A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 11 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 28th June 2012, 6:59 pm

Oooh lovely.

I'll be inventing a broad bean and blackfly recipe soon (I suppose I could pretend they're poppy seeds...)

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 28th June 2012, 7:16 pm

Dandelion wrote:Oooh lovely.

I'll be inventing a broad bean and blackfly recipe soon (I suppose I could pretend they're poppy seeds...)

Tee hee - that puts me in mind of a game the man and I used to play called Ant or Chocolate.....
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th June 2012, 10:09 pm

Is that like 'truth or dare'??
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th June 2012, 10:37 pm

Not sure I ever played that. We play cribbage quite often and used to have a few squares of Green & Blacks chocolate at the same time. Breaking chocolate leaves 'crumbs' on the table which have to be dotted up with your finger. But one year we were having ant trouble, so there was always the danger of dotting up an ant instead of a chocolate crumb.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th June 2012, 1:33 pm

My broad beans are finished, save the ones in the freezer. I've cut them down in the hope that they might grow back to provide a second crop - it sometimes works.

The tomatoes are just starting; we've had the first couple, and another few yellow ones are just about ready. We are awash with strawberries - I don't know why they have done so well this year. Hoping that I will have pea "Linnet" to pick by Sunday; there's a lot of pods on that look like they will all come at once !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2012, 5:22 pm

My first tomato from the greenhouse, and a small handful of french beans, also from the greenhouse. More sugarsnap peas, a single strawberry, a goodly few raspberries, and a few broad beans. They are quite small pods this year and slow in coming - still an improvement on last year's zero crop, though.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd July 2012, 7:02 pm

I had my eye on a very nice looking pointed cabbage, which I was going to cook at the end of the week. But when I looked at the cabbage bed this morning before I went to work the cabbage had been half eaten by a slug (which I picked off and gave to the chickens - it made me feel better!). I salvaged the other half of the cabbage, evicted a couple more little slugs and shredded it for a stir fry tonight. A handful of little sweet peas (no, that's not what I meant - not flowers...) finished it off nicely. Am fed up with the slugs though.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th July 2012, 10:15 pm

Today I picked a couple of meals worth of petit pois "Linnet", a few tomatoes and another 3lb of strawberries. Not quite sure what to do with them - stockpile strawberry ice-cream ? Looks like the blackcurrants are soon to be picked for my annual tub of blackcurrant sorbet

Doesn't look like I'll be harvesting many squashes or beans for drying this year, unless we get a very nice autumn ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 5th July 2012, 8:30 am

Chilli-head wrote:Today I picked ... another 3lb of strawberries. Not quite sure what to do with them - stockpile strawberry ice-cream ?

Puree them for topping/sauce for cheesecake or other desserts. Dehydrate them if you have the wherewithall, as they take up far less space. Sell some to Wimbledon. Donate to the Freebird Benevolent Fund for Strawberryless Gardeners....
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th July 2012, 7:04 pm

Enough tayberries to eat with some meringues and cream, and somestrawberries, which mysteriously appeared in the meringues cut into small pieces. Wonder why that was?? whistle2
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 6th July 2012, 12:28 am

Cherries, lots and lots of cherries

What are you harvesting today? - Page 11 Photo_16
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th July 2012, 12:36 pm

Nice looking cherries; what will you make with them Adrian, or are they all for eating fresh ?

I dug my first new potatoes today. Well, I say dug. The came up with a "slurp" from the soggy mud. Two plants just about made a meal's worth. The end plant in the row is dying, looks very like pictures I've seen of aminopyralid damage, but is in fact simply because they are drowning ! I presume that means the maincrops will be full of slug holes.

Still got a few overwintered cabbages left too, will go nicely with the potatoes.

Making another batch of strawberry jam tonight; C-H jnr seems to like it on toast, so one jar is empty already.

Freebird - are your strawberries new this year ? Mine didn't do much in the first year, but have really got established well now, having followed Geoff Hamilton's advice to give them a severe haircut after they'd finished fruiting. I'd happily let you have some, but doubt they'd post well - and the supermarkets are practically giving them away too, so presumably it's not just me who has a surplus - trust them to do well in the sort of weather that means nobody buys them. Bet the growers are fed up !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 6th July 2012, 12:51 pm

Mostly going to be compote - just me here at the moment and I have already gorged on enough fresh cherries to make me poop like a trooper..

this lot was from one branch on one tree - the crows seem oblivious to them this year.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 6th July 2012, 7:13 pm

We have a lovely crop of strawberries
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th July 2012, 9:46 pm

Chilli-head wrote:I dug my first new potatoes today.

