A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters... Hca_button

Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters...

+10
Hairyloon
Becci
boobiejuicemama
polgara
danksshady
MrsC
Adrian
Compostwoman
mark barker
Sparhawk
14 posters

Go down

Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters... Empty Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters...

Post by Sparhawk 4th January 2011, 1:39 am

We all know that Homemade Lifers are a crafty bunch, thought it might be an idea to make a listy thing of the different handicrafts people get up to...

One post per person please (remember you can always edit it in the future) & tell us all what your crafty interests are...

It may be helpful if you could put what level you consider yourself at:

1. Thinking About - Think it may be interesting, & considering starting.
2. Learning - Got the stuff, beginning to learn how to do it.
3. Accomplished - Know how to do it & happy with what you do.
4. Expert - Other people love what you do & want to know how you do it.
5. Master Crafter - No explanation needed, & willing to explain & help mere mortals.
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters... Empty Re: Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters...

Post by mark barker 4th January 2011, 12:35 pm

Ooo... Sounds like a good idea... I'll start (with a very short list!)

I'm into metal stuff, normally pretty big items. Love welding (either gas or electric) and have been known to do some cold casting of base metals. In more recent times I've dabbled in jewelry making using silver, but this really tests my patience! If I had to rate my expertise in all things metal I guess I'd have to go with somewhere approaching the expert area, and if I don't know the answer I'll probably know someone that does!

Erm... Thats about it, I can dig stuff in the garden, and sometimes things grow, but thats more luck than judgement!
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters... Empty Re: Homemade Life Register Of Crafty Crafters...

Post by Compostwoman 4th January 2011, 12:56 pm

I am an expert in the following (well, I teach others how to do it..., anyway!)

Papermaking and paper crafting, lots of other papercrafty stuff (books, cards, envelopes, boxes )
Various making things from recycled/natural materials from seasonal wreaths to bird feeders
Making lotions and balms etc
Melt and pour soaps with added extras.

Composting
Growing organic veg and organic gardening generally
Chicken keeping
Den building, campfire cooking, wildlife and plant ID , woodcraft, knots, tracking, games etc

General sustainability stuff (greening up your life sort of things)

And am adding to the list as I go.

I am accomplished/expert at making

Various alcoholic drinks ( cider, fruit wines, infused fruit spirits, with the odd mishap)
Yoghurt, butter and soft chese making -hard cheese soon!
Chutney, Jam
Some cookery (not terrific at patisserie!)
Some needlecrafts (embroidery, hand sewing, felting)

I have a go, with varying degrees of success at needle felting, knitting, weaving, rag rugs, tapestry, soap making, basket making, and lots of other stuff.

I also carve wood, weld metal and make scrap /junk models rom all sorts of stuff.

I do lots of other stuff, on a learning but on the way to being accomplished sort of level.

I can't get the hang of a potters wheel, though!

Last edited by Compostwoman on 4th January 2011, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 4th January 2011, 2:50 pm

I am, alas, something of a dilettante in most of the things that I do, never really achieving much more skill than needed to complete a task.

I suppose that over time I have achieved a decent skill with a crochet hook, though nothing special.

I am officially classed by my trade as a Journeyman Horticulturist which allows me to employ apprentice level staff at set rates. Trying to run a smallholding means that I prefer to think of myself as an eternal learner in all things - a jack of all trades, master of none.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 4th January 2011, 3:52 pm

Hmmm - well I'd say that I was an accomplished knitter and possibly an expert at cross-stitch. Machine sewing, crochet and other embroidery I'm very much learning. Veg growing I'm also learning having produced the first batch in our garden last year.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by danksshady 4th January 2011, 5:12 pm

I'm quite an accomplished knitter(except socks!!),
Also acomplished in the following - cross stitch, embroidery, sewing,Clothes mending, baking/cooking
I dabble in indian beading, veg gardening, jam making/preserving
I know theres more just can't think right now
danksshady
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 4th January 2011, 5:45 pm

I knit, but just small plain things.
I can sew, but no longer make clothes
I can crochet squares
I make cards, but I am not as good at it as I would like to be
I play with beads
I make things for Dolls Houses
I am teaching myself to paint & draw
I love gardening
I am a good cook
I can Make do & Mend & recycle
I will add as a PS that I am a lousy housewife!!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by boobiejuicemama 20th January 2011, 5:00 am

I think Badger should add spoon carving to his list, I would buy them!

However I am a bit like Badger, I do something and if I am satisfied don't try to perfect it, just off to the next task!

