A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Old college notes - what would you do? Hca_button

Old college notes - what would you do?

+5
Jaded Green
Dandelion
Hathorite
mark barker
Compostwoman
9 posters

Go down

Should I keep the old notes?

Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_lcap44%Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_lcap22%Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_lcap22%Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_lcap11%Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_lcap0%Old college notes - what would you do? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Old college notes - what would you do? Empty Old college notes - what would you do?

Post by Compostwoman 21st October 2010, 8:31 pm

I have just been given a huge box of my papers from College and Uni...1982- 1985 (Electronics HNC)and 1986 - 1989 (Materials Science degree ) vintage...CM removed them from the garage as being in the way ( which they are!) and I said I would sort them out...

CM is not making me do anything with them btw, but I sort of feel it is pointless to hang on to them..

part of me needs to keep it all and part of me feels " it was another life" which I no longer do any more...

and if I ever really needed to learn it all again (!) I could get the info from books, which I still have...

but there is 7 years of my life invested in those notes and coursework etc and I really do not want to recycle bin them ...

I still have all my Holistic Therapy , Forest School, Playwork, Adult Teaching course notes and I would not throw them away as its what I do now...

but its daft to keep the Engineering stuff I did as a previous career, isn't it ...?

I have already gone through them a few years back so there is no weeding out I could do to them.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Old college notes - what would you do? Empty Re: Old college notes - what would you do?

Post by mark barker 21st October 2010, 8:44 pm

Its a part of you, so if you've got the space keep it. When you're old and bored you'll be able to drag it back out and get all nostalgic about the good old days!
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Old college notes - what would you do? Empty Re: Old college notes - what would you do?

Post by Hathorite 21st October 2010, 8:48 pm

My ex is a huge hoarder and there's a lot of stuff here that isn't even mine - but his I'm storing, even now when things aren't so cool. Recently in a huge box of books (some of which are so old his father was reading them when he was a boy) we found a tonne of uni notes which turned out to be his mum's. She died a year before I met him round xmas time and even to this day Ex doesn't have a single photo of her anywhere, and never did. Just too painful.

I kept the notes for him and no matter how nasty things get I have reassured him I will NOT be destroying those. It's all he's got left of his mum, even though I know he hasn't got interest one in the subject matter (ironically the reason she took the course was to learn how to cope with him as a child!).

If you have the space, sure. If not, burn away and let it go.
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st October 2010, 9:03 pm

My vote was to compost - my feeling is that to some extent those notes are an external part of what you did: what is important is what that part of your life contributed to what you are as a person now.
I was brought up to keep everything, and now incline against that for myself, as I have seen the amount of stuff my parents carted around every time they moved. My mother keeps finding copies of my late father's PhD thesis in different places - I know that for him and her this was a huge achievement and that's why he had all these copies made, but to me that's what he did, not what he was.
Sorry - scrambled thoughts...hope it makes some sense.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st October 2010, 9:18 pm

I agree D, but I look at the hand written notes and just think of the effort involved...

but am aware am becoming a pack rat and where do I draw the line? I have done so many different things that, if I keep it all I will need another house...

And yes, I still know the stuff in the notes....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 21st October 2010, 9:44 pm

CW - I think the secret is NOT TO LOOK AT THEM!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st October 2010, 10:31 pm

But do what? keep, compost, bin?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 21st October 2010, 10:53 pm

If they are kept in the box in the loft isn't their insulating properties quite good... bigthink

They might turn out to be important when they are looking to build the "CW library & archive..." & name it after you... :bigsmile:
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 22nd October 2010, 12:07 am

I LIKE that idea , Spar...I could donate them to the national Archives on my demise.........

like the lovely people in the lovely Michael Wood Kedworth history prog...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 22nd October 2010, 8:32 am

I'm pretty sure there are still two sets of notes from my degree in the loft. I threw out almost all of it, but did well in the "Moderns" paper and wondered if I would ever do a Masters. I won't - or if I do, I won't need them, so I guess they should go - as long as I don't start reading them!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd October 2010, 10:34 am

My undergraduate notes are long gone. Though I went to so few lectures that there weren't many anyway Embarassed

You haven't looked at them for ages. They (if they are engineering) may be out of date. The lecturer probably only cribbed them from a textbook anyway.

You know that you don't need them. To the compost bin or recycling with them. Or I might suggest an extra option - light the stove with them.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 22nd October 2010, 10:37 am

I still have all my old notes, but being hort stuff it is useful reference material. Actually very useful, was able to brush up on cellular physiolohy recently and explain (confidently) how a new weedkiller works without chemicals.. (its iron based and hyperoxidises the cells).
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 22nd October 2010, 1:18 pm

does the answer lie in the bit about your current subjects where you say "I would not throw them away as it is what I do now"?

I talk as a hoarder, not a clutter clearer!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd October 2010, 2:27 pm

My degree was in ceramics, so a lot of the stuff I was carrying around every time we moved was boxes of pots (some embarrassingly bad, now I see them with hindsight!) So I have been selective, but could probably be even more selective. (In my case it's not a problem to know how to dispose of them as the tip has a skip for 'rubble'!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 22nd October 2010, 4:08 pm

I've got mine (somewhere). I intended at some point to rewrite them as a book... granted, it will probably never happen, but...
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum