A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you preserving today? - Page 3 Hca_button

What are you preserving today?

+17
mr_sfstk8d
GoneDutch
MrsC
Adrian
Devonmama
Lakshmi
GB
AngelinaJellyBeana
Chilli-head
Aberlemno
polgara
chickenofthewoods
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Sparhawk
Mam Miniog
21 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What are you preserving today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you preserving today?

Post by GB 30th August 2011, 12:05 am

What are you preserving today? - Page 3 00312

Beautyberries, and no, the color hasnt been doctored Laughing they really are that color!

pity they dont keep it when turned into jelly or in my case, syrup headbang

GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

What are you preserving today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you preserving today?

Post by Adrian 30th August 2011, 12:16 am

Callycarpa Americana, I grow them too

Today I made mango chutney and 6 liters of blueberry jam and a liter of gherkins - the way the cucumber vines are fruiting, this is the first of many many jars of gherkins
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 30th August 2011, 9:28 am

Wow - that colour is quite something. I assume they could be used to dye fabric / yarn too. That would be a magical colour for a hat or similar!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 31st August 2011, 11:50 am

Just made a lot of blackberry jam. My Mum would be so pleased with me Laughing
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi 31st August 2011, 10:24 pm

I've made some "tidy the food cupboard chutney" - it smelled and tasted allright, hopefully it will mature well!
Lakshmi
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 31st August 2011, 10:33 pm

Today I processed tomatoes, got a 3 liters of sauce from the first crop - looks like another hundred to come Very Happy
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi 1st September 2011, 10:48 am

lucky you, badger! tomato sauce is part of my staples.
Lakshmi
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by GoneDutch 1st September 2011, 6:18 pm

I'm jealous - tomtoes this year were a disaster (my fault), but the figs are fantastic (nothing to do with me!) so tonight is fig jam time...
GoneDutch
GoneDutch

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st September 2011, 11:04 pm

I should be doing something creative with all the pears I've got, but they're so delicious I keep eating them.... Rolling Eyes
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 2nd September 2011, 9:20 pm

Made another lot of mustard pickle for OH, think I have run out of space to store it now.

Going to pickle some of the small onions I think as I have rather a lot.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 2nd September 2011, 10:11 pm

Today I found myself up to my nipples in peaches - a friend had bought a bushel of them (without knowing how much a bushel was... Shocked )

I got her surplus, so made Peach and Orange marmalade
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd September 2011, 10:12 pm

How much is a bushel??
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 2nd September 2011, 10:46 pm

15 kilos or 8 gallons...
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno 3rd September 2011, 5:29 am

I've just almost finished processing 30 lbs of Damsons. I've made wine, gin, and puree which is being frozen, plus damson ice cream which is DIVINE!

I'm starting on the first of the apples now - have been dealing with windfalls for a couple of weeks, just for pies etc, but the jackdaws are going mad on the Bramley tree out there so will have to pick some of the best early whilst they're still still (and send OH out with the air rifle to deal with the pesky things).

Blackberries too, but not a good year for them in our neck of the woods.
Aberlemno

http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakshmi 3rd September 2011, 12:46 pm

peaches and raspberries go well together in a kind of peach melba jam. if somewhat sweet to my taste. I know there are more recipes in my books so say if you need more ideas.
Lakshmi
Lakshmi

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 3rd September 2011, 4:09 pm

Pears in the dehydrator, ducks and bacon in the smoker, guanciale in the drycure box, culatello resting in wine and garlic.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 3rd September 2011, 5:49 pm

Just damson gin ongoing here... Second batch about to be sorted.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 4th September 2011, 1:00 am

MrsC wrote:Wow - that colour is quite something. I assume they could be used to dye fabric / yarn too. That would be a magical colour for a hat or similar!

Mrs C

I just wish the color would stay but as soon as it heats up it goes a dull pinkish Sad

Not much preserved lately but a couple of pear trees are calling to me. They are a southern pear, very CRISP and watery with an OK pear taste.

NOT a favorite to be honest but have a recipe for pear butter that looks tasty.

And have you heard? Scientists have now discovered butter is good for you. What planet do they live on that they didn't know that already???
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 4th September 2011, 5:46 am

[quote="GB"]Not much preserved lately but a couple of pear trees are calling to me. They are a southern pear, very CRISP and watery with an OK pear taste.
quote]

Have you tried Korean Pears? (Asian Pears) They're fab. Had them fresh when I was in Korea. About the size of a Grapefruit, with a very firm fruit. Nice pear/apple flavor. Haven't tried cooking them. Had brought seeds home with me, but don't think they're still viable after 10 years in a house temp cabinet, lol. Would love to look them up again should I ever get a proper orchard, sigh...
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 4th September 2011, 3:14 pm

[quote="mr_sfstk8d"]
GB wrote:Not much preserved lately but a couple of pear trees are calling to me. They are a southern pear, very CRISP and watery with an OK pear taste.
quote]

Have you tried Korean Pears? (Asian Pears) They're fab. Had them fresh when I was in Korea. About the size of a Grapefruit, with a very firm fruit. Nice pear/apple flavor. Haven't tried cooking them. Had brought seeds home with me, but don't think they're still viable after 10 years in a house temp cabinet, lol. Would love to look them up again should I ever get a proper orchard, sigh...

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/buyPlants.php This lot have Asian Pears and they do sound nice.

The Southern Pear was the only one resistant to blight for decades but because they are NOT the best pear they seem to have died out now Sad They only hang on here and there, like the old apples do, waiting to be rediscovered adn saved.

