A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 20 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Dandelion 19th March 2011, 10:20 pm

I've emptied a lot of earthenware pots which had shrubs in - it's amazing how much died in the winter. Even hardy plants like ivies have had it. But the good thing is that I was trying to reduce the number of pots in the garden as they take too much watering in the summer.

Leek seeds are sown, some cabbages pricked out into modules and I'll be sowing tomatoes tomorrow.

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 21st March 2011, 6:12 pm

Tidied up my raised beds in the front garden today. Sowed various lettuce seeds, rocket and spinach
topped up the big planter that has my blueberry, cranberries and alpine strawberries with some acid compost

was lovely to get out doing something

AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 23rd March 2011, 1:01 pm

Had a lovely morning down on the allotment.
Have cleared up the broken polytunnel, dug over 3 beds, planted onions and shallots and sown peas, chard and beetroot. Have also scattered marigold and cornflower seeds along the edge near the path in between all the lovely daffs that are up.

Also sat with 3 of the old timers and had a cuppa and a natter
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd March 2011, 4:29 pm

That sounds lovely. I'm just heading out to find something to do outside - it's so beautiful that it seems a waste not to be out there. I'm sure I can find some weeding.....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 23rd March 2011, 6:05 pm

Lots of activity on the big garden that is Rhomboid Acres. I will do a catchup post in teh RA thread shortly, when I have the fortitude. Walked the perimeter of the new field today. 4 1/2 acres. all of which needs fencing. My nack was cowering at the thought and my wallet shrivelling. Luckily the owners are very happy to largely pay for teh fencing materials if I put in the labour so that is good, and there is a water source (hooray) although it is metered (boo).
Borached the subject of keeping a flock of geese on the field with them, perhaps belatedly as the first batch of eggs go into the incubator on Sunday. they were not averse to it but said would think it over (their house adjoins the field).
Two rows of strawberries plants down, 79 raspberry canes, 2 rows of broad beans, a row of transplanted leeks. 40kg of sand dug into the bit where the carrots are going, sweetcorn patch prepared.
Tomorrow we will hopefully be able to prise up the pig ark and move the pigs onto their new patch and then can get the current pig area rotavated for planting. We really need rain. The ground is almost iron hard already and its only March. We don't seem to have had any rain at all this year.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th March 2011, 9:53 am

I'm amazed how quickly it has dried out here. Normally my clay allotment would be much heavier digging. Last weekend I finished off potato planting fairly easily - I am absolutely amazed at how much the soil has improved over the time I've had it - then again, a few tonnes of organic matter probably helped !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 24th March 2011, 3:24 pm

Got 2 bags of rubbish out of the greenhouse.

Cleaned the birdfeeders & put new food out.

Took for ever & there is still a lot of rubbish to get out, but made a start.

2 buckets of potatoes showing above the surface, so will be able to top up on a couple of days.

Added a lot of vine weevil grubs to the bird table, too many of them about, I hope the birds like them.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th March 2011, 3:58 pm

BArrowed a load more compost around
Planted more seeds
Transplanted more tomatoes into bigger pots ( already on second upgrade!)
Scrubbed out a load of gravel trays
Cleaned up some recycled plant pots
Gathered up assorted stuff around the back of the pt and lean to and put it away or recycled it
Filled yet more bags with compost to store until needed
Dug some ground over
Hung out 3 loads of washing in the sunshine
Drank tea in the sun Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th March 2011, 8:05 pm

Planted out my broad beans (having used Root-trainers for the first time I'm impressed with them.) My new rhubarb crowns arrived - annoyingly it was two 'Champagne' crowns rather than one 'Champagne' and one 'Victoria', as I liked the thought of having three different varieties. (We already have a Timperley Early.) Anyhow, despite my plans not exactly working out I enjoyed planting them and thinking nice crumble and pie thoughts!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 26th March 2011, 10:56 am

At last I finished with the onions.

Also planted some more lettuce & carrots.

As we have a small garden, I have decided to plant lots of what we actually eat, instead of a bit of this & a bit of that. Lots of toms, as I can cook & freeze them for cooking. Lots of carrots, though I do have a problem with them. Lettuce cos the OH likes sandwhiches with it. Also instead of big pots of radish & spring onions, I am using bean tins as again OH is the only one who actuall eats them.

Several peppers, a couple of cues & several gerkin as OH likes pickled ones as does the Sister in law. So far things are looking good.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th March 2011, 4:36 pm

polgara wrote:Lots of carrots, though I do have a problem with them.

