A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Green guilty pleasures and penance ! Hca_button

Green guilty pleasures and penance !

4 posters

Go down

Green guilty pleasures and penance ! Empty Green guilty pleasures and penance !

Post by Chilli-head 4th February 2019, 3:13 pm

I'm sure lots of environmentally inclined people, like me, have that area of their lifestyle that they deliberately gloss over when it comes to thinking of green measures ...

I think I've probably made it clear that my guilty pleasure, eco-wise, is travel.  Both I and Mrs C-H love seeing new places, cultures, traditions, and tasting different foods.  All of that comes at a price to the eco credentials, but I find it very hard to cut back.  Really not doing too well with Japan, Berlin last year, and the niece's wedding in New York coming up this summer Embarassed  Don't think I can do much to make up for that.

The other thing I enjoy is the outdoors, walking and cycling.  That in itself is not too bad, but of course there are all the car miles getting to somewhere to do those things - hill walking in Bedfordshire is a bit limiting Laughing   My sister is also a walker, and she is does a "Walk 1000 miles in a year" challenge, from Country Walking magazine.  She did it last year, and is doing it again this year (though breaking her foot on 4th Jan was not a good start).  She suggested I should count my walking miles and see if I can do it.  But 1000 is quite a lot, and I don't want to risk turning an enjoyable recreation into a chore.  Then I had an idea;  for fitness / training I often walk or cycle to / from work, 5 miles each way.  Perhaps I could try to offset my car mileage for walking / cycling trips by car journeys to work avoided by going by bike / on foot.  Still sounds pretty tough, but if I allow myself to count only my share of journeys where we go as a group car-sharing, it might just be on. So far I've banked 84 miles self-propelled in January.

What's your guilty pleasure ?  Any ideas to offset it ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Green guilty pleasures and penance ! Empty Re: Green guilty pleasures and penance !

Post by freebird 4th February 2019, 5:38 pm

1000 miles a year is only 2.73 miles a day. I walk the dog that far as a minimum. I worked out a while ago that at a very conservative estimate I have dog walked at least 5,500 miles over her lifetime, though probably rather more.

But guilty pleasures? Not a travel fanatic. It was really nice about a year ago to treat ourselves to a new sofa and armchair. We have always had 2nd hand, but I just got fed up with things never being quite right. Although now we're going to be moving, it probably won't be right for our new home!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Green guilty pleasures and penance ! Empty Re: Green guilty pleasures and penance !

Post by Chilli-head 4th February 2019, 9:15 pm

I did think that how difficult the 1000 mile target is really depends on how much of it you can fit into regular life. Walking weekends / holidays aren't going to do it alone. My walk to work option is good in that it replaces a car journey I'd have to make. But 5 miles each way is a bit long, I have to find a couple of extra hours in my day even at my rather brisk walking speed. So, can't do that many days per week. But if it were 2 miles each way, I could do that most days. Much shorter than that I would do every day, but it wouldn't be enough. So living the optimal distance from work would be a big help !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 5th February 2019, 12:28 pm

Could you drive part way and leave the car, giving you a shorter walk each way? Probably no more eco friendly though, as the worst part of car emissions is starting a vehicle from cold. Leaving the car 1.5 miles from your destination would give you less than a half hour walk each way, and a mile and a half 'in the bank' by the end of the working week.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th February 2019, 9:27 pm

Very boring but my guilty indulgence is the tumble drier. Everything washed goes in there and then gets folded while warm (life's too short for ironing). With the excessively wet weather we have it can be impossible to get stuff dry and I will not tolerate wet stuff draped round the house. I got a drier after I had brought a load of washing in from the line 3 times to spin the rainwater out of it. I didn't replace the washing line after it got eaten by pigs.
Where I live it's not an option to not drive but I don't make unnecessary journeys and I wait until I have several things to do in one trip.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th February 2019, 3:28 pm

Ploshkin wrote: I didn't replace the washing line after it got eaten by pigs.

I love it!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th February 2019, 6:09 pm

I have a nifty cover on my rotary airer invented by a local entrepreneur (I was going to put a link to the website but it is down for refurbishment.) So I do try to dry as much as possible on the line: on a work day I can peg the washing up in the early evening, and leave it until I get back from work the next day. It is usually at least half dry even in the winter. But on those November days of fog and high humidity nothing dries, so I do use a tumble drier then (and enjoy not having to iron!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th February 2019, 6:11 pm

My other guilty pleasure is ready meals - not very often, but with working fur days a week and having family commitments too sometimes it's just lovely to put a tikka masala in the microwave. The ready meal containers go into school - the art department has one on every table for the students to sharpen their pencils into!! I would love to have time to cook every meal from scratch, but sometimes it's wonderful for it to have been done for you!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down