A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Leftovers - what do you do with yours? Hca_button

Leftovers - what do you do with yours?

+6
Mike
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Wren
Akuma
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leftovers - what do you do with yours? Empty Leftovers - what do you do with yours?

Post by Akuma 17th November 2009, 7:35 pm

Inspired by Wren's 'pig head' thread, I thought I'd open a thread so we can all share our leftovers recipes/tips.

Wren did mention what she can do with a 4lb chook.... so hopefully we'll find out here!

So what do you do with your left overs?

Akuma x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Leftovers - what do you do with yours? Empty Re: Leftovers - what do you do with yours?

Post by Wren 17th November 2009, 7:55 pm

Ah the Chook! OK I'll share.

I roast the whole bird, and when it's cooked, I shred it! Yup, none of this carving nonsense, I let it cool enough to handle, and get me fingers in and rip the meat off that bird! Every last bit I can get off.

THEN I put aside enough for our meal that day, usually a Sunday, so loads of roasties and veg as well.

the rest get's divided into those OH so useful chinese meal containers, and I usually manage to get three of those with enough meat for both of us in each. cover with the gravy and freeze. Back to those in a bit.

the carcase gets boiled up with an onion and some root veg, whatever I happen to have, salt and pepper for around and hour and a half. THEN I strain it all, pickoff any more stray bits of meat, and chuck the carcase away.

Half of the ensuing stock is then bottled or frozen for later use. The other half gets the veg added back in and then is blitzed in a blender to make soup, I add the meat bits back in once that's done, and also add some Quinoa or cooked lentils to it. This can also be frozen or kept in the fridge and eaten within two days.

So the plastic containers. One will more than likely be used to make into a chicken pie, with some added root veg.

another will become chicken curry. I add Tandoori spice, cumin, ground coriander and a chilli powder, around a tsp of each to some diced onion that I sweat down in butter with some garlic, then add the chicken complete with the gravy I froze with it. Serve with rice of your choice.

More often than not, the other container will simply be another roast dinner, but can just as easily be turned into something very tasty indeed by the addition of some cream and a good glass of dry white wine, YUM!

One other thing, I DO buy organic birds, I won't buy the cheap birds full of growth hormone and badly kept. BUT, I never ever pay full price, I always buy one when there's one reduced at the super or if they are cheap at the farmers market, and I have NEVER yet paid more than £4.50 for one.

Not a bad few meals for the price eh? Very Happy
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Leftovers - what do you do with yours? Empty Re: Leftovers - what do you do with yours?

Post by Compostwoman 17th November 2009, 8:02 pm

mmm yum Wren !

We had a roast leg of pork on Sunday , with all the trimmings...roast spuds, parsnips, kale, carrots, brocoli, gravy

We ate roast pork sandwiches yesterday and today for lunch, Cg ate some last night for her evening meal, we used some left over gravyand the left over veg from Sunday to bulk out some home made veg soup yesterday and today, we all 3 ate a large portion each of sweet and sour pork tonight with noodles and various accompanyments..

A portion of sliced meat and gravy for a generous meal for 3 is in the freezer, some is left for tomorrow in the fridge, and the pork fat is in the fridge..

Usually a Sunday roast will do us 2 or 3 more main meals for 3 plus sandwiches or meat in an omlette or suchlike...for 2 lunchtimes

and if the joint had a bone I pressure cook it to make stock, usually 3 or 4 marge tubs worth, which I freeze to use in soup making later on.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 17th November 2009, 8:27 pm

Well you have both come up with what I do. I also do what we call Monday lamb. When I get a big enough lamb joint we have a roast, then I slice off enough for another meal. The rest gets used for pies, shepards pie or curry but the slices get laid in a dish & covered with a rich brown sauce & heated through served with real creamy mash & veg, not good for the cholesterol etc, but delish. Very Happy
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th November 2009, 8:34 pm

Wren wrote:
the rest get's divided into those OH so useful chinese meal containers, and I usually manage to get three of those with enough meat for both of us in each. cover with the gravy and freeze. Back to those in a bit.

You should be very careful about reusing those. Most, if not all are designed to be single use and not designed for freezer or microwave. This can result in chemicals leaching from the plastic into the food. Definitely do not re-use them more than once and definitely do not microwave them if you have frozen them. Better by far to invest in a set of proper freezable, nukeable kwik-lok containers - they often have them on very cheap offers in Aldi, Lidl, Lakeland etc.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 17th November 2009, 9:23 pm

You don't have to "nuke" in the same container in which you froze. Back when I was first living on my own it was pre microwave days so cooking in the came (plastic) container in which frozen out of the question. But if you think of that container the way you would an ice cube tray it's easy. Loosen the lid and immerse in a pan of warm water (not as high as the top) or run wate ron the outside. That won't thaw the mass but will unstick from the sides so can pop out into a pan (or nowadays, glass microwaving bowl).

I used to cook (primary cook) main meals just a couple days a week making large batches most of which got frozen. Would then have a variety of stews in the freezer. Let's see, tonight some New England style fish chowder. Or maybe some of that lamb and red lentil stew.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th November 2009, 9:59 pm

Also when cooling meat to stick in the fridge, did you know there is a 90 min rule?

get it cooled down and in the fridge at 5 C within 90 mins...

