A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 19 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 22nd September 2020, 10:14 pm

I have no idea Dandelion. I've had a decent crop only 3 or 4 times in 20 years. Mostly it will germinate just fine then just sit there and hardly grow at all. This year I had some seedlings given to me that I put in the garden and I sowed some seed that I bought in the polytunnel to fill the space when i took something out. They have all done well.

Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 22nd September 2020, 10:32 pm

Came home from the allotment today with runner beans, some late ripening sweet corn, courgettes, raspberries and my first romanesco head. Rather small and a bit loose, but perfectly edible. I have another on the way, so will hold on to the first until it's ready.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th September 2020, 4:29 pm

I want to try romanesco again next year - hopefully some will germinate!
But we have purple sprouting now ready, from the seeds sent by Ploshkin a couple of years ago. I tried to get some more from Thompson and Morgan (I think that's who produced them) but they seem to have discontinued the summer/early autumn variety. So I'll try the later variety next year.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th September 2020, 5:13 pm

I picked a tub of cucamelons (melothrie) this morning. They're brining ready for pickling. I've never had them before but like to try something different. The seedlings were tiny and only one survived but that was a good thing really because they might have taken over the polytunnel if I'd had more than one plant.

I'm using sweet peppers now, probably one of my best crops ever and still have a couple of melons to go. I cut back the cucumber plant to some sprouting joints, fed it and I'm getting some more nice cucumbers.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th September 2020, 2:55 pm

Ploshkin wrote:I picked a tub of cucamelons (melothrie) this morning.  They're brining ready for pickling.  I've never had them before but like to try something different.  The seedlings were tiny and only one survived but that was a good thing really because they might have taken over the polytunnel if I'd had more than one plant.

So will they be like little gherkins when pickled?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th September 2020, 3:31 pm

They're odd. They have the texture of a cucumber but a citrusy taste. They have smooth skins and are very pretty, about the size of small grapes. I probably won't grow them again but just wanted to try something different
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 28th September 2020, 5:12 pm

I am in the process of making a jelly from Apple, Quince and 7 pot yellow chillies. And a hot sauce from Fatali chillies and red carrots.

Other things are pretty much all over. red cabbage to come, some more drying beans, and about 13 huge butternut squashes. Leeks look worryingly poor this year, I hope they don't have allium leaf miner again Crying or Very sad
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th September 2020, 10:46 pm

A visit to the allotment this afternoon showed that the remaining sweetcorn, runner beans and courgettes all succumbed to the bitingly low temperatures combined with strongish wind on Saturday. I'm disappointed the season is over so suddenly and early, though managed to salvage the last few beans and corn cobs which were just about ripe enough.

Next year I shall try to ensure I have some protection over the courgettes from early September - it may just extend their season by a few weeks.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd October 2020, 9:55 pm

That's disappointing FB.
The weather has been affecting things here too, with the storm we're in the middle of - summer has come to an abrupt end. I still have a few tomatoes soldiering on the greenhouse, but I have been keeping the greenhouse door open during the day for the hens to shelter out of the rain in. The carpet tile pathway I put down in the greenhouse when we first bought it really is going to need replacing after the hens have ...errr...BEEN on it!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd October 2020, 9:57 pm

I have been harvesting kale. Earlier this year I tried an Italian recipe for kale and cannellini bean soup (I think I may have said) but the supermarket kale was really tough. I made it again last week using kale from the garden and it was a much better result. Admittedly there were quite a few tiny holes in the leaves of the kale, but chopped finely they weren't noticeable!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th October 2020, 10:39 am

The absolute stars of my garden this year (which has been generally mediocre to poor) have been the Autumn raspberries. Yesterday, after 4 days of continuous heavy rain with not a moment of sun, I picked 12oz of huge, ripe, tasty raspberries. I pick every couple of days so that they don't get pinched by birds or mice and I have several filled ice cream containers in the freezer.
The other star this year has been cucumbers, I cut the plants right back and gave them a feed a few weeks ago and I am still harvesting them.
I had just about the last of my big tomatoes yesterday too. Apart from Sungold, they've been exceptionally poor this year but I picked the last few green so that I could have fried green tomatoes. I'm sure that GB is familiar with them but if you haven't tried them they are delicious (if a bit of a faff to do). I've just finished them off cold for breakfast, I actually prefer them cold.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th October 2020, 9:52 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
I had just about the last of my big tomatoes yesterday too.  Apart from Sungold, they've been exceptionally poor this year but I picked the last few green so that I could have fried green tomatoes.  I'm sure that GB is familiar with them but if you haven't tried them they are delicious (if a bit of a faff to do).  I've just finished them off cold for breakfast, I actually prefer them cold.  

