A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Reform of Special Educational Needs. Hca_button

Reform of Special Educational Needs.

4 posters

Go down

Reform of Special Educational Needs. Empty Reform of Special Educational Needs.

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 11:17 am

I have been asked to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] against the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
The petition appears to me to be a knee-jerk response to the changes, and the people who have asked me to sign it have taken mighty offence at my asking questions about it so I thought I would put it to some more rational people.

An Online Petition wrote:If these proposals are passed, these will be the first changes to the law in relation to children and young persons with disabilities and special educational needs, which reduces both their and their parent’s rights. This proposed legislation is anti parent, and turns the clock back over 30 years.

Our concerns:
No right for parents or schools to request the equivalent of a Statutory Assessment (if children have been missed or the complexity of their needs have not been recognised, there is nothing parents or schools can do about it).

Dilution of the duty to specify the special education provision. Current requirement to “specify” special educational provision in a statement is watered down to a lesser duty to “set out” provision in a EHC plan.

Mandatory Mediation – with anti parent penalties
· A parent has no choice and is forced to do this.
· It is not independent (the LA appoints the mediator).
· It includes penalties against parents, but not Local Authorities.
· The system of mandatory mediation is highly complex, provides a system similar to an SEND Tribunal Appeal, and will delay and obstruct parents who are attempting to get a quick and easy decision about their children.
I am not inclined to believe that any legislation says what somebody tells me it says unless they are somebody I know to be reliable, and in any case, I think the way to get a draft revised is to properly debate the flaws in it.

Anybody here know about it?
Or alternatively we could discuss the pointlessness or otherwise of online petitions.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Reform of Special Educational Needs. Empty Re: Reform of Special Educational Needs.

Post by Adrian 3rd November 2012, 11:28 am

I tend to avoid the online petitions. To be brutally honest I think they are just a tool to make the ruled feel like they have a say, but have little to no effect.

I can't comment on special needs provision in the UK, I'm long since out of that loop, but I can in Canada. Both my boys are classified as having high needs, and I expected a mighty scrap getting them a decent education - many many meetings later, I have become the parent the schools dread, but my boys are getting their educational needs met.

I guess what I am saying is I believe that it depends on each childs needs and and IPP needs to be drafted to tailor the education to meet the kids not just through blanket enforcement of rules..
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Reform of Special Educational Needs. Empty Re: Reform of Special Educational Needs.

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 11:43 am

Adrian wrote:I tend to avoid the online petitions. To be brutally honest I think they are just a tool to make the ruled feel like they have a say, but have little to no effect.
That was part of my point. And that particular petition does not even say what its aiming to achieve.
It amounts to: "change is bad... M'kay."
I've heard of nothing but trouble regarding the current regulations, but I've been banned from the forum for asking what is actually wrong with the proposals. :?
Strange people.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 3rd November 2012, 11:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My mantra (if had had such a thing)
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 11:47 am

Ooh, you are a bit canny sometimes.
It was actually something not unlike that which got me the ban.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 3rd November 2012, 11:51 am

well, not going to happen here - only two people ever got banned here - one was a short one to stop someone saying things she would regret (huge mistake on my part) the other was because a guy was posting sexualised material - this is a family show...

I don't like banning or removing posts, tbere is too much authoritarianism and censorship on other fora, not happening here
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 2:10 pm

Adrian wrote:one was a short one to stop someone saying things she would regret (huge mistake on my part)
Did you try apologising?
I don't like banning or removing posts, tbere is too much authoritarianism and censorship on other fora, not happening here

I thought that the thing to do if a post may want removing is to remove it and send a copy back to the poster so they can perhaps rephrase something.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 3rd November 2012, 2:17 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
Adrian wrote:one was a short one to stop someone saying things she would regret (huge mistake on my part)
Did you try apologising?

Repeatedly - but that wasn't good enough, and to be honest, my life is just too short to appease an angry person
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 3:11 pm

Fair enough. Was just asking.