Food Hygiene course, L2. taken last month...full of interesting info....

Made me have a hard look at some of the things we do here, I must admit...but on balance was ok!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 17th November 2009, 10:07 pm

I do the same as all of you too! As my mam did too, one of my favourite 'home' memories is roast on a sunday followed by cold meat, chips & coleslaw on a monday and curry on a tuesday....all of them were DELISH! IIRC Wednesday was pasta night and friday was fish..... I only missing Thurs & Sat....I'll have to ask mum Laughing

A x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th November 2009, 10:12 pm

We used to have cauli cheese or mac cheese on a thursday..or rissoles if the meat had lasted that long :silent:

and fish on fri, as Mum came from an Irish catholic background...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th November 2009, 10:28 pm

Another good frugal tip re making stock is, rather than making it with a single carcass every time you have a chicken, to break the carcass up and stick it in the freezer (it will take up very little space this way) until you have amassed half a dozen or more and then make a large volume of stock in one go.

Not only do you use significantly less energy by doing it this way, you need fewer root veg, herbs etc and end up with a much richer stock.
If you have had more than one kind of fowl in this time, the mixture of chicken, pheasant, partridge, even duck, carcasses will result in a much more complex and tasty stock.

Personally, I also keep the rind and rib bones from my cooking bacon and toss that in the stockpot as well. It adds a wonderful silkiness to the whole thing and a hint of smoked flavour, which makes a truly delicious base for soups and risottos.

You can, of course reduce the stock down as much as you want and reconstitute it later if freezer space is at a premium, or bottle it in a pressure canner. Or even reduce it right down to a paste-like consistency, then spread this on sheets in the dehydrator and dry it out and crumble it for home-made stock powder.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 29th November 2009, 11:01 am

Left over potatos, carrots etc mashed together. Odd spoonfuls of leftovers thrown in freezer, then put into soup.
Odd bits of cheese blitzed & frozen use for baked potatos toppings etc.
Bread crumbs either dried in the oven as coating or put in freezer for stuffing.
Odd bits of veg good for omlettes.

What makes you think I am a tight b*gger
chef2 :bigsmile:
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 29th November 2009, 11:31 am

polgara wrote:
What makes you think I am a tight b*gger

Shocked actually I'd rather not think about that at all.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 29th November 2009, 4:33 pm

Thank you Billy lol!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 20th February 2010, 2:59 pm

Left over veggies, just chop fry & top with an egg.
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka 20th February 2010, 4:11 pm

Most leftover (meat, vegetables, olives, cheese, ham) can be put into a savoury cake. The cake base would be, roughly

150g flour (SR probably, if not, add baking powder)
3 eggs
10cl milk
10cl oil

Sorry that is not the real recipe, as it depends so much on what you have to put in it - good to add spices and herbs too, being as creative as you want. Put in a bread tin, and bake about half an hour or more, Gas 6

I have made courgette cake with goat cheese, dried tomato with goat cheese, tuna with whatever, it always seems to turn out OK.
Here is a link for the pictures (sorry it is in French!) but loads of recipes, which are really all the same.
http://www.linternaute.com/femmes/cuisine/recette-cake-sale/
Snoopka
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 20th February 2010, 5:05 pm

Or just make a pie with a savoury sauce.
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20th February 2010, 5:10 pm

I try to not have any 'leftovers'
Surpluses are a slightly different matter though.
What I usually do is wait until I have acquired a reasonable quantity of excess bits and bobs - and then build them into another motorcycle !

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 20th February 2010, 11:39 pm

We are talking FOOD Gus, pay attention. mmmm
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 21st February 2010, 9:23 am

Most of Gus's motorcycles are complete lemons, Pol, so it's not entirely OT.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 21st February 2010, 3:15 pm

Maybe, but do they look & smell like lemons lol!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 21st February 2010, 3:39 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Most of Gus's motorcycles are complete lemons, Pol, so it's not entirely OT.

Not true - My Moto Guzzi is a V1000 G5 - not a Le Mans at all !

Today I am making Pizza - because I have spare bread dough, a couple of leftover mushrooms, ditto cherry tomatoes, a slice of ham, a small quantity of cubed smoked bacon, one small onion, a little bit of Red Leicester and a lump of Mozarella

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st February 2010, 3:42 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Most of Gus's motorcycles are complete lemons, Pol, so it's not entirely OT.

Ha ha ha Leftovers - what do you do with yours? Icon_lol
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 21st February 2010, 5:37 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:

Today I am making Pizza - because I have spare bread dough, a couple of leftover mushrooms, ditto cherry tomatoes, a slice of ham, a small quantity of cubed smoked bacon, one small onion, a little bit of Red Leicester and a lump of Mozarella

I'd love to know how he turns that into a motorcycle... bigthink
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 21st February 2010, 5:50 pm

I am intrigued as to how cherry tomatoes are leftovers.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 21st February 2010, 6:23 pm

..boiught for some pother purpose?

gus's pizza sounds yummy
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next