A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 Hca_button

How are the bees surviving this winter?

+4
Compostwoman
Chilli-head
AngelinaJellyBeana
BertieFox
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 Empty Re: How are the bees surviving this winter?

Post by Guest 7th January 2011, 7:44 pm

I had a look in on my little darlings this afternoon after it stopped raining (a balmy 12 deg C fry )
Knowing how keen they are to greet me I went fully kitted up!

There was a good deal of activity at the hive entrance (good sign) and I gave them a light smoking with lavender stalks. Inside they were crawling over the comb but very docile in comparison with normal. I took the opportunity to take out some empty cross-comb and two bars (see below). I thought at first there was no honey but when I got back to the house I found a small area of capped cells. That is a relief, from the end I was working I could not see any capped cells. I now think the comb at that end of the hive was drawn but never filled, I suspect the inner combs probably hold enough stores of honey. To be on the safe side I have made some fondant and will smear this into some combs tomorrow along with the bars I removed today.

I have had a great problem with cross-combing this year. This means I will have a mamoth task in the spring to get everything straight so that I can lift out the bars. To this end I have started removing empty comb from the hive to make 1" starter strips on new top bars. Once the first big flow starts in the spring I will probably remove (cut out) all the cross comb except for that with brood. This brood comb will have to be shunted along and eventually replaced as the summer goes on.
Well that's the vague plan anyway! How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 826260

Back to top Go down

How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 Empty Re: How are the bees surviving this winter?

Post by Sparhawk 9th January 2011, 8:36 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:If I had rats with teeth 1cm long and a few mm wide I would move house.

& the Hairy one would make a fortune in his farm... Laughing
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2011, 9:48 pm

The weather here was warm enough to venture into the hive again today.

On first sight (viewed from the non-brood end) there didn't appear to be any capped honey in the comb so I oiked out a piece of cross comb that had fallen to the bottom of the hive in the autumn, cleaned out the bottom debris and put in two new bars with starter strips (made up from a piece of cross comb a week ago). Also put in a bit of fondant with the bars.

As it was so warm I then decided to take a look in at the brood end. I lifted out the follower board and was greeted by the little darlings keenly! Shocked A little smoke tempered their welcome. Laughing And behold.... capped cells of honey
How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 5361622056_6fc1562c25

After a good look I closed the brood end and was about to put the roof back on. I decide to have another quick look at the other end, pulled back the fleece and saw a mouse. Luckily I caught and dispatched the mouse quickly. On the second look I prodded my knife through the empty comb and found honey. The little darlings are well stocked and flighting fit!
So all in all i'm.... keeper

Back to top Go down

How are the bees surviving this winter? - Page 2 Empty Mr Mouse

Post by BertieFox 19th January 2011, 11:42 am

Just wondered how a mouse would get into what appears to be a very secure topbar hive? I know with conventional hives they just sneak in through the entrance if you don't use a mouseguard. I was pleasantly surprised there were no mice in our hives this year as we didn't put the mouseguards in. Is the entrance large enough on a top bar hive to get in or did it sneak in under the lid?

Come to think of it, perhaps the mice are just getting active and looking for places to raise an early family. I must go out this pm and put the mouseguards in place as I still haven't done it this year! bee
BertieFox
BertieFox

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 19th January 2011, 12:21 pm

How did you get rid of the mouse? Will he not just return?
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 19th January 2011, 1:17 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:How did you get rid of the mouse? Will he not just return?

Here kitty, kitty! Om, nom, nom...
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 19th January 2011, 1:56 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:How did you get rid of the mouse? Will he not just return?

Here kitty, kitty! Om, nom, nom...

lol. I suspect that would be at odds with the principles of vegetarian natural beekeeping. Our fieldmice run a gauntlet between the pigs and the chickens. I actually saw the chickens trying to chase down a rabbit the other day. Unsurprisingly it managed to evade them, but it was funny to watch.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 19th January 2011, 2:26 pm

Some of mine had a frog yesterday. Poor thing.

I think WT said he dispatched the mouse , Billy...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2