A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Overheated in the August garden Hca_button

Overheated in the August garden

3 posters

Go down

Overheated in the August garden Empty Overheated in the August garden

Post by Chilli-head 25th August 2019, 9:43 pm

Gosh.  No August garden thread and it is 3/4 over !  Should have started one before I went away.

My allotment is parched. The squashes look well unhappy, and the water butt is empty.  The carrots are small and strangely tough.  What looked like being a great year for apples is being ruined by wasps, presumably drawn to the moist fruit flesh.  But the pears don't seem to be interesting to them ?

Chillies are liking it in the greenhouse.  Lots of ohnivec and prarie fire.  Still picking padron peppers which I barbecued tonight, and washed down with Domaine Chilli-head (grape) wine.  It could be more intense,  but is still quite drinkable, and comes to us with about 100 food yards !

Last edited by Chilli-head on 5th September 2019, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Overheated in the August garden Empty Re: Overheated in the August garden

Post by Dandelion 26th August 2019, 4:04 pm

summer
(Although actually here it's too hot to sit outside!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 31st August 2019, 5:56 pm

Last day of August - decided to have a go at sowing some winter salads. I've no cold frames now, and nowhere in the garden to plant them yet, but the greenhouse has some sad looking bare earth (tbh, it looks more like dirt you would sweep off the floor). So long as I get germination, and I've started everything off in seed trays, I will get a couple of growbags and empty the contents over the soil and plant into that. With a couple of years experience of winter salads now, at least I've some idea of what to expect.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st August 2019, 9:54 pm

At least you have space in the greenhouse - I can hardly get in mine for the jungle of chillies ! Lots of prarie fire and Ohnivec.

I managed to make friends with the lady at an interesting deli recently, and she gave me an assortment of dried chillies for the seed; so I will be trying Aji Mirasol from Peru, as well as Mexican cascabel and guajillo next year.

I have been less than successful with winter salads, I have to admit. Either they don't even germinate, or don't take off properly and sit and sulk. Or rot at the base. Or attract hoards of aphids ! As I say, my greenhouse is full, but I have space outside and cloches ... I do still have some land cress you sent me FB - would that work ? It didn't germinate last time, I have to admit. I also have watercress and pak choi - any chance of success if sown soon ?

Up with my Dad today. He has dug almost his whole garden ! Great effort for 82. I was going to help him, but there's not much left to do.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st September 2019, 9:40 am

Chilli-head wrote:At least you have space in the greenhouse

Ha ha, only just! I have no storage for my gardening tools, so it doubles as a shed, as well as having a load of stuff used by its last owner that wasn't cleared when we bought the house (two broken kettles included?!). At least your chillies are productive.

Sorry to hear the land cress didn't germinate. Certainly not had any problem with mine, although I've chosen not to grow it this year, as I've less than half the space I had before. Last year I sowed in seed trays and germinated outside but with cover for warmth and slug/snail protection, then when large enough, planted straight out into the ground within the (open) cold frames.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st September 2019, 9:55 pm

I'm sure it is my lack of experience with them, I have seed left so I can try again. It is so dry here, it is easy to let germinating seed dry out at a critical stage.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd September 2019, 9:42 pm

I'm still picking the occasional tomato from the greenhouse, but I seem to have had a lot of foliage and not so much fruit. Which is a shame, as this year I splashed out on buying the proper fertilizer for the Easy2grow self-watering system I use. I should have compared the NPK ratio to the other (cheaper) tomato feed I use on plants in the garden before I got rid of the bottle. I'm wondering if there was less potassium in the 'proper' fertilizer than in something like Tomorite. The expensive stuff is very soluble, so you don't get any build up of sediment which might block the tubes, but I'm wondering if it really aimed at people who want to grow Other Plants in their Easy2grow system (you know, those illegal plants...!!!). I realised soon after I started using the Easy2grow that it is a completely different type of gardening, and accidentally wandered into some 'interesting' sites when finding out what spares I could buy!!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd September 2019, 10:01 pm

Similar to growlights. Useful for attic gardening Wink

My tomatoes have a lot of leaf. My dad's - which I grew from seed for him but have been growing a bit over 100 miles north, look quite autumnal with relatively little leaf left.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd September 2019, 9:34 pm

Chilli-head wrote:

My tomatoes have a lot of leaf.  My dad's - which I grew from seed for him but have been growing a bit over 100 miles north, look quite autumnal with relatively little leaf left.

That's interesting, so maybe seasonal temperatures in different areas. I have to say that the one tomato plant I stuck in the garden, because there was no room left in the greenhouse, has behaved itself beautifully - the normal amount of greenery and a better proportion of fruit
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down