A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 7 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 2nd June 2011, 7:18 pm

We emptied the first potato growing bag because the foliage was going a bit yellow - a couple of pounds of Swift, which are very smooth and delicious. We're also harvesting lettuce and kohl rabi (I learnt a lesson last year and am not leaving it too long to go woody). We've also had the first two strawberries with some cream, meringue and bananas to make them go a bit further!

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by MrsC 2nd June 2011, 8:25 pm

It's wonderful to be able to post in here! Strawberries and mange tout today. Been harvesting salad for a good few weeks now too.

May have some potatoes nearly ready, but this is only my second year growing them and I have to say that I'm not sure I remember at what stage I'm supposed to do that Embarassed

Mrs C x
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd June 2011, 9:37 pm

Splendid, MrsC. We had strawberries tonight - I haven't investigated the spuds yet.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 2nd June 2011, 9:38 pm

MrsC wrote:It's wonderful to be able to post in here! Strawberries and mange tout today. Been harvesting salad for a good few weeks now too.

May have some potatoes nearly ready, but this is only my second year growing them and I have to say that I'm not sure I remember at what stage I'm supposed to do that Embarassed

Mrs C x

Hurrah!

Mrs C, with spuds, if in doubt, have a careful ferret about in the soil around the haulm, and see what you find. If they are all tiny, leave them a bit longer.

Earlies are usually ready about now ish, onwards but ONLY if planted out end March - ish ( sorry, it isn't a very precise art!)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 5th June 2011, 7:59 pm

I've just picked our first strawberries. Not one of our crop has been nibbled yet! Last year we lost a lot to someone else who likes strawberries

We forgot to plant our potatoes - they are sitting here near me as I type. They got left in the shopping bag - but chitted! Am thinking of plantingthem anyway. The potato bags are sitting empty.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 5th June 2011, 8:22 pm

I have just planted some sprouting earlies ( I had some left over from the 400 seed spuds...) so why not? If you don't plant thnem, they will certainly NOT grow...but if you do, they might give you a few nice spuds....

I have just eaten some gourmet baby broad beans..yummy, tiny, tender, mmmmm

along with new potatoes, and courgettes...yummy yummy....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 5th June 2011, 9:08 pm

Just eaten the strawberries - 5 each. They were SO SWEET Very Happy
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 5th June 2011, 10:33 pm

We had lettuce thinings,carrot thinings, spring onions,radish which was nice.

best of all, my green veg today was small fresh broad beans, very yummy.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 6th June 2011, 5:00 pm

Emptied number 2 supermarket black flower bucket today, 14 ozs of nice new potatos, makes me wonder what I will get from the dustbin which is still nice & green.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th June 2011, 10:41 pm

I've just finished shelling broad beans for the freezer whilst watching Springwatch on iplayer. Living room now smells strongly of broad beans. Strawberries are coming good this year too.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 6th June 2011, 11:10 pm

I have permenantly blackened, inrgained fingers and thumbs, from Broad bean shelling, pinching out Tomato side shoots and scraping new spuds.

I was at a meeting tonight where the other women had lovely hands and nails..I felt a tad ashamed of mine..... Crying or Very sad
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th June 2011, 8:29 pm

...a bit like I felt when I went to the doctors last week with hamstring trouble. He asked me to get up on the bed so he could look at my leg and knee: I took my sandals off as requested, and realised that my feet were BLACK from working in the garden. It didn't take the doctor long to decide why I was having problems - he put it down to too much gardening!
Anyway, I think we should be proud of artisan hands and feet. We'd have been OK in the French revolution; not a hint of the aristocrat about us!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 7th June 2011, 9:27 pm

more salad leaves.

Had to buy strawberries though Crying or Very sad
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th June 2011, 9:32 pm

Broad beans and Mangetout for diner and strawberries to follow Very Happy

My fingers are also black, from a mix of broad bean shelling, and ingrained dirt from sprucing up an old spokeshave this afternoon. Definitely more artisan than aristocrat !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th June 2011, 10:43 pm

Harvested a monster cos lettuce today - washed it to have handy for packed lunches etc, and it filled two large plastic containers bigger than lunchboxes, and there was enough over to feed the guinea pig. Kohl rabi and strawberries also being harvested (may have time in the morning to pick strawberries to put with my shredded wheat!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th June 2011, 11:03 pm

I LIKE the idea my hands are artisan, rather than just grubby and ugly....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 16th June 2011, 10:39 am

Harvested the first ripe tomato from the polytunnel, yesterday evening. It was a Latah - so they are an early variety!

I normally eat the first ripe one about July 12 th!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th June 2011, 10:49 am

Ok, you beat me CW. None of mine are quite ripe yet, though I don't have any really early varieties this time. We seem to have had a tricky one this year - heat and drought when stuff should be growing, with cloud and rain arriving just when stuff should be ripening Rolling Eyes
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th June 2011, 10:10 pm

Harvested the first peas which I made a lemon and pea risotto with. Lettuce from the garden for salad to go with it (everything else came from the shops - my avocado growing skills need sharpening up!). Then we had a pavlova made with eggs and strawberries from the garden. Should have been a lovely meal but the phone kept ringing, including a call about an emerging family problem, so it wasn't as relaxing as it should have been...
But I did make some tayberry conserve for breakfast. With the dire weather forecast for the next few days I wanted to pick anything which looked remotely ripe today.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 18th June 2011, 10:06 am

Got the last of the Broadies for lunch, I shall miss them! Also got a load of strawbs, rasps, and blackcurrants.. I am gonna over dose on vitamin C at this rate.. Cool
Onions have fallen over so if the rain lets up I shall tie and hang them, I really don't want them to rot in the open ground... Neutral
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 18th June 2011, 4:21 pm

Emptied another black flower bucket & got just over 15ozs out of it. Was very pleased with that. One more bucket to go & then the dustbin.

Also picked some lettuce, carrot thinings, spring onions & radish

I noticed the tayberries are just about ready & will be eating them soon, also a lovely gerkin to start the pickling.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 19th June 2011, 7:30 pm

Tayberries, Blackcurrants and Redcurrants.

Also potatoes and lettuce.

More varieties of tomato nearly ready to eat. Cool
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 20th June 2011, 6:52 am

Had 5 lovely big juicy tayberries.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 24th June 2011, 11:24 am

Another bucket potatos dug up, just over a pound, so really well pleased with the results.

Now on to an experiment, when we went away I left a bag & a half of pots in the veggie box, & they chitted wonderfully Laughing so I am planting some of them to see how many I get to the bucket, should be interesting.

I also have my big dustbin to dig up soon.

Also managed to bottom to top about 1/3 of the compost bin, so that was a job well done. Still some ants in there, but put some water in & some wet bits as well, so hopefully they will run away.

Lots of weeding & clearing up as well.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th June 2011, 11:49 am

My tomato Yellow perfection are finally living up to their name ! Harbinger and Royale des Guineaux are on the turn too. But, despite all that early sun, it will not be a particularly early crop for me - I have had them ready 15 June in good years.

Outdoor cucumbers looking good for picking at the weekend.

Row of peas obviously looked very good to a muntjac, it has harvested half of them for me Sad

Big wildlife problems this year; garden full of sparrows (and I mean full !) eating the mangetout. Nearby building work at the lotty has forced all the wildlife onto our plots, and they are eating everything not nettted. And only wire netting seems up to the job stopping them ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th June 2011, 8:33 pm

A good haul today; new potatoes (Maris Bard), overwintered onions and garlic lifted, and blackcurrants picked before the birds get them !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next