Freebird - are your strawberries new this year ? Mine didn't do much in the first year, but have really got established well now, having followed Geoff Hamilton's advice to give them a severe haircut after they'd finished fruiting.

I dug my first outdoor potatoes yesterday - not many from two plants, but quite large. The ground here is not too wet at all. If anything, a little drier than I would like.

No, sadly, the strawberries were new last year. I was looking forward to a fulsome crop, and there was plenty of flower. Some of the flowers didn't make fruit due to the cold, but plenty did. No, the fruits have been 'harvested' by a variety of garden creatures, mostly before they are properly ripe. Birds, slugs, snails and woodlice are the main culprits.

My sister who lives in Wales has, I have just found out, her strawberry plants in hanging baskets in the greenhouse. That seems like an idea worth trying.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th July 2012, 9:58 pm

I have my strawberries and blackcurrants under netting. I found some steel conduit in the garage when we moved in; I've bent it into "goalposts" with the pipe bender, given them a lick of hammerite and used them to support the netting. Even still I have to repair a few peck holes each year. Without the netting, I'm sure I'd have hardly any. This fanciful notion put about in organic circles of "planting enough for all" is ludicrous; nobody teaches the wildlife to share - they take the lot !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th July 2012, 10:50 pm

The ground here is quite sodden, so the straw under the strawberries has become quite unpleasant, and the berries are either going mouldy or getting slug damage.
Never mind though, because LOOK: I've grown my first cauliflower!!
What are you harvesting today? - Page 11 Caulif11
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th July 2012, 10:55 pm

It is a Serac - it was overwintered and planted out in the very early spring (all the ones I tried the year before were killed in the winter weather, but last winter wasn't too bad.) I think everyone in the family is fed up with me talking about cauliflowers now....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 6th July 2012, 10:58 pm

Wow that is impressive.

I grow my strawberries in pots these days and I'm never sure if I should put straw under the. When I tried to buy straw from the garden centre a couple of years ago, they offered me a huge bale of rabbit bedding straw so I just leave them as they are. I wassure I'd seen strawberry mates advertised somewhere in the past, but can't find them.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th July 2012, 11:43 pm

Your cauli looks like a catalogue picture - it looks superb.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th July 2012, 3:08 pm

Certainly a fine cauli, Dandelion. They are one of the hardest things to grow, I think, and certainly to get that clean. So many pests love them !

Mulching strawberries. I have read about mulching with straw to keep the fruit off the ground, but not having any straw I tried mulching half of mine with wood shavings, which I do have plenty of. Doing half allowed a comparison - turns out it was a bad idea ! In this wet weather the mulch reduces the airflow around the crowns and encouraged rotting of the fruit, I won't try that again with shavings or straw, they seem fine on the ground.

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th July 2012, 8:48 pm

Jaded Green wrote:
I grow my strawberries in pots these days and I'm never sure if I should put straw under the. When I tried to buy straw from the garden centre a couple of years ago, they offered me a huge bale of rabbit bedding straw so I just leave them as they are. I wassure I'd seen strawberry mates advertised somewhere in the past, but can't find them.

I used weed-proofing membrane a few years ago when I planted a new batch of strawberry plants. I slashed X shaped cuts into it and put each plant into an X. It did keep the strawberries clean, but it got a bit annoying when I wanted to put Blood Fish and Bone around the plants. In the end I pulled it up, but it is an option if you can't find strawberry mats
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th July 2012, 8:16 pm

Picked another couple of pounds of strawberries, and cleared out probably the same amount of rotten ones. Still, I have had enough now - several helpings, a litre of ice-cream and 7 jars of jam from about 18 plants must be good going.

Also picked the odd chilli Ring of fire to spice up tonight's pizza Smile
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 17th July 2012, 7:30 pm

Yipee! First courgettes today. Three Cucino cucumbers, Latah tomatoes and Tendercrop french beans all from the greenhouse. Sugarsnap peas and broad beans from outside. Yummy yum yum yum yum.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th July 2012, 10:01 pm

The first two kohl rabi - and I managed to catch them before they went woody!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th July 2012, 3:17 pm

Glad to hear things are coming together at last Freebird.

I've got a few things ready for eating - cucumbers still, tomatoes, chillies (green only yet), a few new potatoes, some mangetout, some lettuce. Seems that's hoe it is going to pan out this year; a little of most things, but not a great yield.

Mind you, I'm tentatively pleased with my carrots. The carrot cage is a big success; the carrots Ulysses under there are about 1" across the "shoulder", though I haven't pulled any to know how long they are. The rest of the carrots which were not protected are either gone altogether, or looking miserable.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next