A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Saving seeds from climbing French beans Hca_button

Saving seeds from climbing French beans

3 posters

Go down

Saving seeds from climbing French beans Empty Saving seeds from climbing French beans

Post by Dandelion 22nd January 2015, 8:09 pm

These are the instructions for specifically saving bean seeds, but the principles are the same for many other varieties. As these instructions are to help people who want to preserve an old variety of bean (rather than produce a new cross) they suggest ways to keep the variety intact and unchanged. (From the Heritage Seed Library)

French beans self-pollinate and you can save seed from just a few plants; more is better and we recommend around 20. Do not grow two varieties side-by-side if you intend to save seed, or save seeds from plants that produce pods or foliage that differs from the majority of your crop. Dry the pods on the plants; if bad weather threatens pull up the whole plant and hang upside down somewhere warm until the pods are crisp. Once the seeds have been removed from the pods, ensure they are completely dry, place in paper bags or airtight jars and store somewhere cool. They should remain viable for up to three years
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Saving seeds from climbing French beans Empty Re: Saving seeds from climbing French beans

Post by Ploshkin 22nd January 2015, 10:04 pm

I had 3 attempts at Mr Fearns.  I let the pods go swollen but couldn't pull up whole plants because they were tangled in bean netting. I got as much stem & foliage as I could.  First try I hung them up in the greenhouse but the beans went mouldy in the pods.  Second lot I took indoors but the beans went wrinkly.  The third lot I left on staging in a shed but they also went mouldy but I had taken those pods off very late when I was clearing the bed so they were pretty soggy to start with.  I think my main problem with trying to save peas &  beans is wet weather. I manage to do small seeds ok.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Saving seeds from climbing French beans Empty Re: Saving seeds from climbing French beans

Post by Chilli-head 23rd January 2015, 8:12 am

This is an interesting topic. I have also had trouble drying beans (for storage, rather than seed, but the principle is the same). And I live in supposedly one of the driest parts of the country. But still they don't always dry naturally before the weather turns. Trying to dry runner beans, and borlotti indoors made them go brown and unappealing. I did wonder about hanging the whole plant upside down in the shed, but they are a bit unwieldy !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd January 2015, 4:26 pm

I think the secret of my success is that I forget to pick the beans early in the season (or don't see them), so right from when they first flower and form beans there are some which I'm 'saving for seed' (in other words I've let them go tough and useless for eating!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th August 2015, 2:53 pm

Back to the seed saving thread - I going to try & save some Mr Fearn's beans and Tutankhamun peas for next year but have never yet succeeded because of wet weather but I will try.
However, my polytunnel will be in use before the end of this year (I'm ordering it today - hooray) so I was thinking that next year I will plant a few of each (a bit presumptuous but I'm hoping here that Dandelion will put some in the seed swap again) in a corner of the polytunnel specifically for seed saving. Does that plan have any flaws?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th August 2015, 7:23 pm

I have plenty left of both from last season, and hope to save some more this year, so remind me again and I'll let you have some.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down