A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 19th August 2016, 4:42 pm

I really rate Rose de Berne, lovely size, colour and flavour.

My tomatoes are in a bit of a lull after we picked off loads before heading to Cornwall. We did get some big Red Pear though earlier this week to make Greek style stuffed peppers and tomatoes. Last night at the allotment I picked another 2lb of purple teepee beans. A 4-5' row seems to produce that many about every two weeks. I have again cooked them to Madhur Jaffery's
spicy green beans recipe, which freezes much better than the raw beans and is my favourite curry side dish. They are cooked with lots of garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, dried red chilli and tomato. I freeze them mostly cooked, and freshen them up on re-heating with ground roasted cumin and a squirt of lemon. Interestingly, though the purple of the beans fades on cooking, it imparts a wine dark red colour to the tomato sauce, which I rather like.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 19th August 2016, 7:44 pm

Amazingly another bowlful of gorgeous strawberries. It's Mr P's birthday tomorrow so I made strawberry tarts which are one of his favourites. I've still got enough left for something else. They have been producing almost non stop since the end of May.
Harvested my last sweetcorn cob. I have had 8 good ones from 11 plants and some small partially pollinated ones. None of the later ones to form got pollinated. I may have been a bit overzealous with my shaking early on because there was no pollen left or does that happen anyway. They weren't wasted because the pigs love them. As it was my first attempt at sweetcorn I'm pleased with the result.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th August 2016, 5:35 pm

CH - do you grow Rose de Berners-Lee outside or in the greenhouse? I only ever tried them once, but all the plants succumbed to blight before any usable fruit. They were outside.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th August 2016, 3:05 pm

64 lbs of honey. I haven't finished harvesting yet but made a start this morning. It's not one of my favourite jobs but the result is one of my favourite things. It looks as though the season isn't going to be as much of a wash out as expected.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th August 2016, 5:32 pm

Ploshkin wrote:64 lbs of honey.  I haven't finished harvesting yet but made a start this morning.  It's not one of my favourite jobs but the result is one of my favourite things.  It looks as though the season isn't going to be as much of a wash out as expected.

That's an amazing yield!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th August 2016, 7:54 pm

Actually, Dandelion, it's a mediocre yield. I would expect 80 - 100 lbs from 4 hives. I do still have some more boxes to come off but they could be empty (or full).
I'm just cooking my first Mr Fearns beans of the year - they really are a good, reliable variety.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th August 2016, 7:56 pm

Well, to a non-beekeeper it sounded like a lot!! If you picked 64lb of runner beans you would be wondering what on earth you were going to do with them all!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th August 2016, 3:26 pm

At last, my Roma tomatoes are ripening. Picked first one today.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th August 2016, 11:57 am

I need to up my preserving game. I've come back from the polytunnel with 16 tomatoes the size of oranges (Marglobe and Ruby). It's not a problem I've encountered previously.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th August 2016, 12:44 pm

You might consider one of these:

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/PASSATA_MACHINE_BY_RIGAMONTI_OF_LECCO/p1834925_15092652.aspx

We put a few pounds of San Marzano's through ours yesterday. Works a treat, and you can get small children to crank it, if available. Ours has grown out of that now Neutral

The freezer is now full of bags of passata and Madhur Jaffery style spicy green beans. Had to oust the cool bag freezer blocks - any more and we may have to evict the vacuvin wine cooler jackets Shocked
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th August 2016, 12:49 pm

CH - you may have missed seeing this further up the page. Do you grow Rose de Berners-Lee outside or in the greenhouse? I only ever tried them once, but all the plants succumbed to blight before any usable fruit. They were outside.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th August 2016, 1:03 pm

Ah, sorry. Been away on hols, I did see it and meant to reply, yes, under glass. All my tomatoes are under glass now, they always get blighted otherwise. I used to be able to get away with pots/baskets of cherry toms on the patio, but even they seem to fail now.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th August 2016, 4:16 pm

Beans, beans and more beans. Now that it's only Mr D and myself, I must grow fewer plants. 20 tomatoes and 15 bean plants of different sorts is really too many for two people (although our youngest does like to have a stroll round the garden collecting fruit and veg to take back to her new flat when she visits, which is lovely!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 13th September 2016, 2:42 pm

In case any of you think I am delusional and that my everlasting strawberries are a figment of my imagination, this is what I picked on Saturday. I have picked about the same again this morning. The plants were runners pegged down last year and grown in 4 self watering hanging baskets in the polytunnel. I had my first major pick in the last week of May and after a short rest they have continued to crop continuously. Problem is that they have produced no runners at all this year so I will have to use the same plants next season.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 P1010910

I also picked 8 lbs of whopping tomatoes this morning, some of them weighing 1/2 lb. Earlier on they were a bit lacking in flavour but now they are fantastic. (Growing bigger tomatoes with a taste was one of my main reasons for wanting to try a polytunnel). They are particularly good cut horizontally into thick slices and grilled. I've also picked my very first, really good, undamaged sweet peppers. They've managed to get to about tennis ball size which is a tennis ball more than I have ever managed before. I've had most of my Victoria plums too now except for those I can't reach - I'm waiting for them to drop off. I've got a big boxful cut up in the freezer ready for plum and russet mincemeat (gorgeous) when the russets appear in the shops.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th September 2016, 9:25 pm

So what exactly are self-watering hanging baskets? And the variety of strawberry? Think I would like to have a go at that next year.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th September 2016, 9:39 pm

freebird wrote:So what exactly are self-watering hanging baskets? And the variety of strawberry? Think I would like to have a go at that next year.