Meanwhile, back on topic... Wink
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd November 2012, 3:17 pm

Going back to the subject of the petition, I can see the subject from several different angles. My other half works with autistic children in a LA school - some are fairly severely autistic (little speech, poor social integration, lots of rituals etc - I know the childen too as I sometimes work in the unit if there's a staff shortage.) There have been problems with one or two children who are probably not autistic but have severe behavioural problems which are complex, and in part are probably linked to problems with parenting. There have been instances of the parents of these children having a lot of power, and demanding specific advantages for their children which are not available to the other children. The legislation mentioned would make it harder for these parents to monopolise services for their child.* On the other hand, I presume that the legislation is mainly proposed to save money (!) so probably no-one will be a winner. We haven't heard much about it here to be honest.
*I'm all in favour of parents fighting for their children - we had to do it for our son, and it's what parents have to do. I'm really talking about people who have unreasonable and unfair expectations. Obviously I can't be more specific...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 7:32 pm

Dandelion wrote:The legislation mentioned would make it harder for these parents to monopolise services for their child...
Are you basing that statement on what you have read in the legislation, or do you have another source?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd November 2012, 8:01 pm

Just deducing from what you said in the original post about parental entitlement...could be completely wrong but that's what it sounded like to me.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 3rd November 2012, 9:04 pm

Dandelion wrote:Just deducing from what you said in the original post about parental entitlement...
I didn't think I'd said anything much in the initial post.
I assume you mean what I quoted from the petition.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th November 2012, 9:40 am

Hairyloon wrote:
I am not inclined to believe that any legislation says what somebody tells me it says
Very wise. But, forgive my impertinence, it sounds from your posts as if you haven’t actually read the proposed legislation for yourself. The new draft, to which you provided a link, is 60 pages long (less than your average boiler manual). Like any legislation, it is almost certainly open to interpretation, and your interpretation is as valid as anyone else’s. I would have thought that doing so would give you enough understanding of whether the petition contains worthwhile arguments, although you would need a good working knowledge of the current legislation too.

If your interest (in all senses of the word) in the matter is not sufficient for you to become familiar with the legislation, I’m not sure why you feel it is necessary to take it further (ie questioning the petition).

I don’t feel inclined to comment on the current legislation, the draft legislation or the petition – too many boiler manuals to read!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 4th November 2012, 10:51 am

freebird wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:I am not inclined to believe that any legislation says what somebody tells me it says
Very wise. But, forgive my impertinence, it sounds from your posts as if you haven’t actually read the proposed legislation for yourself.
I have skimmed it, and not found the bits to which the petition refers.
The new draft, to which you provided a link, is 60 pages long (less than your average boiler manual).

Not sure what your point is there, I don't read manuals either... except when I'm really stuck.
Like any legislation, it is almost certainly open to interpretation...
Only if it is badly written.
The whole point of legislation is that says what it means and it nails down the law as precisely as it can do.
and your interpretation is as valid as anyone else’s.
No, at the end of the day, the only interpretation that matters is that of the judge.
I would have thought that doing so would give you enough understanding of whether the petition contains worthwhile arguments, although you would need a good working knowledge of the current legislation too.
This is part of my point.
If somebody asks me to join their cause, then I want to know if it is a good cause.
The answer in this case (although never explicitly stated) was "I've got a mutant baby, of course it is a good cause", which does not hold any water as an argument.
I have heard nothing good about the current regulation and I have heard a lot of complaints, so I asked what was the problem with revising them and was told to go and research it myself.
I think that is plain bad manners.
If your interest (in all senses of the word) in the matter is not sufficient for you to become familiar with the legislation, I’m not sure why you feel it is necessary to take it further (ie questioning the petition).
Because it appears to be important, and they are going at it arse about tit.

Online petitions are a pretty pointless at the best of times and this one is particularly poor. Frankly, if I was the Minister for eating babies, I might well start up one like that to distract those who might otherwise hinder my devious plots.
No matter how many signatures it gets, that petition will go straight in the bin, yet all the people who have signed it are happy that they have done something constructive.
In the alternative, and the petition does have an effect, then that effect will be to delay any good changes that the draft seeks to make.

The way to get draft legislation amended is to properly argue it out and put those arguments to the relevant people.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down