A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

A cautious start to spring - the garden in March - Page 2 Hca_button

A cautious start to spring - the garden in March

+3
TamaraNicole
FloBear
Chilli-head
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A cautious start to spring - the garden in March - Page 2 Empty Re: A cautious start to spring - the garden in March

Post by freebird 13th March 2015, 1:07 pm

I never did that either, gunners. But I was watching Beechgrove Garden last year (Scottish version of Gardeners' World) and the presenter said to leave just one or two of the strongest shoots. The potato will put all its energy into making those grow, instead of the energy being spread between several shoots.

I didn't grow potatoes last year or this, so haven't had a chance to try it. I think I would do half and half and compare at harvest time.

freebird

Back to top Go down

A cautious start to spring - the garden in March - Page 2 Empty Re: A cautious start to spring - the garden in March

Post by gunners71uk 13th March 2015, 3:29 pm

freebird wrote:

I didn't grow potatoes last year or this, so haven't had a chance to try it. I think I would do half and half and compare at harvest time.

sounds good idea
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th March 2015, 5:42 pm

I have heard some say that you should rub off all but three strong shoots, to channel the energy into them.   I never have done that; in the books I have to hand neither Geoff Hamilton nor John Seymour recommend it - and that's good enough for me !

In my day job, we have done quite a lot of work on killing potatoes, when they appear as unwanted "volunteers" in subsequent crops.   They are pretty robust things, because if you kill the growth from one eye - even with glyphosate - the other eyes will grow up in its place.  Sometimes this is useful if the early growth gets hit by frost.  I wonder if rubbing off spare shoots might not harm this useful property ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th March 2015, 12:20 pm

I've spent an hour or so cutting back 3 clematis that grow up the wall of my shed.  I should do it every year but it's really fiddly getting all the stems out of the wire netting so the job often doesn't get done.  They're all cut back to about 2' above the ground so will hopefully shoot up from there.

Can anyone recommend some good secateurs that have an easy action as I don't have a lot of strength in my hands especially when they're cold.  I manage to get through a couple of pairs every year because they just seem to fall apart.  I got some ratchet ones last year but they don't seem to work well on thin stuff, the ratchet often doesn't catch.  They're ok on thicker stems or branches of shrubs which I suppose is what they are designed for.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th March 2015, 12:33 pm

I have a pair of Gardena Classic bypass secateurs, bought with a birthday garden voucher a few years ago. I had never tried this brand before, but as they were bright turquoise, I thought that this would prevent them from getting lost in the garden. I have arthritis in my thumbs, so I don't have a lot of strength in my grip (and annoyingly have to ask others to unscrew lids) but I will definitely get another pair of these if they wear out, as they are sharp, comfortable - and easy to spot!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 15th March 2015, 6:33 pm

when are you lot putting your onion sets in please
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th March 2015, 7:07 pm

Last October for my onions ... I know that's not what you need to know, but I generally plant sets for overwintering because they are a bit more robust, and multi-sow seed in modules in spring, any time now.

I planted my early potatoes yesterday. I put these in the garden veg plot because its sandy soil produces nice clean spuds. The mains will go in the lotty clay, where they'll yield better, if less pretty.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 16th March 2015, 12:05 pm

You plant onions from seeds CH?
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th March 2015, 11:05 am

TamaraNicole wrote:You plant onions from seeds CH?

Ah - sorry, I nearly missed that. Yes, I do what Geoff Hamilton described as multi-sowing. It works especially well for onions like long red Florence, which are torpedo shaped. I put a pinch (about 6) seed in each 50mm module cell any time now, and let them all grow on and plant them out together as clumps about 25cm apart. The onions push each other aside as they grow to find space. Pretty easy method, but I find the onion seedlings are a bit fragile for the overwintered varieties and usually vanish ! So those I grow from sets.

Having said that- I'm not going to do any from seed this year, because the overwintered sets came in such big pack sizes that I don't really need more onions. I have been busy planting my potatoes though, which I put in on Monday. I plant all of them at the same time - earlies, second earlies and maincrop; it doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes they will be nipped by a late frost, but they always bounce back.

I also dug over some ground for a second planting of broad beans - I just need to find time to knock it down a bit and pop the seed in.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 18th March 2015, 12:56 pm

been down the lotty with my lovely wife we have put in 48 tubers of ulster sceptre in 1st earlies now back home for hot x bun cup tea
chili head the clump onion idea is good but some gardeners on lotty say it encourages onion fly ?
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th March 2015, 10:35 am

gunners71uk wrote:
chili head the clump onion idea is good but  some gardeners on lotty say it  encourages onion fly ?

