A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 5 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by FloBear 31st August 2018, 9:06 pm

Meant to say, those grapes look fab, C-H.

You're right about birds not being senstive to capsaicin. I thought that was the case but decided to check!

FloBear

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 2nd September 2018, 7:32 am

Interesting about birds / chillies. But, my dog loves a curry and formations how hot it is.
I'm not harvesting anything new in the polytunnel but still have a regular supply of carrots, mange tout, courgettes, tomatoes, pepper and strawberries. Beans are now coming from the garden and I've had a moderate harvest of lovely, unblemished Victoria plums and I've been picking a decent amount of crab apples for mint jelly and chilli jelly (had to buy chillies!)
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd September 2018, 12:06 pm

Interesting auto-correct thing there, Ploshkin - I've never had a curry and formations! Can't figure out what it was meant to be.
Nothing new since my last post, tomatoes still reddening - well, orangeing, to be more precise. Most go in the freezer. Will need to find quite a few tomato-based recipes for Autumn and winter.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 2nd September 2018, 9:30 pm

No idea where formations came from - I probably said .... no matter how hot it is.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd September 2018, 9:59 pm

Not much harvesting here - a few Marmande tomatoes left in the garden and more or less the last runner beans (but irritatingly all the beans I missed when we were away for a couple of short breaks which are now hard and lumpy and on the way to providing me with next years beans. Irritating because I didn't actually need that large number of bean seeds!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th September 2018, 9:10 pm

I picked my first butternut squash today, it had developed a crack with the rain following such a dry summer. It probably won't keep long, so I might cook it Indian style with dahl.

Some good carrots too, enough for a batch of soup. And of course courgettes. There are always courgettes.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st October 2018, 9:41 am

I picked the last small strawberries yesterday which, considering I thought the plants were a goner after the first flush of fruit, is pretty good. For the first time I'm getting some lively autumn raspberries. They have taken 3 or 4 years to establish but are going well now. I think they've benefited from being in my beehive plot (to stop Mr P pinching the fruit). They flower when there is little other forage for the bees so they've made a good job of pollination.
I brought back 6 good sized courgettes from the polytunnel yesterday - it would be interesting to know how many my one plant has produced. It must be in excess of 100. The sweet peppers are holding really well on the plants and I just pick a few at a time as and when I want to use them. They ripened so quickly I didn't get much opportunity to have green ones.
I've cut all the squashes now and left them to ripen - final tally is 5 smallish butternuts off 2 plants which is a bit lame and 10 big Uchiki Kuri off one plant.
Also using cabbages and Kale from the garden now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th October 2018, 6:26 pm

I forgot, last week I had the last of the 6 apples off my tree. That makes a total crop of 10 I think in the 11 years I've had it. The skins had some black spots and needed a bit of trimming but the fruit truly lived up to its name which is Scrumptious.

When there is a man here with a machine I'm going to ask them to dig it up and I'm going to put it in the polytunnel plot. I've got nothing to lose and it could end up better off.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th October 2018, 9:13 pm

Apples were poor for me this year, but happily my woodworking friend Jim gave me a bag full. I do however have a load of quinces - suggestions ? ATM my garage smells fabulously fruity Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th October 2018, 9:47 pm

I've just been into the kitchen to consult my new (second hand!) Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall book on fruit, and I can oiffer you recipes for herby roast quince (to eat with roast meat) and poached quince. I know there is also quince jelly - I think this is the reason I don't actually like quince, as when I was young my mother made quince jam from the fruit on a neighbour's tree and tried to make us eat it. I think there's still a bit of the stubborn child left in me!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th October 2018, 10:05 pm

In this part of the world people have had bumper Apple crops this year which is odd because when the trees were in blossom it was just blowing off in the high winds. My 6 apples was a bumper crop for that tree and I had loads of crab apples when the usual crop is about 12. I'm not in a good spot for apple growing.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th October 2018, 11:26 am

I have three dwarf(ish) apple trees, two of which have had a bumper harvest which I was amazed at because we have had so little rain. The apples are smallish but there are lots of them. The Spartan hasn't had any fruit at all, but it did have a large crop last year, so I think it's having a rest.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th October 2018, 7:34 pm

Dug my last potatoes yesterday. Went with our roast pork, along with roasted root vegetables - homegrown carrot and beetroot.

Weeding the vegetable plot revealed I still have some rocket to hsrvest for a salad with the renaining Cerise cherry tomates (which are still very nice).
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 20th October 2018, 8:28 pm

I had a bonus melon today. My melons were over and done with a couple of months back but I hadn't cleared the plants. About 3 weeks ago I noticed another one about the size of a grapefruit. I didn't think it would ripen but it had come away from the stem today and I found that it was ripe and delicious (with some autumn raspberries).
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th October 2018, 9:33 pm

Ploshkin wrote:I had a bonus melon today.  
I've never played on a slot machine, but a bonus melon sounds as if you might get a payout from it!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 29th October 2018, 5:03 pm

I brought in the remainder of my sweet peppers from the polytunnel today. I had left them on the plants and was harvesting when I wanted them but found yesterday that some creature(s) had chewed off and decimated at least half a dozen great big ones. I was not amused. I suspect rats and now have several traps and bait boxes in the tunnel.

Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th November 2018, 1:57 pm

A couple of tomatoes and large chillies - Mulato still has a good amount of fruit on it. Also harvested radish seed. The radishes never grew to be edible, as they bolted in the hot weather, and I didn't get around to pulling them up.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th November 2018, 4:37 pm

My lunchtime sandwich last Thursday contained the last tomatoes from the greenhouse - I'm not sure I've managed to make tomatoes last until November before!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 11th November 2018, 6:13 pm

I've just used my last tomatoes to make some soup today. I did rescue them from the tunnel a couple of weeks ago when we had the heavy frost.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th November 2018, 6:52 pm

It won't be that long before we're sowing next year's tomatoes!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 15th November 2018, 7:53 am

Picked my first winter salad leaves of the season yesterday. They so nearly didn't get planted out from their seed trays, but now I'm glad I did.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th November 2018, 9:36 pm

It has my first Brussels sprouts today and they were excellent. I think I bought some plants because I hadn't got round to putting any seed in. The plants went out just before our 9 weeks of no rain and I only recall watering them once because they looked a bit wilted. The sprouts are some of the largest and tastiest I have ever had.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th November 2018, 7:55 pm

Only leeks left in the ground now, they have been found by allium leaf miner, though not so badly that they are all spoiled. I will have to peg down the environmesh more carefully next year.

Lots of chillies left in the greenhouse though Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th November 2018, 9:36 pm

I've still got a few raspberries, but not enough to harvest (I eat the odd one when I'm out in the garden, and throw them for the hens who love them!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 20th November 2018, 11:35 am

Snap, Dandelion, on the raspberry situation for both me and hens.

I still have a few chillies left on the plants and one pepper that is resolutely green.

Oh yes, and a few leeks.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd December 2018, 7:06 pm

More leeks today. We're using our last celeriac today too. Yesterday I picked peppers and chillies, I have some chillies drying, and some need chopping and freezing for when a quick chilli hit needs adding to a dish. Also got a few Mexican types, Ancho and Serrano, which I need to think of a recipe to combine with my squash abundance !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next