A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon Hca_button

How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon

+4
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Hathorite
polgara
Dandelion
8 posters

Go down

How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon Empty How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon

Post by Dandelion 1st October 2010, 10:22 pm

In these days of economy, it is still possible (if you add a few extra ingredients) to make a meal with four rashers of bacon.

For instance, there's good old quiche (although Mr D prefers it if it's a flan!) - just add some eggs and cream/milk, a bit of grated cheese and black pepper and pour into a pastry case.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon Empty Re: How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon

Post by polgara 1st October 2010, 10:38 pm

1 Make a suet pastry, roll into an oblong place rashers on suet with some chopped onion & mixed herbs. roll up & steam for 2-3 hours or pressure cook for an hour.

2 Chop some onions & whatever, chop bacon, slice some potatoes make a white sauce
layer with potatoes & white sauce on the top cook in the oven. Add herbs etc to taste.

3 Chop bacon & onion & fry. Slice some potatoes boil & coat with oil/fat. Put potatoes in the bottom of frying pan & start to crisp them a bit, sprinkle onion & bacon on top of potatoes beat up some eggs & pour over the bacon & veg, cook till crisp on the bottom & brown the top under the grill. Add tomatoes if liked & whatever else you can think off.

What makes you think I like bacon meals. nomming
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon Empty Re: How to make a meal with four rashers of bacon

Post by Hathorite 2nd October 2010, 7:49 am

Cornbread isn't a big thing in the UK, because it's made in way which is rather dry and tasteless - there's ways however to make it a lot more tasty, and while I can't get creamed corn in the US unless I make it myself (which makes the ultimate cornbread) I found a recipe on the British Larder which is sort of a "posh version" of cornbread. You can use any cheese you want - I've used a veined shropshire cheese which was lovely and sharp. If you use self-rising flour you may still need to add a bit of baking powder, but they aren't going to rise much. The secret to proper moist cornbread is to only just cook it till done in the centre - overcook and you're left with dry stuff. I've also made this by pouring it straight into a cast iron skillet, which gives a beautiful golden crust

100g smoked back bacon
100g Gorgonzola cheese
175g plain flour
75g polenta
1tsp baking powder
small pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1tsp chopped mixed soft herbs (such as chives, parsley and basil)
50g melted butter
150ml full fat milk
1 whole egg
smoked paprika for dusting

Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease the chosen muffin moulds, I used a flexible oven safe rubber mould with each hole measuring 5cm wide x 3cm high.

Cut the bacon in 5mm dice; heat a non stick frying pan and sauté the bacon until golden brown and cooked. Set aside and let the bacon cool completely.

Weigh the flour, polenta, baking powder a very small pinch of salt and a grinding of black pepper in to a mixing bowl. Chop the chosen soft herbs and add to the flour. Crumb the Gorgonzola between your fingers and add to the flour. Stir to coat the cheese with the flour it helps to separate the cheese and it does not all get stuck together in a lump. Drain the cooked bacon on kitchen paper and add to the flour mixture.

Melt the butter; add the milk and the egg whisk vigorously for a minute. Add the egg mixture to the flour, stir to mix, do not over work the mix, the secret for light muffins is do not to mix it too much. Work light and fast.

Spoon the mixture in to the prepared moulds, fill them to the top as they do not rise much, just a bit of a puff. Place the tray on the middle shelf of the preheated oven and bake for 25minutes. Once the muffins are cooked, remove the tray from the oven and dust it lightly with smoked paprika. Turn the muffins out on to a cooking rack and let them cool slightly before serving.

Makes 15 x 5cm wide small muffins

Read more: http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/gorgonzola-and-smoked-bacon-morning-muffins/#ixzz11BJXri9I

Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd October 2010, 4:39 pm

That sounds lovely H - might try that one!! Also like Pol's suet recipe (I've just had to go out on a mission to buy more suet for dumplings to go with our bean casserole tonight!)

You can make two pasta recipes with four rashers of bacon:
make a ragu with tomatoes, green or red pepper and bacon, reducing it until the tomatoes are quite thick then serve on hot pasta.

You can also chop the bacon fairly small and put it into a pan with lots of sliced mushrooms. Heat gently until the fat runs: this cooks the mushrooms as you gently turn them over. When the bacon and mushrooms are cooked mix with hot pasta, turning over so that the juices mix in and adding freshly ground black pepper.
One of my brood didn't like 'wet' pasta sauces, so this was a good alternative.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 2nd October 2010, 5:21 pm

Or spaghetti carbonara of course. chop the bacon and fry till almost crisp. toss with a beaten egg, some double cream, a big wodge of grated parmesan and a few peas if you like and stir through the pasta. plop a raw egg yolk on top as you serve.