Cooking - I am pretty good at curries, mostly Indian as I dated a Pakistani a few years back and that was all he ate, so I became very familiar with them. I make pretty good sourdough bread too!
chef2

Knitting - I am a beginner at crochet and knitting, but love it and will aim to get better
knit

I will add some more when I can sit down without a baby yelling at me!
boobiejuicemama
boobiejuicemama

Back to top Go down

Post by Becci 20th January 2011, 5:36 am

Cross stitch and various embroidery like candle wicking - Learning to Accomplished. Have done a bit and know what I am doing but would not put myself any higher than this.
Crochet - probably expert. I love to do it, people buy my stuff and return to buy more, not quite a master as there is still stuff I haven't tried
Scrapbooking - Accomplished. Been scrapping for 2.5 years and love what I do. As always striving higher and to learn more. I have won quite a few prizes so I must be ok
Card making - not as accomplished as scrapbooking, but getting there
Baking - I love baking and am good at what I do. Haven't tried some things so maybe in the expert range? If Ihaven't tried it I often know about it or can get info pronto on it

1. Thinking About - Think it may be interesting, & considering starting.
2. Learning - Got the stuff, beginning to learn how to do it.
3. Accomplished - Know how to do it & happy with what you do.
4. Expert - Other people love what you do & want to know how you do it.
5. Master Crafter - No explanation needed, & willing to explain & help mere mortals.

Becci
Becci

http://limetreecreations.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 25th January 2011, 9:42 am

I've dabbled with several things: wood turning, various metalwork, even plastic.
I would not claim to be an expert, but quite often the results have impressed a few people. I don't think any of them are particularly good, but then I know exactly how difficult they weren't to do... Perhaps that is the secret of most crafts: keeping schtumm... :?

Remind me. I'll try to post some pictures sometime.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 25th January 2011, 9:59 am

I work as a gardener so I guess I'm farily expert at that stuff, but gawd it sounds so arrogant.. Laughing especially as I still have so much to learn.

I'm pretty good at winemaking and jamming

Not bad at wombling and taking someone's crap and making it into something unusual and useable.

I love cooking

I love learning, so I'm reaching journeyman there, I reckon, be it academic or musical.

I'm a beginner knitter but I've nearly finished my first jumper! Very Happy

I emborider, started that to give up smoking.

I love art and do my own piccies and frame them, don't care if they're crap they look kinda cool Embarassed

I love thing transferrence... Embarassed as in using a pallet for car rack, then a table, then a solar heater then a bike rack.. Laughing

I'm cheap Wink

I'll give anything a go really, I may be crap but then again, I may be bloody brilliant, love finding out.. and when crap going "OLllllllll...... can you finish this please?" and wandering off... Cool
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th January 2011, 7:49 pm

I tend to go through phases - for the last few years I've done little but garden. I also knit and make cards. Things I haven't done for a while (but have previously done to an acceptable level) are: silk painting, sewing (I made my wedding dress), crochet, vegetable dyeing and cross stitch. I have woven (but not for a while), made candles, and done printmaking. I was trained in ceramics (handbuilt and thrown) - I haven't had the opportunity to do this for a good few years - I'm hoping that when I do it'll be one of those things you don't forget, like riding a bike. Oh, and I like to draw small landscapes in coloured pencils.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th January 2011, 8:46 pm

Dandelion could you show me how to master a potters wheel..I am rubbish at it and am determined to DO BETTER...!

Coiled pots, thumb pots not an issue...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th January 2011, 9:37 pm

As soon as I find a decent electric wheel (no good at kick wheels I'm afraid) and remind myself!! It's mainly a case of getting the feel for it and practicing, and the knack does eventually come(back) (I hope!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Asiza 27th December 2014, 1:54 am

Well, since I've just introduced myself, and began reading this thread to get to know all of you, I think I might put my list up too.

There is only one thing that I am an expert/master at and that's knowing how to find the information I need, or who to ask for assistance and advice. I dabble in so many things that I too am a "jack of all trades".

In the realm of being accomplished, I say the following fits: baking, cooking, nutritional knowledge, psychology & human behavior (though not a craft), storytelling & writing, and my 15 year old son just added that I am accomplished at being a mother (cute little kiss butt  Wink)

The rest of my interests vary in skill and knowledge, though I have fun with it at any rate. My ventures at the moment are soaps, salves, and herbal medicines/homeopathy. Here soon, I will be gearing up for the spring garden too.
Asiza
Asiza

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th December 2014, 11:37 am

As I'm allergic to a lot of cosmetics I've been intending to have a go at soap using some of my beeswax (I keep bees). I've done skin cream very successfully. I also want to try something with propolis as it is supposed to have good healing properties. I only dabble a bit for myself as there are very stringent licencing requirements in the UK if you want to sell anything of that nature.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th December 2014, 2:46 pm

What's propolis, Ploshkin?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th December 2014, 7:14 pm

Propolis is collected by bees and it is resin from some trees and sticky buds. They use it to glue things together and seal gaps. They combine it with enzymes and it has antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Asiza 27th December 2014, 8:48 pm

Ploshkin, my kids have really sensitive skin too. The best soap for them is Castile soap; but you can take a recipe for this and add anything you like, when it's nearly done.
Asiza
Asiza

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th December 2014, 6:16 pm

Ploshkin wrote:Propolis is collected by bees and it is resin from some trees and sticky buds.  They use it to glue things together and seal gaps.  They combine it with enzymes and it has antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
Bees are so amazing!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down