A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today. Hca_button

traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today.

4 posters

Go down

traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today. Empty traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today.

Post by Robin Wood 23rd March 2010, 11:55 pm

I am just back from the official press launch of the Heritage Crafts Association at the V&A. It was a great day and wonderful to see some of the country's top craftspeople. Most of the mastercrafts mentors and production team were there, Phil Harding from Time Team gave a speech and to coincide there was a really nice article on traditional crafts in the Guardian here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/mar/22/heritage-crafts-at-risk

Will post some pics tomorrow.
Robin Wood

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today. Empty Re: traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today.

Post by MrsC 24th March 2010, 7:53 am

Super - looking forward to seeing the pictures Robin.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today. Empty Re: traditional crafts in the V&A and the Guardian today.

Post by chickenofthewoods 24th March 2010, 7:59 am

It's been too long since I was last up at the V&A, one of my absolute favourite museums. I wanted to get up to Town for the Ife exhibiton too - shame they're not just a little bit closer together.
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th March 2010, 10:51 am

I hope there is a way forward to start the apprenticeships but also the promotion of the skills and products available. After seeing the green wood workers master craft programme, Wood Troll said people won't pay 600pounds for a chair. I disagree. When I had money I definately would have bought one or two of these chairs as they are beautiful in themselves and useful and can be passed down the generations. I have furniture that is old and would like to think I could add to the stock! But when I was buying only the classic names were promoted.

So I think setting up guilds or so where customers can go to to find the products is as important as the training. And not just sold as art work (with the added mark up!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Wood 26th March 2010, 11:03 am

That's a good point Zoe marketing is important though I think the way forward is helping folk with direct marketing via websites etc. The story of how a thing was made, who made it and where the raw materials came from are important, the food industry have done this very well with locally sourced specialty foods becoming much easier to source and people willing to pay.
Robin Wood

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th March 2010, 11:30 am

Yes I suppose that most people walk into a department store (or worse) to buy a chair. Dear John Lewis would want a mark up of in the least 100%....direct is the only way!

Saying that knowing the cutlery makers were in Sheffield also helped. This could be done vitually now I suppose. The bowl makers corner..The green chair grove...

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 26th March 2010, 11:39 am

Vastly important, I think, to differentiate craft from art.

One thing that turned me off from weaving was the Guildswomans sniffy dismissal for a beautiful practical piece as "oh we've seen this kind of thing before" and only seeming to value Trefs work as art and as an example of skill that would appeal to other weavers, rather than as a practical piece of craft.

Similarly I know people who will buy a beautiful handcrafted work and treat it like art rather than use it, because it costs so much, they are worried about damaging what should be a practical item.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th March 2010, 3:53 pm

Well put Badger. I love owning and using things that people have made...individuals that I know. Luckily I've had a cabinet maker and joiner in the family and now Wood Troll but that's the main route, family. I would buy hand made shawles and socks and hats and wear them with pride if I could get them from friends/community.

Also we have seen some pretty bad workmanship passed off as art...a crafts person would not have let it out of his workshop!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down