A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Usefull garden? Hca_button

Usefull garden?

5 posters

Go down

Usefull garden? Empty Usefull garden?

Post by TamaraNicole 3rd August 2014, 11:03 am

Our outdoors has significantly got better this year!

We have terraced a bit of our hill and installed the vegetable garden.
We have had a parking spot made out of a part of land we weren't using.
We are busy preparing the spot for fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & apple trees Will be installed soon.

I have Made a big decision regarding all of this. I want everything in my garden to be usefull! Have you ever heard/seen such a garden? I was inspired by a newspaper article.

Fruit & veggies to eat, herbs to cook, etc... Anything planted i want usefull or at least non toxic.

I have a few more things to look into.

Surrounding the parking spot (it is going to be rocks cause grass is too difficult to cut there, given the geography) i want to burry a few planters and i am thinking arnica, calendula, chamomile & echinacea.

In the front of the house is only rocks so i am thinking creeping thyme.

In the containers on the terrace i think crabapples Will look beautiful.

What do you guys think about that? What is usefull in your gardens?

TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Usefull garden? Empty Re: Usefull garden?

Post by Dandelion 3rd August 2014, 5:12 pm

That all sounds fantastic Tamara - I'm looking forward to seeing photos when it's done. Have you come across the garden writer Bob Flowerdew? He likes to grow only plants which are useful, whether for food, drink or medicine.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd August 2014, 8:21 pm

Well, Tamara, I like to think all the things in my garden are useful but you might not agree. Any plants that attract wildlife, I think are useful. Any flowers that smell wonderful are useful to me - because they make me happy. I do know what you mean, though.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th August 2014, 11:03 am

I really like this idea Tamara.  But it is probably less limiting than one might imagine, if you try hard enough to find uses !  Many things have been used by man for something at some point.

In my garden - obviously the trees and larger shrubs, when they get too big or need pruning - provide wood for either making into things, or burning.  I've saved some apple wood this year for smoking Jalapeno chillies with, if I get enough. Or the smaller stuff is shredded for compost which is first used for tomatoes then as a soil conditioner.  There's the obvious edible crops - apples, quince, vines for grapes and vine leaves for Greek cookery.  Then there are loads of things that are ornamental and edible too ... Herbs are great for their flowers and loved by bees too.  Then there are artichokes, asparagus, bay, amaranth, sunflowers which all have architectural value and give an edible bonus.  Wigwams of beans and tall peas look very attractive to my eyes too !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th August 2014, 11:28 am

Go for it Tamara, I think it's good to think about what you are putting in the garden & why.  I've certainly thought about it far more since I have kept bees & no plant gets a look in if it does not attract pollinators.  The up side is that I now get hundreds of bumblebees, bee flies, butterflies & others as well as my own bees.  I've got a big area of grass - I suppose it's useful in that it saves me the work of doing anything with the area apart from cutting it but I leave a margin alongside the river for the frogs & toads which in turn eat slugs & keep them off my veggies.
 There's a shrub in the garden that looks just boring & it roots into the ground wherever the stems touch which is a pain - but, when it gets it's tiny, almost invisible flowers it smells heavenly & the bumblebees love it .... so it stays.  
We're surrounded by a lot of wild stuff & I  like to make use of what I can, there's something very satisfying about foraging for free - elderflowers & berries, rowan berries, sloes, crab apples & damsons, wild garlic, blackberries & hazelnuts if the squirrels leave any.  My honey comes mainly from sycamore, blackberry, clover & willowherb sometimes with some willow & hawthorn.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th August 2014, 11:39 am

I've tried to make everything functional in our garden - from necessity mainly, as we are both now in low-paid jobs, so food from the garden helps to balance the finances. But this year I'm beginning to think about having a few more patches of flowers to feed the soul as well as the stomach! As Ploshkin says, the flowers will attract pollinating insects, so they do have a use. Probably my favourite thing in the garden is Grapefruit mint, which has the most wonderful scent - I don't use it for anything except to go and rub the leaves and get an instant lift!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 4th August 2014, 3:02 pm

Thanks all for your comments!

I guess we all have a different "useful'! (Sorry for the mispelling, my autocorrect wrote usefull and i trusted it though i probably shouldn't, he's french...)

I guess my useful is based on the fact i don't really want anything toxic with my toddler running around. Plus i'm biaised by my being a pharmacist, i tend to know medicinal plants better.

Thanks for the name Dandelion, i Will look it up!
Freebird, i love the smell of flowers, love seeing butterflies all over my garden, but i don't care for the bees.. At all! So i tend to avoid to attract them. Though i know i do need them!
Chili-head, wow you've got great ideas and inspiration! I do not know how to make chairs like you do though!
Yes Ploshkin, i love going into the land and finding things i can do something with!

I Will try and keep you posted on our works!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 4th August 2014, 3:12 pm

Here are a few pics already!

Usefull garden? Image12

This is where we had a parking spot Made, and where we terraced the hill to make our veggies patch.

Usefull garden? Image13

And this is where the strawberries Will go. You can see a tiny bit of the raised beds the veggies are in. We are currently building a last one.

Usefull garden? Image14

And this is where the raspberries and blueberries are coming! The land is ours til you can see the plants growing that is our neighbours place.

Looking forward to send the after pictures!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th August 2014, 2:19 pm

What a beautiful house - and what amazing views!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th August 2014, 3:07 pm

It is a great spot. And I can see that you're doing cartwheels with joy  Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th August 2014, 12:46 pm

Wow, what a lovely location Tamara - what altitude are you?
We're surrounded by hills but the landscape is nowhere near as open as that. We're at about 650' but in a hollow which makes growing things quite challenging. Like you we get lots of rain but that is part of what makes the place so green & beautiful.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 7th August 2014, 10:22 am

We are about 750m Ploshkin.

It is a really lovely Space. The house is small but we love it! Fell in love and bought it! It is an eco building.

Haha Chili-Head! Actually they were building a house right behind ours. One day a truck was taking over most of the road Space and 2 workers were having fun driving on our property with their dumpers full of earth, back and forth, all day! Needless to say i went out shouting at them and we got our parking spot done at a decent price!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down