A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 16 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 3rd August 2013, 6:58 pm

This thread should be renamed 'What are the blackbirds harvesting today'. I've managed to rescue a reasonable amount of blackcurrants & realised that it has all been a front for the raiding of my early blueberries - the bush is bare! I'll have to resort to netting the later ones which I rarely do. They're raiding the redcurrants big time too so I'll have to mount a rescue mission on those tomorrow. On the positive side perhaps it means that they have had a good breeding season this year.
FB I've heard loads of reports of tomatoes taking an age to start ripening this year. I've had some sungold but the rest (4 other varieties) are determined to stay huge & green

Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 3rd August 2013, 10:05 pm

...or small and green!!
Sadly I've had the first signs of blight today. I had been keeping my eye on a tomato plant in a large pot as the leaves had a little yellow mottling - nothing too awful, but today I saw two unmistakeably blightly fruits. I've removed them, and any yellowing leaves. I had been growing the tomato in the garden, but with rain forecast I had moved it inside one of our light sheds (not greenhouses, but with see-through roofs). Despite that, it has still succumbed. All the rest (inside and out) look fine - interestingly, the sick one was the only one I accidentally watered with water from the butt, which had been there since last year, so that could be the cause.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd August 2013, 10:37 pm

Oh that's disappointing Dandelion. I've not seen any sign of blight on mine, but did make a point of growing blight resistant varieties outdoors, so keeping fingers crossed. So far the potatoes have been ok.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 4th August 2013, 7:24 pm

Toms, cues, pots & beans. Well pleased
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th August 2013, 9:07 pm

The last of the cauliflowers, which had become quite overgrown and wierd. The flowers were on their way to becoming pinky purple, and the whole cauli head was uneven and strange looking. Tasted OK though!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th August 2013, 9:05 am

The cucumbers have joined the courgettes in a bid for world domination. Still only sungold ripening in the tomato department. Dug a couple more rows of potatoes as the leaves are starting to get some tell tale spots - Arran pilot, a fantastic crop of mahoosive spuds. Picked a very nice second crop of strawberries from the hanging baskets in the greenhouse, they're big & sweet & much better than the earlier crop. Typical isn't it, now that the toms & cucs have got going I've got a blip in my lettuce supply.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th August 2013, 6:33 pm

Well, I seriously hope that the gooseberries I picked today are going to taste good - I have some savage scratches on my arm!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 10th August 2013, 2:55 pm

Yeay! My first few runner beans today. The hot dry weather meant the earlier flowers didn't set, and I notice that some of the plants are quite badly infested with the dreaded blackfly. But if the weather holds, I'm hoping for some reasonable crops in the next weeks. A N D at last my greenhouse tomatoes are starting to change colour. Also accidentally harvested my first chilli, while attending to the greenhouse watering - it got knocked off a plant that is now 8 feet high and is making a bid for freedom out the greenhouse roof.

Oh, and a goodly picking of ginormous blackberries. And courgettes of course.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th August 2013, 4:48 pm

My courgettes are now marrows, so DD1 made a big marrow and tomato casserole this morning Very Happy Very Happy 

I have a few blackberries on the new plant I put in last year (Oregon thornless - really pretty leaves) which'll be ripe in a few weeks time. But I spotted some monster brambles coming over the fence from next door which look as if they have much bigger fruit on - the brambles have been attacking me as I was trying to sort out the bed underneath them, so I will have to cut them back eventually.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th August 2013, 4:57 pm

70lbs of honey - whoo hoo!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 14th August 2013, 8:14 pm

Ploshkin wrote:70lbs of honey - whoo hoo!
Blimey - has it been a good year for honey, or have you had good luck?
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th August 2013, 11:26 am

It has been a good year for honey in these parts but I could potentially have had double that. I only managed to stop one hive from swarming, the others were popping off every 5 minutes taking half the foraging force with them and also we have had dull, wet weather ever since the willowherb started to flower so very little collected from that. I think I have mainly clover & bramble which were both out in force when we had our 3 week summer last month.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th August 2013, 5:42 pm

