A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Should they stay or should they go? Hca_button

Should they stay or should they go?

+5
Compostwoman
Dandelion
Adrian
mark barker
AngelinaJellyBeana
9 posters

Go down

Should they stay or should they go? Empty Should they stay or should they go?

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 9th October 2010, 7:22 pm

I've been having a bit of a cupboard tidy today and have got unopened bags of dried beans that are past their best before date
red kidney beans (bbe June 2010), haricot beans (bbe July 2010) and aduki beans (bbe Jan 2010). I hate being wasteful but should I throw them away or can I still use them?

Being on my own means I just don't get through some things fast enough.

AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Should they stay or should they go? Empty Re: Should they stay or should they go?

Post by mark barker 9th October 2010, 8:31 pm

I'd suggest they'd be fine... I tend to stick to the guidance with fresh produce, but dried stuff is unlikely to deteriorate that much over a couple of months....
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Should they stay or should they go? Empty Re: Should they stay or should they go?

Post by Adrian 9th October 2010, 8:59 pm

I reused my (2 years) out of date dried chickpeas as baking beans for pastry..
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th October 2010, 9:30 pm

My sister used to work for a well-known pharmaceutical company - OK, drugs aren't the same as food, but the sell-by dates on their products had a time margin. In other words, my sister used to say that if a product was best before the end of June 2010, it wouldn't suddenly go mouldy or lose its effectiveness on the evening of June 30th!!

I heard on radio 4 that there's a manufacturer who makes yogurt for three different supermarket chains. The yogurt is identical yet the sell-by dates for the three retailers vary by two weeks!

I have tried a few products a bit past their best dates, and have had various results. No-one has died yet... I wouldn't bother with bread mix which is out of date again, as it didn't rise, but things like dried beans , dried fruit etc should be OK. It comforts me that the food which was left by Scott in his last camp at the Antarctic is still edible. (OK, I know it's cold there...)

Well, that should dissuade anyone from this forum from coming round to eat at Dandelion Towers!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th October 2010, 11:35 pm

Best before dates are just that Ang, Best before..you can still use them after the date! As long as you have stored them according to the packaging instructions....

Use by is the one to be more fussy with, as it is applied to things which, if they "go wrong" could cause harm.

The UB dates are designed ( I believe, but do not quote me) to allow for people who go straight home with shopping in a cool bag and into a fridge at the correct temp AND those who go back to work for the afternoon and have fridges which "less than ideal"

They need to be adhered to, really.

I am a "Love Food Hate Waste " advisor, and as a third of all the food we all buy gets thrown away, it is good to know whch dates are "throw away" ones and which are " ok to eat for a bit after...."

More info here
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 10th October 2010, 5:41 am

The biggest problem with dry beans that are old....in my experience....is that they might never soften when cooked for hours.....other than that, they should be fine to eat. Your things don't seem that outdated. Also, like badger mentioned....you can always grind (if you have a way to do it) beans into flour and add them to soups and breads to increase the protein content.
Lizbuff13
Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th October 2010, 10:14 am

I think about what the product "will do next"..... will it get dry with age, loose its flavour, absorb too much moisture, perfect a green fur coat or things start crawling out? And then decide on whether it can be cooked for longer, used as bulk, fed to the chickens or turned into electricity (thats what happens to our household waste!)

With beans they will get very dry, but a shorter best before date might be because of the hatching factor!

What I would do is soak the beans in boiling water.... if nothing crawls out....cook up a big stew/soup with all the veg cleared from the garden, including pumpkin and freeze.

Foot Note: I knew someone who worked for a chocolate manufacturer and the eat by date means "eat it before the next festive season so you will buy more"

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th October 2010, 11:08 am

If you do decide to throw them, they will happily compost!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka 10th October 2010, 12:42 pm

CW - "Love Food, Hate Waste" - what a fantastic site, thank you so much, it went straight into My Favorites. Smile
Snoopka
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th October 2010, 1:16 pm

Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 10th October 2010, 3:45 pm

Thanks
There's no weevils or anything crawling around in the bags. I'll give them a go and see what happens and if they don't taste too good then I'll compost them.

AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th October 2010, 4:22 pm

If they have been sealed up I really would not worry, myself. We are currently eating some May 2010 raisins!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka 10th October 2010, 4:44 pm

I have to confess that, up until I discovered that food moths can, apparently, harbour diseases (saw that when I googled for a friend), I sometimes still used food that had had the larvae or the moths themselves. I just brushed away the webs and droppings and live or dead maggots, as long as the food could be cooked. That happened with flour, oatflakes, and probably other foodstuffs.

I figured that cooking will kill any bacteria or other organisms anyway, it seemed bad to just throw food away....

I did not always tell the people I cooked for, that I was doing this.... Laughing In fact, I might never have told anyone....
Snoopka
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 10th October 2010, 7:15 pm

I ahve found that elderly dried beans fail to soften = but yours don't sounds that oldto me. i thikn i ahve soem older ones in my cupboard, which I might try pressure cooking.

I have a terrible time with food moths - my rule is if i find evidence of them the food goes, but i do wonder what i amy have cooked andd consumed not knowing they wre there!

Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th October 2010, 10:03 am

On saturday I made popcorn from a packet marked with a best before sometime in 2007. I still seem to be alive Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum