A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 21 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by polgara 18th April 2011, 3:17 pm

Had to water all my pots today, everything is very dry & me broad beans were begining to droop.

polgara

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Dandelion 18th April 2011, 3:48 pm

Chilli-head wrote:
Dandelion wrote:Have you tried comfrey tea for tomatoes etc - smelly but free!!

I have. My god did it stink. Even repeated washings could not get the smell off my hands. Mind you, I did make it in a barrel that had previously been used to store pig slurrey samples !

Even without the pig slurry it was erm ...'fragrant'!! Maybe that's one reason why the house next door took so long to sell?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil D 18th April 2011, 10:24 pm

I have just spread 28 barrow loads ( 9 cu yards) of composted horse manure on our veg patch.
Phil D
Phil D

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th April 2011, 10:48 pm

I can't compete with 28 barrowloads - I just moved one compost heap into the wooden crate I use to finish it off. It's not perfect yet, but in a compost emergency could be sieved to produce some useable stuff. I'm hardening off veg in modules to plant out (kohl rabi, beetroot, lettuce) and am taking the little tomato plants out for some fresh air even though it's a bit early. It seems a shame to waste the warm weather, and it's better than them stretching and getting all lanky inside. (When I say I'm taking them out, I don't mean they're having a ride round the block in my car - that would be silly.)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2011, 10:54 pm

Phil D wrote:I have just spread 28 barrow loads ( 9 cu yards) of composted horse manure on our veg patch.

a+
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2011, 11:00 pm

Dandelion wrote: I'm hardening off veg in modules to plant out (kohl rabi, beetroot, lettuce) and am taking the little tomato plants out for some fresh air even though it's a bit early. It seems a shame to waste the warm weather, and it's better than them stretching and getting all lanky inside. (When I say I'm taking them out, I don't mean they're having a ride round the block in my car - that would be silly.)

Erm why, exactly? My lot get to go on outings to Hereford and to Ledbury in the car, and then come home for a cool shower and a drink! Very Happy Embarassed *1

Some*2 people say I love my plants too much...my response is

you can never love them too much! Shocked

*1 This really happened on Thursday last week.Embarassed
*2 Compostgirl and Compostman, for two Rolling Eyes
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil D 18th April 2011, 11:04 pm

Dandelion wrote:I can't compete with 28 barrowloads - I just moved one compost heap into the wooden crate I use to finish it off. It's not perfect yet, but in a compost emergency could be sieved to produce some useable stuff. I'm hardening off veg in modules to plant out (kohl rabi, beetroot, lettuce) and am taking the little tomato plants out for some fresh air even though it's a bit early. It seems a shame to waste the warm weather, and it's better than them stretching and getting all lanky inside. (When I say I'm taking them out, I don't mean they're having a ride round the block in my car - that would be silly.)
28 barrow loads has not even dented our compost heap, I have another 1000 sq ft to amend yet, I think I will use the tractor for that job tho!
Phil D
Phil D

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th April 2011, 10:18 am

So presumably you keep horses.....???
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 19th April 2011, 5:03 pm

Lots of clearing up & pot moving today, with a bit of pruning & pulling up. What have you done in the garden today? - Page 21 260653
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil D 19th April 2011, 7:48 pm

Dandelion wrote:So presumably you keep horses.....???
Yes we have 2 horses.
Phil D
Phil D

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 25th April 2011, 1:02 pm

Mr JG has just planted the rhubarb plant we bought less than an hour ago!

I've sown 5 cucumber seeds. Miss JG has sown some more mange tout.

We only have a very small garden.

We do think we can squeeze in raspberries and one blackcurrant and one gooseberry bush next to the apple tree though.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th April 2011, 2:48 pm

Jaded Green wrote:

There's a good BBC Gardeners' World book called '101 ideas for veg from small spaces' - I sent it to my cousin who is gardening in a small space in S. London. It has some very ingenious ideas for squeezing more edible plants into a limited space. (I'm sure you'll get the extra fruit in. We always do.....)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 25th April 2011, 3:00 pm

Dandelion wrote:
Jaded Green wrote:

There's a good BBC Gardeners' World book called '101 ideas for veg from small spaces' - I sent it to my cousin who is gardening in a small space in S. London. It has some very ingenious ideas for squeezing more edible plants into a limited space. (I'm sure you'll get the extra fruit in. We always do.....)

Thank you. We're certainly going to try to pack in as much as we can. I'll look out for the book
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil D 26th April 2011, 12:50 am

Phil D wrote:
Dandelion wrote:I can't compete with 28 barrowloads - I just moved one compost heap into the wooden crate I use to finish it off. It's not perfect yet, but in a compost emergency could be sieved to produce some useable stuff. I'm hardening off veg in modules to plant out (kohl rabi, beetroot, lettuce) and am taking the little tomato plants out for some fresh air even though it's a bit early. It seems a shame to waste the warm weather, and it's better than them stretching and getting all lanky inside. (When I say I'm taking them out, I don't mean they're having a ride round the block in my car - that would be silly.)
28 barrow loads has not even dented our compost heap, I have another 1000 sq ft to amend yet, I think I will use the tractor for that job tho!

I will correct this, it is a 1000 sq yards, not a 1000 sq ft. 1
Phil D
Phil D

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 1st May 2011, 6:07 pm

My broad beans are full of flower now
Fighting the pidgeons for the peas which have lovely pods on
All the onions & shallots are stood up straight & tall
lettuce coming through as are toms, gerkins carrots & beetroot, so well pleased.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 1st May 2011, 9:00 pm

I did a lot for 50 other people's gardens!

