A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Hca_button

Compost - question and answer thread

+12
mr_sfstk8d
Dandelion
Nick B
Chilli-head
polgara
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Hairyloon
John Cossham
Sparhawk
Mike
MrsC
Compostwoman
16 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Compost - question and answer thread

Post by Compostwoman 25th February 2010, 11:12 am

Their principle of operation is basically the same as a compost bin, but hotter and sealed up from vermin.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Compost - question and answer thread

Post by Hairyloon 25th February 2010, 12:11 pm

Compostwoman wrote:Their principle of operation is basically the same as a compost bin, but hotter and sealed up from vermin.
So, seal up my "dalek", insulate it, and get a cat for good measure.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th February 2010, 12:13 pm

would work!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 25th February 2010, 6:41 pm

Compostwoman wrote:would work!
Nah. I thought I'd probably use plastic... and your spelling is usually better than that. Wink
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 25th February 2010, 6:59 pm

I have heard very poor reports of the Green Cone but good ones of the Green Johanna.

I have never understood why cooked veg is not supposed to be composted. Could someone enlighten?
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 25th February 2010, 10:37 pm

I think cooked veg is supposed to encourage vermin, well so they say.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th February 2010, 10:40 pm

Yes, just the vermin issue really. Although if it has been in a kitchen it is covered by the Animal By products regs so shouldn't be disposed of in open compost (or in hens, pigs etc...)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 26th February 2010, 11:15 am

Still reckon rat farming is the way forward for large scale processing of food waste. Wink
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st March 2010, 1:35 pm

I've read the "How I make compost" thread below, various other descriptions from HDRA and even Geoff Hamilton, but I still struggle with hot composting on a domestic scale ... how to get enough stuff at one time to build a hot heap ? I can't store it up or it will obligingly start to compost before I'm ready for it, and I only get enough to fill a cubic metre bin if I have a serious session with a bowsaw and the garden shredder. I'm already composting all I can think of, including compostable packaging and vegetable remains from work. And having filled the bin, it quickly vanishes to almost nothing - should I top it up, or start a new one ? If the latter, I need a lot more heaps ..

At the moment, I just chuck on stuff as I go along, and sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's not ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 1st March 2010, 4:39 pm

Chilli-head wrote:.... And having filled the bin, it quickly vanishes to almost nothing - should I top it up, or start a new one ? If the latter, I need a lot more heaps ..
At the moment, I just chuck on stuff as I go along, and sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's not ...

Hot is relative and you might not have the volume to get hot enough to kill every weed seed, etc. but if you are finding that your compost "quickly vanishes to almost nothing" you must be digesting OK. An overly cool compost pile digests slowly.

Whether you can just keep adding more on top depends a lot on the desgin of your composter. There are plenty that are intended for exactly this mode of operation. You put stuff in on top and remove finished compost from a door at the bottom. Every so often you open the door and begin scooping out finished stuff, stopping when you see signs of stuff not yet done.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 1st March 2010, 4:50 pm

Just going back to the cooked food issue for a moment - maybe we have undiscerning vermin where we are, but I have never known the rats here turn their noses up at uncooked food. They certainly demolish any stored fruit/veg/rain that is not stored in metal casings, so why should it make any difference to them with compost heaps? (I was going to say why should they give a rat's arse, but thought better of it.)
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick B 2nd March 2010, 11:43 am

All this talk about rats makes my skin crawl :affraid: :affraid:
Nick B
Nick B

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 10th March 2010, 10:57 pm

Nick B wrote:All this talk about rats makes my skin crawl :affraid: :affraid:
We could discuss my idea for rat farming again if you like?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 11th March 2010, 12:01 am

Uh ... hate to break this to you but he's right. If you have an open compost heap onto which you put garbage/raw vegeatable and fruit scraps, etc. there are critters that will come and feast. They do not require their food cooked and the only reason you don't see them do this is that almost all are mostly nocturnal. When you see the rats abroad by day usually means not enough food for them and so those of lower status need to forage by day when it's riskier.

Cooking does not increase the likelihood of "vermin".

Hey, you are worried about rodents prowling the outdoors? We're happier if they are out there and not in the house. I'd say you should worry more if they weren't out there. What would it say about the healthiness of your immediate surroundings if even rats can't survive.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th March 2010, 10:43 am

The cooked food issue with vermin ( and other fauna) ISN'T that it is cooked as such..it is that the Animal By Products Regulations, which came in in the UK after Foot and Mouth disease, prohibit the dumping of stuff on a compost heap if it has been processed in a kitchen.

uncooked kitchen veg waste is ok ( although AFAIR at one point it was also going to be prohibited...!) but once it has been cooked it has been "processed"

The same regs preclude feeding chickens, pigs etc with anything which has even been inside your kitchen..and also prohibits letting pigs, chickens etc scratch around on compost heaps/in bins.

Does that help at all? Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_smile
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 11th March 2010, 11:22 am

So, nothing to do with vermin at all, then?

Unless one extends the term 'vermin' to cover the jobsworths at DEFRA.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th March 2010, 11:45 am

There might be more to it than I have said...as I don't have a full copy of the regs in front of me, I am not sure of the finer details...but I would say that is a fair assessment... Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_twisted

Although, to be fair, swine fever, which also broke out at the same time and was instrumental in producing the regs as well, CAN get passed on via cooked meat apparently....

as ( I think) can some chicken ilnessess?

