A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 15 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 15 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 23rd June 2020, 5:47 pm

Those are indeed rather perfect calabrese. So much so that I'm going to test the Like button on them Laughing

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 15 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 25th June 2020, 10:14 pm

Not a bad day today. First six padron peppers, a couple of courgettes, garlic and cucumber for tzatziki, a handful of raspberries and a few beetroot for salad. A few pods of peas to nibble, but most aren't really ready yet.

Still looking hopefully at the tomatoes, but they aren't showing much signs of even thinking to ripen yet Neutral
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th June 2020, 10:39 pm

I got excited because I thought I'd got a couple of ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse, but when I examined them, the ones which were coloured had also got blossom end rot Sad
It's been a particular problem this year in the greenhouse - I've squeezed a few left-over tomato plants into odd spots in the garden and none of them are suffering. I've started feeding in the greenhouse twice weekly in the hope that this will improve the situation, and am also watering twice a day on ridiculously hot days (like today!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th June 2020, 10:41 pm

Today I've had 4 sungold to.atoes and my first melon.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 25th June 2020, 10:46 pm

Picked first crops from the allotment yesterday - enough sugar snaps to put in a stir fry, along with baby courgettes, and some baby carrots from a trough at home. Plus a couple of dried chillies from 2018 harvest. Also have a large bowl of strawberries in the fridge - the only fruit I'm expecting any quantity of this year.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th June 2020, 2:50 pm

First few blueberries.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th June 2020, 9:39 pm

We've had a few blueberries too, and had them with strawberries on our cereal yesterday morning (so it looked like the picture on the cereal packet!!) One bluberry bush is doing well - large berries, and good growth on the bush. The other bush hasn't gown much, and the fruit is sparse and much smaller. It also has a bit of liverwort growing over the base of the plant. The two bushes were bought at the same time and have been treated identically in terms of repotting, a little light pruning, and feeding. It's interesting that sometimes a plant just doesn't thrive.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2020, 8:30 am

Same variety, Dandelion? I have three different varieties, and growth habit and size of berries differs a lot.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 29th June 2020, 9:49 am

I wont have many blueberries this year - one severely pruned bush and two new plantings but the ones I have aren't even beginning to colour yet. At least I should get them this year as they are now in the fruit cage.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th June 2020, 12:09 pm

Funny you should ask that Freebird, because I have wondered the same. According to the labels they are both Patriot but they do look different.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 29th June 2020, 7:46 pm

My blueberries seemed to get off to a slow start but I picked a good crop from one of them today - probably Patriot because I think that fruits earlier than Poppins. One of my blackcurrant bushes has masses of large berries which I haven't picked yet and the old gooseberry plant is heaving with fruit though I think some of it is a little past its best.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2020, 9:14 pm

Good haul today - cut n come again lettuce still going well + some spinach and beet leaves, broad beans, strawberries, courgettes, sugar snap peas and 2nd early potatoes. It's lovely to be eating our own produce again after last year's famine due to the move.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st July 2020, 1:46 pm

I'm starting to pick tomatoes from the greenhouse - I picked off all the ones I could see with blossom end rot earlier, and now I'm actually getting some edible ones! But I don't think any of the plants are going to be particularly productive - the stupidly hot weather over the last few weeks doesn't seem to have been very good for them. The plants I squeezed in to the garden could be more productive hopefully - it's always a bit of a gamble with the threat of blight though. I've got my favourite Black Russian, Golden Sunrise, Buissonante, Ruby (which I may not bother with next year unless the taste is superlative - I grew it a few years back, and I can't remember what it's like. It's early, but few fruits, and it was the main variety which rotted.) I'm also growing Rio Grande, which is new to me - a colleague at school grew it on her allotment last year, and brought some into school to share.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st July 2020, 7:51 pm

Perhaps we should do a tomato swap to try each other's fruits. I have only Rose de Berne, Artisan Blush Tiger and Tumbling Tom this year, as I hadn't wanted to buy any more seed. Nothing ripe yet.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st July 2020, 9:36 pm

Ive had my first Bloody Butcher todag and a couple more Sungolds. BB are tasty but prone to greenback.

I have grown Ruby several times. Lovely, huge, tasty tomatoes but not a big crop and I recall an odd growth habit - a bit random and very uneven size fruit.

I had my second melon today, gorgeous. Actually I've missed out a bit with the early hot weather the fruit set really early and the fruits are small. I've got 7 and was hoping for some more but only one other is developing.
I cut 7 cucumbers today. It's probably a good thing the 2nd plant keeled over as I can't keep up with one.

Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 2nd July 2020, 4:44 pm

Potatoes, both from a bag-type potato planter at home and out the ground on the allotment. So, the planter potatoes were Swift (first earlies), three plants but the foliage was so slug eaten it wasn't worth leaving them any longer. Washed, they weighed 1lb 13.5oz.

What are you harvesting today? - Page 15 20200710

The allotment potatoes were Estima (second earlies) and I dug four plants, weighed in a carrier bag and still muddy - they were a smidgen over 3lb. Might weigh them again when washed if I remember.

