A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Compostwoman 24th February 2010, 6:54 pm

Chilli Head they sound wonderful! I have only just planted some of mine....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Dandelion 24th February 2010, 7:31 pm

You're on then - for both interesting tomatoes and a plant swap. (My tomato varieties are all very sensible ones - I could do with some excitement!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th February 2010, 8:44 pm

Its a deal!

Todai I scrubbed out the Broody ark clean ( put it inside the polytunnel, so stayed dry doing so....) and finished the tidy up in the PT so all systems are ready to go. Got the heated propogators out, checked them over and filled up LOTS of seed modules. Will have a mammoth seed session at the weekend I think!

Also sorted out all my seeds..!!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 25th February 2010, 10:41 am

Added some dry stuff to the compost bin & gave it a turn over.
Put broad beans, peas & dwarf beans to sprout
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 26th February 2010, 9:39 pm

Worked in a lot more compost into new raised bed,
transplanted garlic that I started in December in greenhouse into raised bed
(I havent seen that much root on garlics before!!!)
planted 1 x row of last years white & red onion sets
(they have 2 choices & a time limit of 1 month)
moved glass panel onto bottom (deep end) end of raised bed next to other one to start warming
(ha, ha) soil
sprinkled some butterfly & bee flower mix near pond...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th February 2010, 11:33 pm

Squelched through the mire to feed and water the hens.
Took away some old pea netting.
Wondered when the soil would be workable
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 1st March 2010, 12:20 pm

Dug over a small bed and cleared it of weeds on the allotment yesterday. I'm aching now but it felt soooo good to be back out doing something
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st March 2010, 1:52 pm

At last a weekend with at least a bit of decent weather ! Spread some compost around the fruit trees and asparagus bed, and started building a cold frame for the lotty out of scrap wood and some plastic sheeting left over from a roofing job. Hopefully I'll get some better cucumbers this year. Might even beat the muntjac to eat them Evil or Very Mad
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 1st March 2010, 2:17 pm

Well - On Saturday Mr C finally assembled my raised bed and filled it with compost. Now down to me to start growing things in it! For the time being though it's just covered in fleecy stuff to try and not let it get too cold whilst there's still such an overnight frost. I figure that even in my state I should be able to start some seeds off in the propagator.

Has been great out there today though wandering round and looking at all the bulbs that are starting to make themselves known in the garden.

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 1st March 2010, 4:31 pm

Sort of. Well definitely garden related.

Dug about 10 meters of path from the kitchen door to the "carriage shed" as although this building was designed for passage between under roof cover (a "two holer" on the far side of the carriage shed) we have that passageway used for storage and so blocked off. The last meter or so dug at the risk of life and limb under a large serac*. It actually fell while I was out there but fortunately not while I was underneath.

So we can now get to our planting trays/cells, our plating mix, old compost in barrels (you'd say "bins") and of course the large trash can ("bin") with the bird seed supply so we can now refill the smaller one we keep indoors.

Then I dug from the trampled path to the summer lkitchen (bird feeder hangs there) over to try to find and excavate two small raised beds. Actually two very large flower boxes we use that way. I managed to find them and have them dug out to the level of their tops. I know not going to be easy for you to picture but that involved removing about 1/2 meter and still that's maybe 20-30 cms above ground level (the bottom of these boxes resting on the ground). At this depth the old snow is hard pack; you can walk on it without sinking in.

* Forgive this use of a mountaineering term but that's an apt description for the long curls of massive snow/ice that often hang extending out from the roofs as the snow/ice flows under weight. Can remain there days over half a meter beyond being supported by the roof before breaking off with a massive thud.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 2nd March 2010, 12:34 am

A successful afternoon, large planter emptied, turned around to fit new space refilled & blackcurrant bush & raspberry cane moved from greenhouse & planted in as they had started sprouting.

A few more bits of wood put onto raised bed...

