A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 37 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 37 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 23rd November 2017, 4:22 pm

Isn't it weird? - mine won't eat raspberries at all!!

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 37 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by FloBear 23rd November 2017, 4:27 pm

Very weird. These girls won't eat cherry tomatoes yet my other girls loved them!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th November 2017, 12:48 pm

No chance of me giving away raspberries to chickens!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th November 2017, 10:11 pm

freebird wrote:No chance of me giving away raspberries to chickens!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I don't have lots to spare - it's just when there's an odd one or two which are ripe, not worth carrying down to the house. I eat them myself now!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

I picked my first Brussel sprouts this week. They're very tasty but not as big as I expected them to be in comparison with my other brassicas which are all in the bed that had copious amounts of muck last year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th December 2017, 2:20 pm

More salad leaves from coldframes, 3 strawberries from greenhouse, also 16 peppers ranging in size from golf ball to large tennis ball, many of which were almost ripe.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th December 2017, 3:35 pm

Yesterday for Christmas dinner I had carrots, sprouts and red cabbage from my exceedingly soggy garden to accompany a home reared chicken.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th December 2017, 8:47 am

Yesterday's strawberries may have been red but had absolutely no flavour. Think I will cut off any new developing ones to give the plants a rest.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th December 2017, 9:04 am

I always cut back the foliage and chuck the baskets outside for the winter.  They like a good bit of cold and frost - that's why Scotland is one of the major strawberry growing areas in the UK.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th December 2017, 8:06 pm

Oh ok. Thanks for that Ploshkin.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 6th January 2018, 11:50 pm

I am still harvesting carrots, of which I have a good crop. There are still parsnips and kale.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 7th January 2018, 11:46 am

Hello frankbeswick. I can see you're a long-time member but as I'm relatively new I'd like to ask if you grow under cover, in raised beds, no-dig, allotment or what?
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 7th January 2018, 12:47 pm

I have two allotment plots near where I live in North West England, an established one and a new one that I am in process of getting ready. I use a combination of ordinary beds, raised beds and greenhouses [glasshouses.]

In the raised beds I grow peas, carrots, parsnips, and on the new plot,on which I have put larged raised beds, I will grow onions, potatoes, and brassicas. On the ordinary beds I grow onions, leeks, potatoes,salads and brassicas. I grow rhubarb, apples, plums and have just planted some dwarf pears. I grew no beans last year, but will grow them this year,planting at the end of May after the threat of frost has gone.I grew pumpkins, but am swapping over to butternut squash.

In the greenhouses I grow tomatoes and peppers.

I am thinking of turning the rear of the new plot to soft fruit.

If you have any further questions, just ask.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 7th January 2018, 12:49 pm

I forgot to say, I use minimum digging, but reject total non-dig as I think that some digging is necessary at times. Nothing is completely banned, but some things are preferred.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th January 2018, 1:38 pm

I'm harvesting carrots from the garden which I am sharing with the slugs.  I also have carrots in the polytunnel which are pristine.  I have Savoy cabbages with very slimy outers but the middles are  still ok and Brussel sprouts that I seem to also be sharing with the wildlife.
I do seem to have cracked the winter squash storage.  I have 3 tall, upright fridges and freezers in the boiler shed.  I put newspaper on top and spread the squashes out on the paper.  So far every one I have used has been perfect.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 7th January 2018, 1:59 pm

I have two dwarf pear trees, frank, about three years old, I think. I shall be interested to hear how yours get on. The Comice flowered prolifically this year and I let about 6 fruit remain. They took ages to even think about ripening and eventually, in October, I picked one to take indoors. After three weeks it hadn't progressed much. We then had a very blustery night which must have blown the other fruit down and, by the time I realised what had happened, the local wildlife had carried them off!
I am also very interested in Butternut squash and it looks as if you and Ploshkin will be able to give tips!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th January 2018, 3:21 pm

My butternut squash are mostly still good - a couple succumbing to rot at the stalk end, but have plans to use them in soup before they get any worse. This is my first year growing squash, and opted to store them in my calligraphy studio, which just has frost-protection level of heating.

Still completely delighted by my fresh salad leaves, having gathered more today.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 7th January 2018, 3:27 pm

Sounds as if I'll have plenty of B.Squash expertise to call on!
Glad the leaves are a success, freebird.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th January 2018, 5:56 pm

I thought the trick to storing squash was to get the skin cured well. Harvest them fully ripe, leave in the sun or a warm place for the skin to harden. Then I line them up along the top of the kitchen cupboards - they don't need to be kept cool. Pumpkins don't store so long like this, but butternuts last get well - we've only just started using ours.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick 7th January 2018, 9:29 pm

My dwarf pears only were planted this season, so there is little yet to report. As for my expertise with squash, I have been taking some storage ideas from Ploshkin! That's the great thing about horticulture, you can always learn something more from someone.
frankbeswick
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th January 2018, 10:18 pm

The only thing I harvested this week was some swedes, which were an utter disgrace. I think it was because last year was so dry here, and even though they were watered a couple of times a week, they must have needed more. Just to give you an idea - six swedes produced enough swede mash for two of us!! They were small, pathetic and not very round; more like carrots Mad
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th February 2018, 2:16 pm

Today more salad leaves from the cold frames. I notice that, despite the cold, the plants are starting to grow away more strongly - I presume this is in response to the increasing day length. These are one of the most worthwhile crops I have ever grown. Freshly picked salad leaves at this time of year seems nothing short of miraculous.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th February 2018, 2:34 pm

Remind me what you grew, Freebird?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th February 2018, 4:58 pm

Spinach (a winter hardy variety), endive, land cress, lambs lettuce, salad rocket and claytonia. The winter hardy lettuce failed to germinate three times. I also have a salad burnet plant which is pretty much evergreen, and adds a nice cucumber flavour to the mix.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th February 2018, 7:34 pm

That sounds like a good mix. I've only eaten salad burnet and rocket - what do the others taste like?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th February 2018, 8:08 pm

Land cress is very, very peppery and I don't much like it on its own, but a little is good in the mix. I have grown far too much of it (each variety had 1/2 cold frame, about 2 ft square). Next time I will just grow a 2 ft row.

Lambs lettuce is very mild, spinach is well, spinach. Claytonia is faintly peppery

Endive probably has a stronger flavour as it matures - they may be bitter. I think they needed to be sown earlier than September as they are very small. The leaves of my variety are pale yellow-green, so look pretty in the mix.

They are all harvested as baby or medium sized leaves.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next