I spent today Master Gardener-ing and helping lots of people to GROW MORE VEG!!

Lots of pots of seeds planted and taken away and lots of advice given and plants distributed.

Really good to help people get growing their veg.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st May 2011, 9:37 pm

Turned a compost heap. Done yet more weeding. Looked in dismay at the space where a row of peas should be. Don't understand why they are so hard to grow at the lotty; just seem to vanish, no signs of disturbance Question
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 2nd May 2011, 7:54 am

Could it be lack of moisture, CH? Either that or them there mice, lil varmints... Rolling Eyes

My beetroot were terribly slow to germinate, in fact they didn't til I watered daily. They're another very dried husky type... good luck!
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 2nd May 2011, 11:25 am

I soak my beetroot seeds for a couple of days, & they seem to come up much quicker & a better germination rate as well.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 2nd May 2011, 2:45 pm

Here's a mystery - I sowed runner bean seeds in root trainers last month, red (Best of All) and white (White Lady). The red germinated well (100%) but the white was less than 50%. I have potted up the red, and today potted up the measly, much smaller white plants. On the roots, and in the compost I found eggs - about 3mm long and a dull ochre colour, rounded at one end and pointed at the other. Some of the eggs had hatched into transparent grubs. I've got the chickens involved in despatching the grubs; the eggs I've sluiced off and planted the beans into clean compost. I've grown runners for over 20 years and have never seen these little beasts before. Any ideas? And how did they get there??
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 2nd May 2011, 5:45 pm

Planted a gooseberry, blackcurrant and raspberry, six strawberry plants and two lettuces.

Got rather cold as it is so windy and we weren't in the sun.

Miss JG has bought a kiwi fruit tree and made a nice trellis for it out of bamboo sticks and garden twine - using her Girl Guide skills
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd May 2011, 9:14 pm

polgara wrote:I soak my beetroot seeds for a couple of days, & they seem to come up much quicker & a better germination rate as well.

Geoff Hamilton reckoned that you should wash beetroot seed in a kitchen sieve to remove something that suppresses germination. So, you are probably doing the right thing (IMHO you can't do too much wrong by doing as Geoff did Smile )

Investigated the peas; believe it or not they had rotted, despite the dry weather ! I've put in a long row of Waverex as a replacement - it is a family favourite petit pois type and freezes very well.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 5th May 2011, 4:08 pm

It's all prep work this week. Finished the decorative garden last weekend. Right on at half tonne of cypress mulch laid on, as well as 45 m of double layer landscape timber layed in to keep it there. Triple layer at one edge where the street side barrier has settled badly into the abyss. I do love my old historic brick lane, but it needs worked on, honestly. Took a couple of weekends, but it's finished. SIL who DW hadn't seen in person in years (just FB recently) just showed up on the door step while we were knee deep in mulch as well, but that's another story.

Clearing out back lot where the dogs run. Winterlong without scooping leaves a lot of 'stuff' to pick up. Also, there is something of a broadleaf with a hefty tap root that grows well on it, so not all bad... I think. This is also the area where I'll be putting a ~11 m run of wooden privacy fence this weekend, so trying to make sure the work site is adequately clear of obstruction. And land mines... Materials purchased, utility surveyors called out, city permit purchased, now just need the time.

Also done the first rubbish picking, raking, stick picking, mowing, and raking again of the front yard. Will run edger by walkway next weekend, I think. All done by people power, as the gas mower needs carb work. Love my reel mower, but wasn't sure if it would cut it on the first mow of season. You know how things are patchy and taller here, shorter there as they wake up in their own time (micro climates, and all). But, after a few passes, it worked a charm. Had youngest son L 'helping' as well. He's very light for a 6 year old, so he needed me to provide the momentum (not so light for a mid 30's, lol) while he steered. Somehow when it came time to rake up, he was dreadfully busy doing something else though, lol.

I've collected a mass of browns and greens in the process too. I figure I've filled the 120 l wheeled bin at least 8 times in all. Still not done yet, mind you. There will be massive compost riddling and new bin starting in my future.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 5th May 2011, 6:12 pm

I've collected a mass of browns and greens in the process too. I figure I've filled the 120 l wheeled bin at least 8 times in all. Still not done yet, mind you. There will be massive compost riddling and new bin starting in my future.

Very Happy happydance great a+
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th May 2011, 5:55 pm

I've checked my 8ft bean poles and replaced a couple - I'm planning to get at least some of my runner beans planted out this weekend. They have been on the windowsill by day and on my desk at night - I noticed mid week that one bean was so long it had started to twine around the desk lamp overnight! They're hardening off in the garden at the moment - I'll just have to cover them with fleece if we get a cold night, clothes-pegging it to the cane.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 6th May 2011, 5:58 pm

Dandelion wrote:I've checked my 8ft bean poles and replaced a couple - I'm planning to get at least some of my runner beans planted out this weekend. They have been on the windowsill by day and on my desk at night - I noticed mid week that one bean was so long it had started to twine around the desk lamp overnight! They're hardening off in the garden at the moment - I'll just have to cover them with fleece if we get a cold night, clothes-pegging it to the cane.

If you need any more poles come and get some coppice hazel - we always use our own and can spare a few for you.

It was National Bean Pole Week, last week!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next