Or simple dirty rice with lots of garlic, some peas and a dash or two of soy sauce.

Or just stick all four rashers between two slices of bread, enjoy your bacon sandwich and let everyone else fend for themselves.

It does depend on the definition of 'rasher' of course. Because we make and slice our own bacon, our rashers are pretty thick - like a shop-bought gammon steak - and also don't shrink when cooked because there is no pumped in brine. Four rashers is therefore quite a substantial amount. Proper butcher's bacon shouldn't shrink or exude brine sludge either, but four rashers of supermarket stuff would be a pretty scant platter.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 2nd October 2010, 8:18 pm

The bacon we get from DT Waller in Ledbury is huge and doesn't give off that revolting gunk, either so am with Billy on this one, sometimes one rasher of his bacon is "enough" for a sandwich....but then I love bacon so always have more

probably why I am the general shape of a barrel Very Happy

Having liver and onions and bacon, oven chips and assorted veg tonight, in fact...it is ready now. mmmmm must dash!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd October 2010, 2:08 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote: Four rashers is therefore quite a substantial amount. Proper butcher's bacon shouldn't shrink or exude brine sludge either, but four rashers of supermarket stuff would be a pretty scant platter.

Point taken - it's just that sometimes when you're 'down on your uppers' it's good to know that you can produce a meal out of next to nothing
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 3rd October 2010, 8:23 pm

I regularly make a tomato and bacon cobbler which doesn't require much on the ingredients front, but is super yummy. Recipe is online here.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd October 2010, 9:47 pm

The topping sounds a bit like scone dough, or is it softer than that?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 4th October 2010, 5:12 pm

It is quite like scone dough - quite sticky when you make it but crisps up lovely in the oven and makes a great alternative just having pasta, potatoes or rice with things.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 4th October 2010, 6:08 pm

Dandelion wrote:
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote: Four rashers is therefore quite a substantial amount. Proper butcher's bacon shouldn't shrink or exude brine sludge either, but four rashers of supermarket stuff would be a pretty scant platter.

Point taken - it's just that sometimes when you're 'down on your uppers' it's good to know that you can produce a meal out of next to nothing

yes but therein lies the rub - supermarket bacon is a false economy - such a high percentage of it, by weight is just brine, which cooks off, whereas proper butcher bacon is pretty much teh same weight before and after cooking.

Besides which bacon offcuts and mis-shapes are available in most butchers. That is what we buy when we have none of our own and we pay £1.89 for a 900g bag. Compared to £2.50+ for half a dozen thin rashers about 300g in the supers.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th October 2010, 8:30 pm

We buy packs of offcuts too - it's amazing how many meals you can make with one bag. Sometimes you find a section of rashers tucked up in the bag (which the junior dandelions prefer)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becci 18th January 2011, 11:24 pm

Laughing at the bacon sandwich!

I love bacon but can only afford the cheap stuff int he supermarket Crying or Very sad but at $9/kg it's not too bad.

We like to make a creamy bacon pasta sorta like an Alla Panna. Cook diced bacon, onion and garlic, pour in some cream and parmesan and toss through cooked pasta. I also like to cook off some mushrooms and capisum when they are cheap too
Becci
Becci

http://limetreecreations.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 4th September 2011, 10:43 am

Just found this. It is a wartime recipe by good old Marguerite

2ozs leek or onion peeled & chopped
2ozs bacon chopped
1pint stock or water
6ozs macaroni
salt & pepper
watercress.

Fry leek/onion or bacon till lightly brown
Add liquid & when boiling add the macaroni & seasoning.
Cook till the macaroni is tender & the water absorbed
Serve hot with the watercress

Said serves 4.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 4th September 2011, 12:34 pm

I do a nice dish with just a little bacon in it.

fry off some onion, garlic and chilli and olive oil in a saucepan Chuck in a whole heap of fresh tomatoes that you've cut up. Simmer down to a nice thickness, add some bacon and mushrooms. Add some cream and serve with some rice and fresh herbs. If i've got leftover chicken i'll add that in there to heat up too.
Make a big batch and freeze some for lunches
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th September 2011, 3:09 pm

That sounds delicious KL!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down