Fed compost bin with "greens" & shredded paper

Removed cats stuff Evil or Very Mad

Then into greenhouse...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 2nd March 2010, 8:25 pm

First seeds of the year planted! Very Happy Only some herbs for the kitchen windowsill (parsley, coriander and basil) from a nice set with pots that I was bought for Christmas, but it's a start!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 2nd March 2010, 8:46 pm

Way to go Mrs C
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 3rd March 2010, 7:36 pm

First seeds planted. Well of course not out in the graden but in a tray that will spend the next month or two on a rack by a window. Well not two months as all of these are cold hardy members of the allium clan. Lots of cells of keeping onions, a few smaller cells of an early "non-keeper*" that we are trying and that we can replant August to see if we can overwinter here, and leeks of the fat sort, a variety supposedly very winter hardy that we may be able to overwinter some of. We haven't been doing leeks but are giving it a try with an ultra hardy variety. Will dig most in the Fall, use some, pot some up and stick in cellar, and leave some to see if they will be usable in the Spring.

* Not as bad as that -- should be OK for several months. But when we say "keepr" onions we mean varieties like from the "Copra" family you can have stay good till the next year's crop comes in.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd March 2010, 7:57 pm

I broke up the soil in my new raised bed - the soil has come from a loam pile which I made a few years ago, so the grass has rotted down, but it is a bit lumpy. It was good therapy after a near miss in the car on the way home from work - an OAP forgot to stop at a junction and nearly caused a nasty accident. Put the adrenaline to good use..... :bounce:
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th March 2010, 10:05 am

Planted out some garlic which I couldn't get outside during all the snow. It may not come to anything ( it is a bit late) but I might as well put it in the ground!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th March 2010, 3:32 pm

It's worth a try, as everything else is so late this year
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 7th March 2010, 3:59 pm

Dug over another bed on the allotment and sowed some peas in the bed I dug over last week
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th March 2010, 4:27 pm

It really is finally all happening in the less northerly bits of the UK, isn't it?

I know Stonehead and those up north in Scotland still have a load of snow on the ground though.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 9th March 2010, 11:34 am

Finally spent some time outside this morning and have made a start on my grow your own plans! Very Happy

Only small steps (bearing in mind my "condition") but feeling really pleased with myself!

This morning I have:
Planted in the raised bed one of these "garden in a box things" that I was bought as a gift that supposedly contains a mix of veg. I don't believe it will work as everything was all mixed up inside when I got it, but we'll wait and see,
Also planned the first of my onions in little pots that are now on the kitchen window sill.
And filled my propagator with tomato seeds.

Sadly I need to leave most of the work in the raised bed until Mr C's here to help with digging and bending, but feeling rather pleased with myself. Just need to buy more seed trays and/or small pots as I've now filled all the ones I've got!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th March 2010, 2:23 pm

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 467656 What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 9th March 2010, 6:27 pm

Oh - and the Basil seeds that I planted last week have already started to sprout! bouncing

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th March 2010, 6:54 pm

I made a 2 x 3 m raised bed and filled it with soil half full...tomorrow ( if I am well enough) I shall be barrowing compost into it What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Icon_smile

Also planted loads of seeds (assorted herbs, kale, parsnips in tubes, peas in drain pipe, some benificial flower seeds )

and finished washing all the pots and trays What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 142796

Compostman pruned fruit trees, dug some more veg patch over, put in some wooden edging strip and generally did stuff...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 9th March 2010, 7:24 pm

I take it you're feeling better then CW! Very Happy

It's so lovely just to be able to spend time outside in the garden. It's like having a room that I've not been able to use for the last few months and suddenly I'm allowed back into it!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th March 2010, 7:34 pm

Well, it was a fix together easily recycled plastic sort of bed, but it did need filling with soil and compost What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

I think you could say I feel a bit better , now What have you done in the garden today? - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

It is sited in the corner of the veg patch, and will be for parsnips and carrots etc, as our parsnips have been getting stuck in the clay soil underlying the improved soil, so I decided to raise the surface up by 25 cm or so...

Also it will be easier to keep of the carrot fly with mesh in a raised bed.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 9th March 2010, 8:47 pm

MrsC wrote:Oh - and the Basil seeds that I planted last week have already started to sprout! bouncing

Mrs C

Rolling Eyes I could never get on with the basil...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next