2021, 10:15 pm

I quite like projects which are sustainable, for instance one I saw recently was to buy solar powered lights.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th June 2021, 11:21 pm

Katerina has now fully repaid her loan, so we can lend again.  I've chosen to support Elias in Kenya;

New Kiva loan Ee3d444405fe60c82a0fd2e7b62e6875
Elias's story

Elias is a 50-year-old man living in Eldoret, Kenya. He's a mixed dairy and crop farmer with many years of experience. Farming has turned his life around.

The major impediment to development of smallholder farms in Kenya is lack of short-term credit. Juhudi Kilimo, in partnership with Kiva, is working hard to support smallholder farmers in Kenya through financing, thereby guaranteeing their survival.

Elias is seeking this loan to buy a water tank he'll use to harvest rain water that normally goes to waste during rainy seasons. With the loan, he'll be able to irrigate his farm, increasing his crop productivity. Be inspired to support Elias with a loan today.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird and FloBear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th June 2021, 7:48 am

Great choice, CH.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th June 2021, 5:18 pm

Yes, brilliant. Thank you CH.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd August 2021, 12:14 pm

Elias has started repaying already !

I notice PayPal are discontinuing their "money pools" feature which I use for the "Donate" option on the left - I'd quite like to keep some sort of mechanism there so I'll have to look at what they can offer as options. I think the rules prohibit having more than one account.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd August 2022, 11:08 am

Elias has now repaid his loan, so time to pick a new borrower.  I've chipped in a fiver to cover currency losses and Kiva donations, and chosen George in Uganda:

New Kiva loan F66326acf83e72d2044fac58f01447ba

George is a 48 year old man, married, with 4 children. He is a farmer who grows seasonal crops like maize, beans, groundnuts and bananas, both for food consumption and sale. His farm was producing good quality yields, however the recent harvests have been bad due to poor soil.

George is seeking a loan to better his soil by buying manure and mulch. He will then be able to improve his product output, revive his business, and serve his customers with better produce like before.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd August 2022, 9:36 pm

George sounds like a very worthy recipient. Thank you for sorting this out CH.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th August 2022, 11:07 pm

By e-mail from Kiva.

This update on your loan to Elias was written by Kiva's Field Partner.

Dear lenders, We would like to express our appreciation for your generosity in support of Juhudi Kilimo and the smallholder farmers of Kenya. Your personal commitment has been incredibly helpful and allowed us to reach our goal of transforming lives. I am excited to report that Elias has successfully repaid the loan to buy a water tank he'll use to harvest rain water that normally goes to waste during rainy seasons . Again, thank you! It is great to know that we have friends from all over the world who support our farmers. Sincerely, The Juhudi Kilimo Team

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2022, 9:21 pm

Wonderful
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st January 2023, 5:41 pm

George in Uganda has fully repaid his loan, so ... New Year, new loan:

New Kiva loan 47d911997efc9687506f0e00bbf7e0e9

Marie Lucienne's story

Marie Lucienne is a widow. She is 49 years old and has seven children, including five who are already independent. She lives in a family home located in an isolated village. She has been raising free ranges chickens for twenty years. She partners with Vahatra. During her previous loan, she invested her profits in growing peanuts and rice. At this point, she wishes to increase her flock of chickens. She wants to raise her income and improve her family's living conditions. Therefore, she needs the lenders' support to buy medium chickens, as well as corn and supplies to feed her flock. She will save her profits and plans to build a home for her family in the future.

A loan of $150 helps to buy medium free range chickens as well as corn and supplies to feed them.

This loan is special because it helps the poorest of the poor in Madagascar to improve their lives.

This loan is facilitated by our Field Partner, Vahatra. Field Partners are local organizations working in communities to vet borrowers, provide services, and administer loans on the ground.

Vahatra is a non-profit organization that provides low-income families in Madagascar with opportunities for education, healthcare, professional training, and family services. The organization specifically targets families who earn an average income of $1 or less per day per person, and evaluates each family's need to provide unique and tailored services. With Kiva's assistance, Vahatra will be able to provide loans for more people, therefore providing low-income families with new opportunities.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th January 2023, 9:31 pm

Oh well done - a great choice
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

Marie Lucienne has repaid her loan now. I've donated the $25 Kiva account balance to them, taking advantage of a day when eBay were offering top match donations. Hopefully it can continue to do some good.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down