A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae? Hca_button

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

4 posters

Go down

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae? Empty Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

Post by BertieFox 4th January 2011, 2:11 pm

We have a spring with a fairly small flow, a gallon or so every few minutes, which runs into a small stream. I've have made a pond by damming this to make an area about eight feet by four or five. As the water is very clean and pure (we drink it as our household supply) I thought it would be ideal for a decorative pond with water lilies and so on.
However, as soon as summer arrives, the pond fills up with thick choking pond weed and algae. Even pulling it out on a weekly basis it seems to grow back as quickly as we do this.
Water lilies survive but never thrive as they can't compete.
There is a through-put as the water flows out at the bottom end.
Watercress grows very successfully in the stream bed.
The one thing I have noticed is that the water leaves a red deposit on stones and the banks, which I guess is iron. The water here is very hard as we are in a limestone area.
Is there anything I can do about this, or would I be better off simply creating a stagnant pond instead (which I can fill with stream water)?
We've had the water tested and nitrate levels are supposed to be well below any danger limits.
BertieFox
BertieFox

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae? Empty Re: Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

Post by Sparhawk 4th January 2011, 10:26 pm

Excess algae is often caused by too many nutrients in the water, is it possible to put a load of barley straw across the input end, we get our barly straw from the pets corner in the local cheapie shop, if you could stuff it into a net bag & lay it across the in end so that the water filters through it, after about six weeks the straw begins to break down & releases a natural substance that breaks down algae...

The other thing is to provide some shade to stop the sun getting to it, but water lillies do this when they grow so hopefully, reducing the amount of algae with the straw will allow the lillies to flourish...

Even after all this nature still needs an occasional hand & standing twizzling a bamboo cane in a pond to take out algae blooms can be very relaxing.... Smile
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae? Empty Re: Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae?

Post by Lottie 6th January 2011, 10:51 am

I do that with mine, Spar, works a treat Very Happy I shove the straw in an old stocking... recylcing.. Cool Laughing Wink
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Why is my pond/stream always full of thick pond weed/algae? Empty Barley Straw in streams

Post by BertieFox 6th January 2011, 11:46 am

I can see that this solution (barley straw) works in ponds as there is an interaction between the water and the straw. Some people say it produces peroxide (Iowa State University included), others that it merely attracts algae and filters it out of the water.
I guess in a stream with a constant throughput of water I'd need to replace the barley straw fairly often, but it's worth giving it a go by putting a barley straw 'filter' over the input.
Ah well, it will soon be summer and I can give it a try!
BertieFox
BertieFox

http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 6th January 2011, 2:50 pm

The red might be algae also.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 6th January 2011, 5:20 pm

BertieFox wrote:I can see that this solution (barley straw) works in ponds as there is an interaction between the water and the straw. Some people say it produces peroxide (Iowa State University included), others that it merely attracts algae and filters it out of the water.
I guess in a stream with a constant throughput of water I'd need to replace the barley straw fairly often, but it's worth giving it a go by putting a barley straw 'filter' over the input.
Ah well, it will soon be summer and I can give it a try!

Even if it reduces it to a managable level to allow other things to take over, I must admit I have only used it in pond settings, but it is what I would try & it won't cause harm, infact the barley straw does create a small habitat of its own... Smile
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 10th January 2011, 4:05 am

The water lily doesn't like flowing water so that may be a reason it hasn't grown strongly. Can you tuck it into a becalmed area? (Also coypu love the roots)
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down