I think the planter potatoes compare quite well. They have been planted longer but I wouldn't expect a great yield from first earlies. So although not a big crop, maybe still worthwhile to grow in a planter. I did what I said I would and moved all the planters to a spot where the containers were shaded, with the foliage in the sunshine.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd July 2020, 5:16 pm

Nice clean potatoes ! I grow Charlotte in the garden, my little kitchen garden plot has been built up over decades of the greenhouse spent potting compost being discarded there, so it is almost like growing in compost in a planter - little cleaning. The clay at the allotment is a different story !

Back up to 4 cucumbers in the fridge. Probably cucumber raita to go with curry night tonight ! Some padron peppers ready too - useful in this weather that they don't have to ripen to be ready.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th July 2020, 8:57 pm

I had a good trip to the allotment yesterday. 2.5kg of blackcurrants, and a good punnet of raspberries. I now have a contented tummy after Mrs C-H's summer pudding Very Happy

I also picked a row of peas, which had come ready all at once. Quite a few maggoty ones, but still got 1kg of peas for the freezer. I also got the first few courgettes, and today I dug some more new potatoes, which are also now eaten.

There are enough blackcurrants left for jam making tomorrow, Our neighbour gave us a jar of their redcurrant & raspberry jam too this afternoon.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 5th July 2020, 9:42 pm

That all sounds good CH. Been a long time since I've had any quantity of blackcurrants. It's the only soft fruit bush that came here as a cutting, and to my surprise has a single stem with a few little trusses of ripening fruit. Not enough for anything but a garnish!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 5th July 2020, 11:22 pm

I pulled a few onions today, as they were ready.But the birds seem to have been at my blackcurrants!
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th July 2020, 9:09 am

My blackcurrants are always netted. Interestingly, our birds seem to have no interest in the raspberries. They had been at my peas, but eating the foliage, thankfully not the pods. Strawberries and brassica also have to be under netting to keep the pidgeons off. Indeed, I have no idea how it is possible to grow brassica without environmesh to protect from pidgeons, cabbage root fly, cabbage white butterflies, whitefly and probably another dozen pests I've forgotten. They are the most attacked crop of them all !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th July 2020, 9:14 pm

Dug up my garlic today. Pleasantly surprised, as in November the only bit of available soil was in the fruit cage. Scratched around and found a bit of spent compost in some old pots and mixed that in, along with a miniscule amount of compost found in the bottom of the dalek that was already here. Top dressed in the spring with some worm compost. Something obviously went right as it's the biggest garlic I've ever managed to grow, although I reckon I could have left it in the ground another fortnight.

Edited to add - agree with you about brassicas, CH. Haven't so far had whitefly or aphid problems, but there are wood pigeons both here and on the allotment. I have discovered that sparrows adore pea shoots. You say thankfully not the pods, but they were destroying my plants to such an extent they weren't likely to make any pods. It is proving so difficult to protect my tall Tutankhamun peas that I may have to resort to growing them at home in the fruit cage next year.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th July 2020, 9:43 pm

I grow brassicas in a cage with butterfly netting. That keepsthe birds off as well but unfortunately not the mealy aphids.
I too have no blackcurrants this year because I disposed of my massive 21 year old bush ( too big and wrong place for the fruit cage) and started again with a severely pruned, much smaller transplanted bush. The only fruit I will get outside this year is raspberries and a few blueberries.
I'm starting to get a good supply of tomatoes now.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th July 2020, 4:10 pm

Just picked about a tablespoon of blackcurrants - my entire harvest. Considering that plant was a little stick cutting about 15 months ago, I am delighted to have a little harvest.

They will be carefully cooked in some sweetened water and thickened with a little arrowroot. Makes a lovely topping for vanilla ice cream. Just enough for pud tonight.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th July 2020, 4:50 pm

freebird wrote:

I have discovered that sparrows adore pea shoots. You say thankfully not the pods, but they were destroying my plants to such an extent they weren't likely to make any pods. It is proving so difficult to protect my tall Tutankhamun peas that I may have to resort to growing them at home in the fruit cage next year.

I have sparrows flying at the Tutankhamun peas, pecking at the shoots, but as I always accidentally plant far too many seeds, it doesn't seem to significantly diminish the number of peas. The problem I have with them is the wind (meteorological not gastric!) - for the last couple of years we seem to have had unseasonably windy weather at this time of the year, and the peas and their aluminium support get blown sideways and need a guy rope!

Last edited by Dandelion on 8th July 2020, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th July 2020, 4:53 pm

The blackfly in my garden, having been ousted from the broad beans when I put them on the compost heap, have unexpectedly turned their attentions to the rhubarb. I always consider rhubarb to be fairly easy and trouble free, apart from crown rot, but having pulled some stems this afternoon the leaves are crawling with the little beasts. And as a consequence I now have blackfly - my clothes are covered!!

Last edited by Dandelion on 8th July 2020, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next