I am lucky that onion fly is not a pest I've yet had problems with. I have sometimes had problems with rot of some sort though, and I have wondered if that might be made worse by planting in clumps, but I've never really been sure. Sometimes it is a problem on the ones grown from sets too. I can believe that spacing them out might improve airflow etc and be better for their health. But the growing in clumps produces a nice range of sizes for cooking.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th March 2015, 11:22 am

I've finally started growing something. I've put new strawberry plants into my 3 hanging baskets to grow in the greenhouse. I needed to replace the plants that had done 2 or 3 years & they refused to produce runners last year so I had to buy some plants. The ones I was replacing were runners from the previous set of plants so they had had a good innings. The new plants are Mara de Bois or something like that (everbearers). I need to do some serious seed sowing now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 20th March 2015, 10:21 am

Need to replant the snowdrops that I dug up last Autumn and which have been flowering their little socks off in troughs. All gone over now so must get them in. Maybe this afternoon?! Noticed Snakeshead Fritillaries in bud Smile
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 20th March 2015, 7:56 pm

gt day on allotment we sowed cos lettuce,erected pea frame, dug area for cabbages and limed,weeded iris, planted budlehia, other weeding, yesterday put 60 charlotte spuds in
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 23rd March 2015, 7:14 pm

forked over area for parsnip about 2oft by 12 ft lol, forked heb garden got stew dumplings for tea Smile
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 23rd March 2015, 10:09 pm

At last, I've got some seeds started - tomatoes, cucumbers, broad beans and peas.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th March 2015, 7:28 pm

What a tricky time of year this is, with seedlings in propagators in the greenhouse. Covers off, on, fiddling with vents, sometimes even needing to open the greenhouse door. I have the heater on a thermostat, and an automatic vent opener, but it is still a good job DW is home during the day. Even still some peppers got scorched the other day. They look to have mostly recovered though.

I need to find time for potting chillies on, sowing salad onions and broad beans, and probably a lot I've forgotten ... in fact Ploshkin has just reminded me I haven't done the greenhouse cucumbers yet !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th March 2015, 5:38 pm

Too much to do!! tornado
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th March 2015, 12:06 pm

Dandelion wrote:Too much to do!! tornado

I know quite what you mean. I really must do the chillies this weekend; the tomatoes are 6-8" tall in their 5" pots and will probably need to move on too within the week !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th March 2015, 4:08 pm

Equilibrium has been maintained - the first day of the Easter break, and I have pricked out cabbage, Rudbeckia and Heliotrope, and sieved soil ready to sow outdoor tomato seeds tomorrow. Have also shown Mr D how to sow tomato seeds, as he is going to grow miniature toms in hanging baskets at school in the Autism unit garden.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th March 2015, 8:43 pm

Welcome to summer ! Well, first day of British summer time at least.

I got out to a windswept garden today and sowed leeks and some radishes where later climbing beans will go. I have had good luck with the old fashioned seed bed approach to starting off leeks; I've put some cloches over them since it's still a bit chilly.

I retreated to the greenhouse and potted on my chillies. Also sowed the indoor cucumbers, celeriac, calabrese and sweet peas (my neighbour who waters mu plants whilst I'm on holiday really likes them).
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th March 2015, 10:52 pm

The man who is going to re-lay our patio arrived unexpectedly this morning (good job we were in...). He has prised up the old broken slabs, and will be able to re-use them which is good. The laying starts in earnest tomorrow, and it'll be great to have it finally done (after 12 years of uneven slabs, and weeds between them so high you fall over them!). The downside is that for at least 24 hours I can't get into the garden Crying or Very sad
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th March 2015, 3:04 pm

I have germination. Auntie Madges tom's from the seed swap have beaten Sungold, which are always first and some cosmos have popped up too.
I'm also pleased because I've noticed new growth in some pots that contained giant cowslip seedlings from saved seed but disappeared in the first frost - I thought I had killed them and was cross with myself.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th March 2015, 5:11 pm

In the Heritage Seed Library booklet, Auntie Madge's were highly recommended. One person reckoned that if you could only grow one variety, this would be the one. They do seem to be reliable!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 31st March 2015, 9:10 am

No seed sowing here at all. It feels really strange - can't remember a year when I haven't sown something. But I'm working on getting the visible, decorative part of the garden shipshape, and have turned my attention to the small pond which had become totally overgrown. The man cleared it in early winter, and last week I introduced some frogspawn, so planting in some new less invasive (I hope) plants now. Seen a couple of newts in there already.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 31st March 2015, 6:48 pm

I have made a start on seed-sowing but not done a lot.
Three fruit bushes arrived today from an end of season offer by Wiggly Wigglers to get rid of their bare-root stock.
I am now the proud possessor of two red gooseberries and one blackcurrant to keep my other blackcurrant and two blueberries company. Must get on and install some protection so fruit is not nabbed by passing beasties.

My ponds were refurbished last year too, freebird. I am pleased to see some marginals and the oxygenating Elodea getting going so my tadpoles will have somewhere to hide. My OH has also noticed newts in the big pond.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next