A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat Hca_button

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat

+5
Adrian
Luath
Jaded Green
Dandelion
Compostwoman
9 posters

Go down

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat Empty ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat

Post by Compostwoman 15th April 2011, 5:02 pm

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat – having once campaigned against it.

He said he would carry on using peat-based compost until a “perfect substitute” is discovered.
But environmentalists said his stand sent the wrong message to amateur gardeners.

Read more:

HERE
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat Empty Re: ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat

Post by Dandelion 15th April 2011, 7:26 pm

I would agree that non-peat composts aren't perfect (for sowing seeds, for instance) but it's still no reason to be destroying areas of peat. (I believe that the Uk is currently despoiling countries of Eastern Europe for their peat at the present.) Has the man not understood that peat has important functions outside his garden???
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat Empty Re: ALAN Titchmarsh defends his decision to continue using peat

Post by Compostwoman 15th April 2011, 9:17 pm

I use Fertile Fibre for seed growing and find it excellent.

They are based at Withington as well!

I cannot understand his mind set at all.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 15th April 2011, 9:36 pm

There is no defence. Mr JG and I didn't buy seed compost last weekend because our garden centre didn't sell any that didn't contain peat. Must go to Oxfam and get a coir brick!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Luath 16th April 2011, 12:34 pm

The man's a twonk.

I got some of the coir bricks from Oxfam, but haven's used them yet.
Luath
Luath

http://unboughtdelicacies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 16th April 2011, 1:13 pm

Well that confirms my already low opinion of Titchmarch, one already brought low by the crime against horticulture that was Groundforce..
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 16th April 2011, 2:41 pm

It is fortunate that he has modified his position on peat, because now he can accept those big fat cheques from B&Q for promoting their peat compost without feeling any twinges of conscience.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 16th April 2011, 5:04 pm

The man's a pillock, I went off him years ago when I read his attempt at a sex scene in one of his novels... his poor wife.. Rolling Eyes Wink

There's no need for peat, I've not used in years and don't even notice, what a plonker... Rolling Eyes
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 16th April 2011, 5:17 pm

to ne fair, he only say he uses peat "sometimes" and for plants he can't grow without peat.

While I wouldn't expect that particular publication to skew a quote for a good story, it is possible they may have misunderstood him a little. :?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 16th April 2011, 9:00 pm

Hairyloon wrote:to ne fair, he only say he uses peat "sometimes" and for plants he can't grow without peat.

Well then ,surely just don't grow that plant? Neutral I'm curious as to which plant it is that is so peat specific?
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th April 2011, 9:00 pm

Hairyloon wrote:to ne fair, he only say he uses peat "sometimes" and for plants he can't grow without peat.

While I wouldn't expect that particular publication to skew a quote for a good story, it is possible they may have misunderstood him a little. :?

This article and a similar one in Horticultural Week were based on a longer one in the Gardeners' World magazine .

If he really needs to use Peat, why can't he use something like Moorland Gold where the Peat is reclaimed from the filters in various water works etc. It is washed out naturally and would otherwise be a waste product and thrown away. It is really good stuff.

Its what I use!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th April 2011, 9:10 pm

Otter Farm blog

talks about this issue

I had also noticed that the Jamie Oliver stuff was not Peat Free. I was not impressed. But then I am often unimpressed by J.O.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 16th April 2011, 9:32 pm

Lottie wrote:

Well then ,surely just don't grow that plant? Neutral I'm curious as to which plant it is that is so peat specific?

Me too, as far as I can recall, there are peat free alternatives for just about all ericaceous plants.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 17th April 2011, 12:12 am

Maybe you lot are all much better gardeners than he is.
Perhaps you should write & send him some tips.

Or go a step further and make a documentary proving how wrong he is... Anyone know any celebrities?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th April 2011, 12:23 am

I have done a fair bit of "media" stuff in the not to distant past....( have done a lot of press stuff actually) and would be up to do more in theory ....

but tbh it is not " sexy" or " now"...to grow your own, talk sense, make compost, chutney, cheese etc

and have had enough of being made to look stupid by tv types who say one thing and then vt another................
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 17th April 2011, 12:43 am

Dunno about being a better gardener HL, but I am a Horticulturist trained in ornamental plant production and environmental horticulture, and reckon my education may be touch more up to date than ATs. I also work in area of the world where ericaceous plants thrive and to be honest I am almost completely certain that nothing grown here needs a peat based compost.

I could be wrong about it, but I do know that none of the local nursery owners touch the stuff for their plant production.
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 17th April 2011, 9:57 am

So throw down the gauntlet and challenge him to a competition...
See if that newspaper will sponsor it.

What do other TV gardeners think?
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 17th April 2011, 8:29 pm

I duobt whether Bob would be impressed.... Shocked

I think the problem is that he is nolonger just a well known gardener, HL, he's a brand. Neutral Even if he was challenged and beaten decidedly, it'd be the person that beat him who'd get the stick, I reckon. Alan is the population's darling, especially the older ladies.. Laughing
I used to adore him, anything he said to do in the garden, I'd do... Shocked now? Bit more cynical. I just don' t think he's acting responsibliby, and he should be setting the standard, not undermining it.
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 17th April 2011, 9:47 pm

Lottie wrote:Even if he was challenged and beaten decidedly, it'd be the person that beat him who'd get the stick, I reckon..
Is he an arse? Or is he just misguided?
He is not a politician, there should not be a problem with him making a U-turn when he has been shown to be wrong.

It is not about beating him, it is about showing the error of his ways, so he can champion the right cause.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 18th April 2011, 9:39 am

If he doesn't know the pitfalls of using peat by now, HL, with all his years of experience, then I despair, I really do...
Lottie
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th April 2011, 10:36 am

Over of Kitchen Garden magazine forum there are a good few think like him; until there is something as good as peat (probably without modifying growing methods at all) they will find all manner of straws to clutch to justify to themselves continuing with peat.

The only peat I use is in JI seed compost, and amounts to very little; but I'm experimenting with leaf mold this year in the hope of replacing that.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 18th April 2011, 11:03 am

Lottie wrote:If he doesn't know the pitfalls of using peat by now, HL, with all his years of experience, then I despair, I really do...
As I understand, the pitfalls of peat are entirely remote from the gardening.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down