Me too!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th September 2016, 12:05 pm

The hanging baskets are https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stewart-Corinthian-Hanging-Basket-Green/dp/B005DLCHXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473850472&sr=8-1&keywords=stewart+corinthian+hanging+basket+-+green+round+31.5+cm
I hope that that link doesn't come out as long as it looks.
They have a 2 litre reservoir which is filled by a tube that sticks out the top (I use a small funnel). The 'false bottom' that the compost sits on has a layer of capillary matting with a tongue that hangs down into the water. I have had 3 of these for 20 years and when I empty them out I cut a new piece of matting to fit. The old ones are just as good as when they were new, they haven't gone brittle and they have spent each winter outside when they have had strawberry plants in them. I bought 4 new ones for the tunnel and was pleased to see that the quality appears to be just as good. The are not expensive either. I find that the reservoir can last up to a week but in the polytunnel when there has been sun all day it will last about 3 days.

The strawberries are Mara De Bois. When I first got them 3 years ago they weren't very easy to come by but they are now readily available. They are everbearers so they crop throughout the season rather than having one big flush (though this year they have surpassed all previous cropping in the greenhouse). I have 5 plants in each basket.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th September 2016, 4:50 pm

That's a good recommendation Ploshkin - will put on my list of 'new things to try in the garden next year'!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th September 2016, 4:57 pm

An advantage of growing strawberries in baskets is that you can move them outdoors or under cover depending on how the season goes. As I said, I always winter them outside but you can choose how early to bring them in to kick start them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 14th September 2016, 7:55 pm

Thanks for that Ploshkin. I think I will get some of those baskets and try a few of that variety of strawberry too. I currently have one in the ground that I bought in a hanging basket - forget the variety but has bright pink flowers. It's giving a few berries now, so perhaps it's an ever bearer too.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th September 2016, 11:17 am

Very impressed by the strawberries.

I spotted yesterday that as a compensation for the very wet start to the year that meant my carrots never got sowed, my quince tree looks to have a few quinces on it this year. Pork casserolled with quince .... mmm.

We are still in a bean crisis here, we can't eat them all ! The freezer is full of beans, peas and passata, so at least some sucess this year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th September 2016, 1:26 pm

Still more strawberries and zillions of fabulous Mr Fearn's beans. Tomatoes are coming to a conclusion in the polytunnel but I have let the sungolds and black cherries ramble across the crop bars and they look set to produce for a while yet. This is my polytunnel squash harvest (minus a few that I have used or given away). Orange ones are Uchiki Kuri and the others are Sweet Dumpling. I'm hoping that they will store ok. I have a prison van that I use to store beehive parts and I am trying the squashes in one of the storage cupboards in there. Its frost free, nice and dry and ventilated so fingers crossed.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 P1010911
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th September 2016, 2:07 pm

I remember reading somewhere that squashes store well in a warm place, and so stored mine on top of the eye-level cupboards in the kitchen. It worked well enough, they keep well into the winter. But when a pumpkin gets forgotten until spring and exudes putrid pumpkin juice into the cupboards, it is not pleasant to clean up Embarassed

That looks like a good barrow full. I have grown both of those at some point. Uchiki Kuri is qute a good flavour, I seem to remember. The Sweet dumpling were good roasted a little then filled with beef chilli, topped off with cheese and baked ...

I have harvested my pumpkins, they are the only things i have had stolen from the allotment in past years. I got only 2, but one is very big, I guess a good 18". I have a few butternuts left to harvest, they seem to attract less attention from the low life so can stay on the plant a bit longer.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th September 2016, 7:38 pm

Ploshkin wrote: I have a prison van that I use to store beehive parts and I am trying the squashes in one of the storage cupboards in there.  Its frost free, nice and dry and ventilated so fingers crossed.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 P1010911

You can't say something like that without elaborating...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 29th September 2016, 6:18 pm

You can't say something like that without elaborating...
I suppose that does sound a bit strange. Mr P buys old lorries, trailers, horseboxes and whatever else takes his fancy. He breaks them up & sells bits for export and the rest for scrap. He came across an ex prison van and got it for someone who wanted it for storage but they never came up with the cash so I appropriated it (minus the cab and chassis) and had it installed next to my beehives. It has 4 cells, each one 2'6" x 2' which are perfect for stacking hive parts which are 18" square. It also has 2 floor to ceiling storage cupboards 2' deep plus other nooks and crannies. It's bee proof, damp free and ventilated so no condensation. The only problem I've had is getting the seats out of the cells as they are designed to be vandal and removal proof.
What are you harvesting today? - Page 28 P1010610
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th September 2016, 8:44 pm

Amazing!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next