My first red chilli! More courgettes, superb blackberries, autumn-fruiting raspberries (the best raspberries I've had all year), greenhouse tomatoes, and best of all, my first ever plums off my 3 (or is it 4?) year old plum tree.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 18th August 2013, 7:24 pm

Runner & green beans & toms & cue.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th August 2013, 11:17 am

polgara wrote:Runner & green beans & toms & cue.
Pol, you're a marvel - all that harvest considering that it hasn't been an easy year for you.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th August 2013, 9:47 pm

Tomatoes - well impressed with a dwarf bush type Red Robin. Very cute and productive in small clay pots on the patio. Plenty of cucumbers, both greenhouse and outdoor. A couple of nice calabrese, carrots, and red onions. Oh, and a raspberry ! Hopefully more to come.

Lettuce has all bolted, and the fennel has largely vanished. One year I might figure out where it goes. The squash Sweet dumpling from the seed swap are romping over the plot - I'll have to lok out what to do with them.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th August 2013, 8:09 pm

Hey - first runner beans & thanks to the busy bumbles it is looking to be a bumper crop. I feel some jars of pickled runner beans coming on - if you haven't tried River Cottage pickled beans then you haven't lived.

Finally got a ripe tomato other than sungold - a couple of black cherry which I've grown for the first time. Still picking strawberries from the hanging baskets in the gh, they have had a brilliant season.

I think I am going to struggle for green stuff this winter, they're all in rhacs, thanks to the caterpillars, despite being under mesh.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th August 2013, 8:28 pm

Picked the first tomato from my Yellow Brandywine plant which has been growing in the shed - the fruit was 14oz in weight, and made two rounds of tomatoes on toast and three cheese and tomato sandwiches. That's what I call value for money!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 29th August 2013, 10:11 am

sounds lovely. we didn't grow any tomatoes this year.

We must start planning some autumn sowing.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th August 2013, 1:01 pm

Something has gone rather awry with my chillies this year. I have a pot labelled Mulato with a red bell peper on it. And the ones labelled Ancho look brown, suspiciously like they are Mulato. I stuffed and barbecued some of the Sweet Nardello, supposedly a long pointed pepper at the weekend and was left with a mouth on fire !

I must take more care with my labelling next year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th August 2013, 9:43 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Something has gone rather awry with my chillies this year.  I have a pot labelled Mulato with a red bell peper on it.  And the ones labelled Ancho look brown, suspiciously like they are Mulato.  I stuffed and barbecued some of the Sweet Nardello, supposedly a long pointed pepper at the weekend and was left with a mouth on fire !

I must take more care with my labelling next year.
You don't keep a bottle of sherry in your greenhouse do you??
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th August 2013, 9:40 am

Look what I just brought in from the garden.....
What are you harvesting today? - Page 16 Harves10
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th August 2013, 10:06 am

WOW!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th August 2013, 10:46 am

Very pretty. Don't fresh vegetables look so appealing when artfully arranged together like that. I'm sure they will taste as good as they look. Don't hang around too long getting the sweetcorn to the kitchen !

I'm sure you now deserve to treat yourself to a nice, had crafted traditional trug though, FB Very Happy 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th August 2013, 11:26 am

Chilli-head wrote:I'm sure you now deserve to treat yourself to a nice, had crafted traditional trug though, FB Very Happy 
You'll probably think I'm a complete philistine, but I actually prefer a plastic trug. It's lightweight and really easy to clean.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th September 2013, 9:09 pm

Lots of stuff to get in today. I spent the morning digging potatoes, then in the afternooon went back to pick some other stuff - cucumbers, beetroot, peas, sweetcorn, calabrese, raspberries, and peppers and chilles from the greenhouse. Just got to work out what to do with it all now !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next