A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Rising prices Hca_button

Rising prices

3 posters

Go down

Rising prices Empty Rising prices

Post by Chilli-head 3rd February 2022, 12:02 pm

Well, it is the talk of the moment. Prices for energy, food, well, everything.

I have argued that energy is too cheap for quite a while. If you consider 1kWh of electricity as worth 10 hours to sustained manual work, it is obviously not by any means expensive. So maybe this had to happen sooner or later. Is this the beginning of the realisation that we can''t treat natural resources as free and inexhaustible ? Or is it just someone up the chain profiteering ?

I have this suspicion, first sparked by petrol prices but now energy in general, that the relatively few companies that control supplies control prices to their advantage, Not so much illegal price fixing, but that when the suppliers are few and greedy, the normal process of competition keeping down prices goes into reverse; instead of looking over their shoulder thinking "are we being undercut by our competitors" they think "what can we just about get away with charging before looking so expensive people notice and go elsewhere".

I would love it to be driven by the recognition of the value of the earth's resources, but I have my doubts ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Rising prices Empty Re: Rising prices

Post by Dandelion 6th February 2022, 4:28 pm

...and when fuel prices go up, it raises the prices of anything which needs to be delivered. (i.e most things!) I hope that someone, somewhere is taking an in-depth look at the realistic effects of changing the way we heat our houses, travel from A to B and provide power to our factories. I'm getting really fed-up with pronouncements from the top, giving a date by which (for instance) all petrol cars will cease to be sold, but not seeming to have any kind of plan for providing these new cars with charging points. Another example is the change to heat pumps for houses: a lady wrote to Any Answers (radio4) to ask how her flat would be heated, seeing she owned a property on the fourth floor of a block of flats. Am I naïve to hope that there is a team of people working on such problems?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th February 2022, 8:20 pm

Indeed. It seems superficially like an easy solution to outlaw gas boilers in favour of heat pumps. But they aren't a drop in replacement; the higher the temperature gradient they have to pump against, the less effective they are. So big radiators, preferably underfloor heating, and top notch insulation are a must. So what of a house like mine with solid brick walls ? Insulate the inside, and we lose a bedroom. Insulating the outside is problematic too.

And on top of that, the electricity to power all this stuff - heatpumps, cars etc is still ~50% generated ... by burning gas.

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th February 2022, 8:49 pm

I'm sure you're right about the big companies Chilli Head. I also think that decisions are influenced by who donates to political parties.
Mr P used to work on the highways. Amongst manybthings I remember him complaining about having to use an inferior material for road surfacing that had a 7 year lifespan instead of the one used previously which lasted 20 years. The new one was considerably more than a third of the price but was produced by a large and influential company.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th February 2022, 8:48 am

I hadn't realised about the uselessness of heat pumps in an old, solid walled house until I read an article about it yesterday. We did have the kitchen walls insulated on the inside when we had it done up last year, but after the disruption and mess it made, the thought (and cost...) of having every room in the house internally insulated is very daunting. The house is redbrick, and is in a road of similar houses, so external insulation isn't an option as it would completely change the character of the building. I can see that the government is now in a difficult position - they have given their deadline for the phasing out of gas boilers but have done nothing to prepare buildings for heat pumps. And if they start giving proper grants for insulation, will they then feel that they have fallen into the clutches of Insulate Britain by doing so? (We looked into getting loft insulation under one of the previous government schemes - the process was a bit of an eye-opener. We have a loft conversion with good insulation, but there are two sections of roof not included in the loft room which need better insulation. The firm who came to look at the job said that because it was a restricted space, it wasn't something they would do, and we would have to buy the materials and do it ourselves. But aren't lofts usually full of restricted spaces??)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th February 2022, 8:50 am

Ploshkin wrote:I'm sure you're right about the big companies Chilli Head.  I also think that decisions are influenced by who donates to political parties.
Mr P used to work on the highways.  Amongst manybthings I remember him complaining about having to use an inferior material for road surfacing that had a 7 year lifespan instead of  the one used previously which lasted 20 years.  The new one was considerably more than a third of the price but was produced by a large and influential company.

You couldn't make it up...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum