A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Thinking of those who have passed. Hca_button

Thinking of those who have passed.

+7
frankbeswick
Penny
windymiller
Akuma
aromatic
MrsNesbitt
Nick B
11 posters

Go down

Thinking of those who have passed. Empty Thinking of those who have passed.

Post by Nick B 11th November 2009, 9:56 am

May I please take this moment in time To Think of all the Servicemen and Servicewomen that have Died fighting for our country and the Service persons who have also died of other countries in the past wars we have had.

May spen a small amount of time thinking of them all who have given up there lives so that we may be free to be able to live our lives the way we want to.

Nick B.
Nick B
Nick B

Back to top Go down

Thinking of those who have passed. Empty Re: Thinking of those who have passed.

Post by MrsNesbitt 11th November 2009, 11:34 am

A lovely thought NB!

Dxx
MrsNesbitt
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

http://www.denisebydesigns.net

Back to top Go down

Post by aromatic 11th November 2009, 5:18 pm

Here! Here!! We will remember those who have fallen and those who are still falling...... Thinking of those who have passed. Coquelicot002
aromatic
aromatic

http://aromatic-thewindsofchange.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 11th November 2009, 5:45 pm

Lovely thought, Nick.

Lest we forget.

A x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by windymiller 11th November 2009, 5:52 pm

Absolutely and not forgetting those that are injured and still with us.
windymiller
windymiller

Back to top Go down

Thinking of those who have passed. Empty Given a chance

Post by Penny 11th November 2009, 7:31 pm

Given a chance, I'd work to keep wars from happening at all. Sigh. I hate seeing the young folks going off to death and pain and disability. I honor the meaning of armed services but I don't believe our governments do or they'd stop getting the world involved in these foolish wars which do no good and so much harm.

If our governments honored our service personnell they would do everything and anything -- for generations if necessary -- to avoid ever fielding our armed services.

Of course, the tough old Sarge would say that's a good way to let the Services get soft.

Perhaps I would like a "softer" world which would allow we humans to concentrate on the hard work we really need to do in order to survive eco-catastrophy. Everybody's so worried about global warming -- a no-brainer -- but we're facing eco-poisoning. We need our people here to help heal the Earth.

Of course, I'm States-side but I'm sure you all can think of a number of things in your home area which aren't happening to help the country you live in tool up for this vastly scary future. Things which our Service personell could use their non-military skills for.

Were you aware that when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans the federal government sent in armed mercenaries to deal with the civilians. Their idea of dealing with people is to beat them up at best. They're just plain killers. At least our Armed Services folks are part of us. They know we're their own people. Some might be right bastards but then that's true wherever you go. I'd trust our folks way above the Blackwater mercenaries.... darn. did I get that name right??? please forgive an old lady's memory glitches here. 🇳🇴
Penny
Penny

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by windymiller 15th November 2009, 10:28 am

It is a shame that troubles keep on erupting, as time passes I cannot help but think that the people trained to fight, create many of the problems later on, no matter if they are official soldiers or terrorists/freedom fighters.

The Triads and Mafia for instance were born from legitimate needs, some ex IRA are now main drug suppliers in the UK.

If countries could disband/step down and retire off their soldiers/terrorists after a conflict has ended then maybe another problems could be stopped before it begins?

I agree Penny ideally soldiers should morph in to another role after being soldiers to continue working until retirement. Special forces should never be allowed to start looking for other employment after such intensive training, they should definately have employment for life.

Sometimes I also wonder, why the support for a fighting force, either at home or abroad surely neednt be young men as long as they are fit for their age?

It seems with soldiers and freedom fighter/terrorists we arent learning by history.

They arent looked after the way they should be.
windymiller
windymiller

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 17th July 2010, 11:52 pm

I have always detested Bush, but I did not know that he had sent Blackwater into New Orleans. Why did our [British] news not reveal it, [ we are supposed to have a quality news service] or do I know already? Our government claimed to be progressive, but was in cahoots with Bush and his gang.

However, I think that many soldiers like doing good and would be happy to morph into it full time, even while they are serving in the forces. My late uncle was a sergeant major, and one of his most happy memories of twenty five years service was rescuing civilians in the 1953 floods in the Netherlands.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 17th July 2010, 11:56 pm

Here in Canada there is a big thing about how we "Support our Troops". we just despise the war criminals who send them out to die in their war of political convenience...
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th July 2010, 12:35 am

I agree .

I think it is important to separate out the "Support the Troops who have been damaged/need help/ended their tour and have been left in the lurch" message

from the " I despise the politics/politicians who sent them there because they couldn't be bothered/wanted the oil/uranium etc etc etc ...."

I support the former, but marched about the latter

I worked for the MoD for many years, in case anyone was wondering.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 18th July 2010, 2:17 am

I did too,

I will give 4 initials,

P T S D

is something that I am interested in at the moment, for varying reasons, I am reading into it...

Rhetorical question: It has been known about since the first world war, why in the U.K. is it still not accepted by the MOD & treated properly?

The figures from the Falklands conflict is already horendous & increasing daily ...

With something that can take many years (15 - 20+) to manifest is it realy fair to be sending so many of our people into "theatres of conflict" without the full support needed when they come home...

I am now coming up with my theories & I am hoping to prepare something to submit to somebody through the right channels at a later date, but already I believe the problems will get worse...

Thank God that the ex service charities are becoming proactive about it, because with the modern conflicts we are sitting on time bombs.
Why should charities have to provide the research & treatment that the MOD tries to brush under the carpet & shirk all responsibility for...

That turned into a rant, I'm not sorry, I am too often seeing & hearing of the adverse effects on individuals & society at the moment with a lack of help & understanding...

Last edited by sparhawk on 20th July 2010, 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 18th July 2010, 12:01 pm

sparhawk wrote:Rhetorical question: It has been known about since the first world war, why in the U.K. is it still not accepted by the MOD & treated properly?
Sorry, I don't believe in rhetoric.
It is simple. If they admit it, then they admit liability for their negligence in failing to properly address it.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 30th December 2010, 1:13 am

I think that soldiers really like doing relief work. My uncle was a sergeant major, and one of his greatest pleasures in the job was rescuing people from the 1953 floods in the Netherlands. [Does this reveal me as old?] My father was an assault trooper, trained to kill, though he would never say whether he had killed anyone. But after the war he never used his skills and training wrongly. He was too gentle and kind for his own good, despite the fact that he could have killed people who crossed him. The import of what I am saying is that it is not military training that does harm, it is what you chose to do with it that matters.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down