A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Red Squirrels Hca_button

Red Squirrels

2 posters

Go down

Red Squirrels Empty Red Squirrels

Post by Ploshkin 26th September 2013, 9:50 am

Mike
In the UK, native red squirrels are an endangered species having been out competed by the introduced American grey squirrel (now they are regarded as bushy tailed vermin - in this household anyway).  The reds have also succumbed to diseases  that arrived with the greys.

Red squirrels only now exist in small pockets in the UK, in remote areas & on islands, where the populations are managed & the greys actively eliminated.  European strains have been brought in to boost the gene pool in some areas as well.  The mid Wales population is a unique native genotype that has been able to survive, unmanaged, & seems to have some resistance to diseases that have wiped out others & they have been living in areas where greys are also prevalent.  I know that they are in 2 areas near us, one a mile away & one 4 miles away as they are monitored by a local wildlife group.  We only planted our wood 4 years ago so the trees are not yet mature enough to provide a habitat.

I know it probably seems strange to you when red squirrels are ten a penny, but for us they are an iconic species that I have only seen 3 times in my life.  We really hope to see some in our wood one day, when the trees have grown, but even if we don't I hope that what we have done will help them to survive here and enable future generations to see them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Red Squirrels Empty Re: Red Squirrels

Post by Mike 27th September 2013, 1:41 pm

The introduced diseases are probably the main problem. That sort of thing always causes a crash in the native population. But as long as some percentage of the natives are resistant recovery will happen all by itself. This sort of thing (introduced diseases) can be much worse than your red squirrel problem. I am actively involved with the project to breed American chestnut trees resistant to the chestnut blight; possibly to phytopthera also but that resistance some American trees had pre blight.

But a secondary problem which may prevent red squirrel recovery is that you are so built up. Over here both greys and reds are native but growing up in the suburbs I never saw a red squirrel. The reds cannot compete with the greys in urban areas or suburban areas. They can successfully compete in the forests as they have different "strategies" storing food for the winter. The greys use "burying buts singly" and that only works with the large nuts. The reds are "hoard storer's" and can store even the small seeds/nuts that way.

Easy to make your land attractive to squirrels fairly quickly. They don't mind eating hazelnuts and it wouldn't take you long to establish a source of a lot of those. You want reds, so instead of oaks and chestnuts (good burying nuts for greys) try beech and smaller seed trees (good for hoarding).
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 29th September 2013, 5:29 pm

I didn't know about the big nuts / small seeds - that's interesting.  We already have loads of hazel, probably the most common tree around here but as I understand it, the grey squirrels are able to tolerate higher tannin levels & therefore strip the trees of nuts before they are sufficiently ripe for the red squirrels (& humans too - I've never managed to get any hazelnuts despite there being loads of green ones earlier in the season).  We're not built up here at all, very rural.  Farming is all sheep & cattle & there are good deciduous wood corridors & managed forestry plantations on the highest areas.
I hadn't heard of chestnut blight, I think the chestnut is one of few trees in the UK that aren't currently under threat.  We've got sudden oak death, ash dieback, dutch elm disease, phythoptera in various species to name just a few & I noticed a lot of holly dying this year too.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 30th September 2013, 1:38 am

In preparing for the winter, the grey squirrel buries nuts singly. That calls for relatively large nuts like acorns, chestnut, etc. The red squirrel builds a hoard of food for winter in some hopefully safe location where it plans to live, hollow tree, among the rocks, (in your house attic). Seed size isn't important for seeds stored in a dry heap.

That's why I suggested a feeder (technically a bird feeder) filled with sunflower seeds (black oil seed higher food value than the striped ones we can eat too). While grey squirrels will come to eat these too they cannot store them (but the reds can).

Please bear in mind what I said about not seeing any red squirrels while growing up in the suburbs (what we call suburbs). I would not expect to see red squirrels on land here that was as built up as 90% of Britain is.

Chestnut blight -- the fungus C. parasitica was introduced from Asia possibly on Asiatic chestnut specimens brought to the Bronx Botanical Garden. At least that was the apparent epicenter when discovered in 1904 (some scientists believe it had gotten over sooner than that). At the time perhaps 1 out of four trees on the east coast was a chestnut! They possibly produced more food for the animals than all the rest combined. While this disease doesn't actually kill the tree (cannot go below ground level so the chestnut will resprout) it effectively makes the species extinct as chestnuts will not flower unless in full sun at the top of the canopy, so the persistence of individuals in the substory means nothing.

BTW -- the European species is not very resistant to the blight fungus.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down