So maybe not so jobsworth, as such...but a sledgehammer/nut situation perhaps? At least as regards domestic kitchen waste.... Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 11th March 2010, 11:50 am

But what would swine fever or chicken ailment s have to do with vermin being attracted by cooked food?

I can see reasons why cooked meats should be treated with caution potentially but still fail to see what this has to do with me putting mashed potato in my compost bin.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th March 2010, 12:13 pm

I should, perhaps have made my points more clearly/emphatically...

so, to clarify and correct any minor errors or confusions I may well have caused..

Vermin attraction is usually the big issue with food waste on compost for most people.

You are not permitted commercially or in schools to dispose of it to compost UNLESS it is in a sealed vessel. (Green Johanna, Rocket etc)

I am not sure if you are actually forbidden to do so as a domestic householder, but it is certainly not a good idea because it attracts rats etc. Which can be an offence in its own right I think.

Likewise if you keep pigs or chickens you are not allowed to let them root or scratch on a working
compost area. (household or commercial makes no difference).

Uncooked veg waste is fine in household compost ( even if it has been in a kitchen....all the WRAP promotional stuff talks about peelings etc so its ok I guess) BUT uncooked food waste is NOT allowed inside chickens/pigs etc once it has been inside a kitchen.

Cooked waste isn't fine on open compost heaps or bins because of attracting vermin. It also must not be fed to chickens, pigs etc etc

Thats my understanding from what we have been told by WRAP/Garden Organic/Council
and the DEFRA ABPR, post Foot and Mouth..

Vermin is the usual issue for people with their compost, as most people don't keep chickens or pigs etc...and if they do they are considered to usually be farmers...who are supposed to know about all this and get inspected, anyway.....

To dispose of domestic cooked food waste.

A wormery is fine for cooked food.

A Green Cone or a Green Johanna ( or other sealed in vessel composter) is fine for cooked food.

A bokashi bin is fine for cooked food, as it transforms the cooked food into something else which is then ok to put on a compost bin...personally I can't think any self respecting rat would want to eat
ANYTHING after it had sat in a bokashi bucket for a month or so.... Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_pale but then I can't stand the smell of them...

Last edited by Compostwoman on 11th March 2010, 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 11th March 2010, 8:27 pm

Compostwoman wrote:The cooked food issue with vermin ( and other fauna) ISN'T that it is cooked as such..it is that the Animal By Products Regulations, which came in in the UK after Foot and Mouth disease, prohibit the dumping of stuff on a compost heap if it has been processed in a kitchen.
Now if I pretend that I haven't read that, then how the -ing hell, as an ordinary householder, am I supposed to know that?

How do they define "compost heap? I have an unusual taste in bird tables: mine is compost heap shaped. Wink
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 11th March 2010, 8:39 pm

Compostwoman wrote:I should, perhaps have made my points more clearly/emphatically...

so, to clarify and correct any minor errors or confusions I may well have caused..
Can we break this down a bit?
Ignoring the law (since this is an international forum) what are
1) Things that should not be composted, because it makes the compost go bad.
2) Things that are fine from a compost point of view, but may have undesirable side effects (e.g. vermin).
3) Things that have a known risk of infection if foraged by livestock. What risk. Citation please if poss.

And somebody remind me, what is the big problem with rat's? They're only squirrels without the fluffy tails.

Last edited by Hairyloon on 11th March 2010, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th March 2010, 8:40 pm

It isn't that easily broken down I am afraid...... Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_evil
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 11th March 2010, 8:42 pm

Compostwoman wrote:

Uncooked veg waste is fine in household compost ....

Cooked waste isn't fine on open compost heaps or bins because of attracting vermin.

I completely follow all of what you are saying CW, except these two bits.

My problem is this: Why should cooked waste attract vermin where uncooked waste would not?

Vermin make no distinction, in my experience, between raw and cooked food. Their sense of smell is no more finely attuned to steamed carrots than it is to fresh carrots or carrot peelings.

If for the sake of illustration, one ran two identical compost bins, open or dalek, and put into bin A just uncooked veg waste and into bin B leftover cooked veg, would you expect to find bin B had become a rat restaurant and bin A unscathed by mouse mastication?

(and I am not aiming this at you personally - I realise you don't make these rules, but you are the one who knows most about this stuff. Indeed the whole issue with cooked/uncooked seems to go beyond the DEFRA rulebook and be "The Accepted Wisdom". I just cannot figure out what the reasoning behind it is.)
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th March 2010, 8:49 pm

Nor can I Billy...I can only pass on what I have been told or read myself.....

I agree it is ****

from a simply vermin viewpoint I must agree I can't see there would be any difference as to which the vermin would want...

the cooked thing seems (I think) to have come from the ABPR stuff Compost - question and answer thread - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

I will dig about a bit more and see if I can come up with some more concrete references....but not right this moment....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 11th March 2010, 9:01 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Compostwoman wrote:

Cooked waste isn't fine on open compost heaps or bins because of attracting vermin.

My problem is this: Why should cooked waste attract vermin where uncooked waste would not?
They can digest it more effectively, therefore breed more productively.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 11th March 2010, 9:33 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Compostwoman wrote:

They can digest it more effectively, therefore breed more productively.

But the would not be getting so much roughage or vitamins and so would die earlier from bowel conditions.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next