A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup Hca_button

Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup

3 posters

Go down

Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup Empty Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup

Post by chickenofthewoods 30th January 2011, 8:46 pm

Thought you guys might enjoy this. There are some good litle videos on this website.

http://wn.com/Hand_carving_a_wet_wood_drinking_cup
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup Empty Re: Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup

Post by Chilli-head 31st January 2011, 10:42 am

Interesting to see his technique. Now, I have only worked with seasoned timber, and my first thought watching that is, how do you prevent the wood spiltting as it dries ? It looks to be quite thin in places, so I would expect it to dry out rapidly and crack. Or is it a question of using the right wood ?

I should confess that my PC at work has no speakers, so I can only watch and not listen, maybe my questions are answered if I could ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup Empty Re: Hand caring a wet wood drinking cup

Post by chickenofthewoods 31st January 2011, 11:17 am

He talks about choosing the right part of the wood (but sadly doesn't go into much detail) so that the drying process is even. That said, his style is quite organic so I wonder if he'd happily accept the odd distortion or 'shake' in a piece as simply part of its unique character.

Fun to watch though.

(Meant to add - that whole thing took him about 3 hours to rough out.)
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st January 2011, 11:25 am

Thanks for filling me in .. Yes, I like the character and the organic curves, but in a drinking cup although character is good, being watertight is rather fundamental !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenofthewoods 31st January 2011, 11:47 am

Too true! Have you looked over on the Bodger's forum? Nice bunch of guys & very helpful. You ask them anything to do with the topic and they'll happily share their knowledge.

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/index.php
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 31st January 2011, 1:54 pm

I've started to do a bit of looking at how wood cures, as I'm interested in getting more into greedwood working too. What I've read so far is that the drying defects can be managed by rate of drying, method, and of course wood choice. As wood dries, the first thing to go is the free water, in the pores, in the cells, until it reaches the Fiber Saturation Point (FSP). Once that 'excess' water is gone, the water bound in the cells and cell structure begins to dry. Once the water percentage goes below this FSP, that's when the 'real' drying begins, when the wood starts to become harder and changes its structure. Water moves more easily along the grain of the wood to an exposed cross cut, but the majority of the exposed surface area will be along the grain in a finished piece. Consequently, the areas about the exposed cross grain (end of workpiece) will typically try to dry most rapidly on that first edge, while the rest of the wood has to wait for its water to move across cell layers to dry out from the surfaces. This results in a disparaging rate of structure change from the end area of the wood to the more interior regions. This places stress on the piece, and subsequent drying defects. One of the methods used in commercial drying kilns which would be usable by the home woodworker could be to apply wax along the cross grain leading edge to deliberately slow down moisture loss at the extreme edges, and alow the rate to be more equal across the entire piece. Basically, seal the rim and the butt of the glass. The types of stresses also apply from the difference in drying rates of the surface to the interior as well. Maybe not so much in a thin wall cup, but probably depends with wood choice again. What the "big guys" do to prevent this differential stress (known as case hardening) is to control the humidity of the air during stages of drying. They will only vent off humid air for dryer gradually as the wood dries (by regulating the rate at which fresh air is exchanged) to match the rate at which moisture travels from interior areas of the wood to exterior. This may not be so feasable for the home woodworker, but older workers in the know may just have recipes for wiping damp cloth on the work piece XX many days in a row as it dries, or some other moisture management control. Not sure how much of this is actually usable information at hand, but just trying to pass on some of the things I've been reading lately. Good Luck!
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down