So, I shall be trying to save these two I have found. They are beautiful trees, flowers in spring and heaps of fruit in late summer and even if its not super fruit, its still something nice to have for hte pigs if for no other reason Laughing
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th September 2012, 10:37 pm

Ooh, that's funny - it's exactly a year to the day since GB wrote the last post on this thread.

Well, I'm just having a sit down, being a bit stiffnakey. Trying desperately to deal with the cooking apples off of our very elderly tree. It's a soft apple that doesn't keep at all well, but I love the flavour. I had the tree identified by the RHS, who reckoned it is an old variety called Stirling Castle. The fruit tends to disintegrate in bottling, and I'm very short of freezer space, so most of the crop is being dehydrated. Just finished a full load, which will go on tonight, to take advantage of cheap rate electricity. I've only had the dehydrator about 6 months, so this is all quite new to me. My dried chillies last year (which I did in the oven) were so successful, I decided that it would be worth the expense of buying the dehydrator. So far I've dried more chillies, bay leaves, courgettes, apples, pears, strawberries and the good bits I cut off the onions that the slugs got at. Oh, and liver for dog treats.

I have also been bottling the fruit from a much newer, cordon cooking apple tree, Annie Elizabeth. That is a solid, keeping fruit, so I've just been processing the windfalls so far. Bit of an experiment - since the man has been diagnosed with diabetes, I am not using a sugar syrup as I usually do for fruit bottling. My book says you can bottle in water, but with some loss of flavour, so I have decided to try using a sweetner instead of sugar. I've added some lemon juice just to make sure the acidity is good. I don't love the idea of using sweetners, and mostly try not to use them, but the apples are much too tart to eat without.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th September 2012, 5:17 pm

This is what I am not preserving - a neighbour gave me a bag of small plums. I prepared them, and put them in a pan with a little water and sugar on a low gas while University Challenge was starting. I didn't bother to put the timer on (big mistake), thinking I would smell them cooking and remember to turn them off.
I didn't even smell them burning...
The pan took 24 hours soaking and scrubbing to get clean again. I was cross with myself for wasting plums, sugar and gas - I'll time them next time!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 5th September 2012, 11:14 pm

Dandelion wrote:This is what I am not preserving - a neighbour gave me a bag of small plums. I prepared them, and put them in a pan with a little water and sugar on a low gas while University Challenge was starting. I didn't bother to put the timer on (big mistake), thinking I would smell them cooking and remember to turn them off.
The pan took 24 hours soaking and scrubbing to get clean again. I was cross with myself for wasting plums, sugar and gas - I'll time them next time!!

I shouldnt laugh but OMG that was funny! The last thing I burnt that bad was my stove top steamer. Burnt it black and managed to flavor the steamed veggies with burnt taste too so even though they were not actually burnt, they sure did taste it!

And I havnt managed to preserve a thing this year so far Embarassed even my palm fruits have gone to the birds.

Where does the time go???
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th September 2012, 6:43 am

Dandelion wrote:This is what I am not preserving - a neighbour gave me a bag of small plums. I prepared them, and put them in a pan with a little water and sugar on a low gas while University Challenge was starting. I didn't bother to put the timer on (big mistake), thinking I would smell them cooking and remember to turn them off.
Oh no! It reminds me of the very first time I made jam - 1lb plums, 1lb sugar. How do I know when it's ready, I asked my mum. Well, she said, you can tell when it boils - it looks like jam. I boiled and boiled it, patiently. Didn't really know but thought it must be about done, and put it in a jar. 1lb plums and 1lb sugar fitted in a 1lb jar - when it was cool, I bent the knife trying to get it out the pot!

By the way, Dandelion, unless your pans are aluminium, boiling up water with plenty of bicarbonate of soda helps enormously for badly burned pans. Then leave it to soak and cool - the longer the better. It's better on things that have had fat in, but does work on burnt sugar too. It just takes a bit more perseverance.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2012, 7:45 pm

freebird wrote:
Oh no! It reminds me of the very first time I made jam - 1lb plums, 1lb sugar. How do I know when it's ready, I asked my mum. Well, she said, you can tell when it boils - it looks like jam. I boiled and boiled it, patiently. Didn't really know but thought it must be about done, and put it in a jar. 1lb plums and 1lb sugar fitted in a 1lb jar - when it was cool, I bent the knife trying to get it out the pot!

By the way, Dandelion, unless your pans are aluminium, boiling up water with plenty of bicarbonate of soda helps enormously for badly burned pans. Then leave it to soak and cool - the longer the better. It's better on things that have had fat in, but does work on burnt sugar too. It just takes a bit more perseverance.

It always makes you feel better when you know that other people have done similar things!
I soaked the pan with biological washing liquid overnight, which made no difference at all. I then soaked it with biological washing powder, which did the job nicely. Maybe there is bi carb in the washing powder? Will try that next time...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 23rd September 2012, 11:51 am

Grapes, aka homemade raisins (or are they sultanas?). Matters not. They are utterly and absolutely delicious. Why the bother? I always used to buy large raisins for my Christmas cake. Don't know what sort they were, but they were gorgeous - tasted almost of elderflower. Can't get them anywhere. So when I saw some large seeded grapes in the market (the sort that taste of elderflower), decided to have a go at making my own. Fiddly getting the seeds out, and so far they've taken 35 hours in the dehydrator. In terms of cost, probably not worth it, but for something special they really are sooo gooood. Looking forward to making the cake next week.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next