A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Alexanders Soup Hca_button

Alexanders Soup

2 posters

Go down

Alexanders Soup Empty Alexanders Soup

Post by chickenofthewoods 22nd February 2010, 9:48 am

I was inspired to devise this quick recipe using Alexanders the other day, after reading in FLORA DIAETETICA that:

'The leaves too were boiled in broths and soups. It is a warm comfortable plant to a cold, weak stomach, and was in much esteem among the monks, as may be inferred by its still being found in great plenty by old abbey walls.'

Sounds like an ideal candidate for a warming winter broth doesn't it? In the past I've largely avoided Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum) because raw it has a very perfumed aroma and a quite strong, almost spicy distinct taste. But cooking often alters a plant's personality and such is the case with this one. If you try it, please do take great care about identifying your plant correctly as immature spring leaves can sometimes be confusing (use a really good guide like Roger Phillips' Wild Food).

The measurements are a bit rough and ready but I cooked this over a campfire last week so just refine things to your liking when you have the luxury of a kitchen.

Half an onion, finely chopped
1 carrier bag of fresh young alexander leaves, washed and trimmed
2 medium potatoes washed and cubed (you can leave the skins on or not, it's up to you)
Salt and pepper to season
Water
Butter
A small carton of single cream
Arrowroot to thicken (this is optional)

Put a knob of butter into a large pan and allow it to melt, but do not let it burn. Add the onion and cook till transparent. Again, make sure you don't let it burn. Drop the potato cubes in and let them cook a little stirring coninuously, then add just enough water to cover them. Put a lid onto your pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes or so - until they are just getting soft. In the meantime, chop your alexander leaves. If, like me you're out in the woods and don't have the luxury of a hand blender, just shred it as fine as you can. If you're at home, you can coarse chop them and at the end blend the finished soup for a really creamy texture.

Add the Alexanders to the pan, stirring them into the potatoes. Top up the water by a morsel and put the lid back on for another 5/10 minutes. Once everything's cooked together for a while the mixture can be mashed with a fork (I use a round wood masher made from a piece of chestnut branch - very bushcraft!). This allows the potato to thicken the soup. Pour in the carton of single cream, and season to taste. Simmer until the soup is warmed through, and serve with fresh (preferably warm!) buttered, crusty wholegrain bread.

Note: If the soup turns out too thin for your preference, just stir in a teaspoon or two of arrowroot, thinned in a little water.

I hope you enjoy it. :flower:
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Alexanders Soup Empty Re: Alexanders Soup

Post by Sparhawk 23rd February 2010, 9:17 am

Simples! ...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down