I love the book and the film, so I really should try the tomatoes!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th October 2020, 3:15 pm

Butternut squash ! Here are some of them drying after I washed the mud off:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 20201010

The front right one is 6lb 12oz. The front left one the scales just said "Err" !

Also florence fennel, beans, red oinions, carrots and red cabbage.

The house smells of quince, Mrs C-H is making quince jelly with some we picked this morning. When she's done in the kitchen I'll start making hot sauce.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 11th October 2020, 4:09 pm

Wow CH you've got a fair crop there. I hope they store well. I had 15 from 2 plants in the polytunnel but nowhere near as big as those.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th October 2020, 5:03 pm

Ha ha - my butternut squash plants were completely useless! They just didn't grow and were half dead so I pulled them up. Ever hopeful for next year...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 11th October 2020, 9:46 pm

Nothing here either, though I did get four Sweet Dumpling squashes - my own saved seed, with the original seed from our seed swap.

Will try again next season with varieties better suited to our shorter season and cooler conditions.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th October 2020, 5:28 pm

This came from the allotment this morning.

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 20201010
freebird
freebird

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th October 2020, 10:26 pm

Wow!!! Shocked
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th October 2020, 7:50 am

Gosh, that's good. I've never grown parsnips without canker here.
I have just had my final melon from the polytunnel (not quite as sweet as the summer ones) and I also had another cucumber yesterday.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th October 2020, 10:17 am

I've had some good luck with Tender and True, but do rarely get a completely clean one. I seem to get some as weeds now, after an allotment neighbour sowed a load of stuff then left it all to go to seed. I can't fathom why people do that - do all the hard work, then disappear, but it's not the first time.

I finished off digging potatoes yesterday, they were left over earlies, but produced a fair crop from the 3 or 4 roots left. The odd pepper and chilli for pizza toppings. Most things are done now though.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 18th October 2020, 6:29 pm

I had hopes of some nice brassicas especially after I netted them and kept most of the white butterflies at bay. The leaves got going nicely and I was looking forward to finding out what kalette actually is as well as having some purple sprouting and some of those pointy yellow caulis. However, I see that the tops of most of the plants are covered with something grey - not sure if it's things moving about or stuff growing on them. Disappointed.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th October 2020, 9:01 pm

My brassicas have been largely useless this year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 19th October 2020, 6:45 pm

Our calabrese (bought in plants) has been fab, and only two days ago I harvested yet more side shoots. Pointy summer/autumn cabbages also good (also bought in) - the last of them is in the fridge. We've had a couple of small Romanesco caulis, and hoping for purple sprouting in due course - the plants look healthy enough.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th October 2020, 7:11 pm

My purple sprouting, from the seeds you gave me, sprouted ages ago when I didn't really want to use it.
I never seem to get my brassica timings right. I have a glut in the summer then nothing in the autumn when I want cabbagey things.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 20th October 2020, 9:05 am

Maybe you should be sowing the seed later, Ploshkin. There are early and later PS.

The PS I sowed in spring were the seedlings that nearly died in my over-hot conservatory. They were then static for weeks, with just a couple of true leaves. I took a punt on repotting them, and kept them in a shady, open coldframe. They eventually got big enough to plant out, which I did at the end of June/early July. They are big plants now, and hoping they may produce sprouts November time.

I sowed some more of the same seed after midsummer and those were planted out sometime in September. They are only about a foot high, but it's still warm enough for them to grow. However, if they sprout, it won't be until March or April.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st October 2020, 9:59 pm

I took the runner bean plants down this afternoon, and found some perfectly edible beans while I was doing it. I don't think I've ever eaten fresh runner beans this late in the year (but they didn't really get going until September Rolling Eyes )
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 30  Next