A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Unintentional pond Hca_button

Unintentional pond

2 posters

Go down

Unintentional pond Empty Unintentional pond

Post by Ploshkin 23rd July 2013, 9:16 am

Back at the beginning of the year my dearly beloved dug a big hole behind the sheep shed, mainly an excuse to play with the JCB but also as a reservoir for an emergency water supply in case the supply to the shed froze while the sheep were housed.  When the frogs arrived to spawn in the ditch, as they always do, they took advantage of the hole as well & despite being frozen several times we ended up with thousands of tadpoles.
It occurred to me that in my several decades on this earth I had never actually seen a tadpole grow its legs - the ones in jam jars in school never got to that stage, poor things.  So, I have been observing the tadpoles at regular intervals & watched their legs forming & seen some coming out of the water, still with the remains of their tails.  It's really lovely to see tiny frogs about the size of a 5p & brilliant to see something for the first time.
But what I have found is that we have inadvertently acquired the most wonderful wildlife pond.  While watching the tadpoles I have seen pond skaters, whirligig beetles, water boatmen (I just love their little flippers) and best of all palmate newts.  There are at least 6 newts, male & female.  I now have a newt watching session every day if I have the time (who wants to hoover or clean the shower anyway) & they have now knocked toads off my favourite thing spot.  There have been several days of large red damselflies courting & the other day I watched a stunning dragonfly dipping its tail in the water to lay eggs.  There are loads of other buzzing things too that are too fast to identify but I did see 2 skipper butterflies that I have never seen before.
The great thing is that in all this hot weather, with no rain for a few weeks, the water has maintained its level even though the ditch is completely dry (it's dug in blue clay) & oddly, the water level was actually higher one morning when there had been no rain.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Unintentional pond Empty Re: Unintentional pond

Post by Dandelion 23rd July 2013, 8:29 pm

Will you make a feature of it now, P? How brilliant that it doesn't dry out. I've been re-filling my tiny wildlfe pond for the water butts, but when that ran out I've had to run tap water into a bucket and leave it for 24 hours before filling the pond. We have two resident frogs who are quite happy to sit and watch me - they seemed to enjoy being under the torrent of water from the bucket. Would love to have newts though...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th July 2013, 10:00 am

It's not really in a suitable place to become a feature, Dandelion, but it seems to be getting on very well under its own natural steam so I will just leave it carry on. However, the place where it is will shortly be fenced off because of moving a gate & I am eyeing up the bit next to the pond as a potential site for a polytunnel.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th July 2014, 11:39 am

I thought I would resurrect this thread from about this time last year.
Usually I see just one or two dragonflies around the garden but this year I have seen many more - possibly the result of the egg laying I witnessed last year.  The pond is quite different this year.  It started the season black with tadpoles but the majority of them seemed to disappear quite quickly.  I then notices a number of scorpion like things coming up to the surface & after a lot of searching found that they were the larvae of the Great Diving Beetle & they are predatory.  They disappeared a couple of weeks ago (apparently they go on to the land to pupate) but yesterday I saw an adult Great Diving Beetle, nearly 2" long & 1" across with little flippers, quite a sight.  There are still surviving tadpoles growing legs & I have also seen newts again but the water is a bit murkier this year with algae so I can't see down to the bottom.  Last year I saw just a couple of Greater Water Boatmen at the end of the season but loads of the smaller variety, this year it's the other way round.  It's fascinating watching nature take something over.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down