Problem eating or growing?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 26th March 2011, 5:31 pm

Growing for some reason, really bad germination, but am trying a different way this year keeping them moist till they germinate & then planting, so we shall see.

I am also not a veggie person, so both options are relevant, but they are one of the very few vegs I tolerate. Use a lot in stews & soup in the winter.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th March 2011, 6:16 pm

Our soil is cold clay, and not much germinates in it until late Spring. I've been trying out growing carrots in a bucket in the cold frame - I grew a late variety in the autumn which were supposed to be for Christmas, but with the arctic conditions they were frozen into the bucket during the festive season! We had them as baby carrots in January. I'm growing some more now - they seem to be OK germinating in sieved peat-free compost with a bit of top soil and sand in, with the protection of the cold frame.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 6th April 2011, 10:38 am

Planted last of the potatoes.

Cleaned up & planted some new thyme & sage.

Planted some carrots & beetroot & put in greenhouse to start off.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 9th April 2011, 12:16 pm

I did weed some of me beds, but I've decided to leave a few californian poppies growing among the onions, they should look really pretty.. Very Happy Beautiful day again today, but everything is sooooo dry! my rhubarb is wilting... Shocked It is April isn't it???? Shocked
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 9th April 2011, 8:01 pm

Dug up some more dandelions, planted primulas in the front and started seriously reducing the size of our box hedge, which is supposed to be a border and has got horribly out of hand.

does anyone know if box sprouts from old wood if I hack it back about 18 inches?
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th April 2011, 8:58 pm

Made another 2 x 3 m raised bed and filled it with soil, leaf mould and compost. Will plant the maincrop spuds in it tomorrow.

Also planted lots more shallots around where the carrots are.

Did a load of compost moving around and filling up of empty compost bins.

Lovely day here again, today
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th April 2011, 9:55 pm

Weeding, watering, pricking out tomatoes. Cut some holly and fiendishly thorny berberis for my mother to put in her garden to keep the cats off her flowerbed. Chased a cat around our garden trying to scare it away, making throaty growling sounds. Haven't seen much of our new neighbours yet.....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 10th April 2011, 7:11 am

I'd say yes! Laughing But I'd do it in stages if it really has got badly out of hand so it doesn't get too shocked and go into decline. But it should be fine. I'd also probably wait til about June so the new growth doesn't get frosted either. I love box hedging, my fav days are reshaping it Very Happy

Ooooooo nearly forgot, treat it to a feed after so it ain't too cross with you.... Wink
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 10th April 2011, 2:53 pm

Thank you Lottie.

so far I have trimmed it form the sides, so we can see how much lawns pace we have, but left the top as cutting that off will leave it bald. I'll wait a while now then. Perhaps should feed it now, to show I love it really.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 11th April 2011, 1:49 pm

Had a lovely, but back breaking, weekend with DW in the front plantings. Some help here and there from the youngs, lol. Nothing so fun as watching a 6 y.o. working with a crow bar and a full sized pick mattock!!!

We've got roughly 15 m x 2.5 m of street side that had been turned to planting by previous owners. The plants are OK, but there's hardly a cohesive design about it. When we first got the place, there were Yucca (full sun, high desert) next to Hostas (partial shade, under canopy). Huh?? Anyway, we've done some moving, deleting, additions, etc. and it's not too bad now. So, there was, of course, the annual pruning, and rejuvination to do. The plant that's the most of a devil to do is one I can't recall the name of. It's a deep burgundy colored bush with small, oval, smoth edged, single leaves along the branches (sometimes a bit lighter in the center of the leaf in younger growth, I believe). Leaves around 1 cm long? They produce little berries that look almost like oblong pommegranite berries (from the inside of the pomme). Best part Rolling Eyes is the WICKED spikes this bu**... beauty produces all over itself. They'll go right through your goves and dig in for the day. Evenings full of tweezing for the both of us. Rude little sod even got DW on the bum and the bossoms!! We've four of these delights, they're the ONLY bit I don't compost, and put to the city garden haul pick up.

Not whithstanding the bits that the city can have, we've taken over 1.5 cu m of compostables just from trimmings, weedings and leaf mould. THEN, we took off as much of the old cypress mulch as was still viable, another 1 cu m. THEN we've gone painstakingly and taken the broken down mulches, leafe mould, weedy bits, root mats, soil, et al from the top of the weed barrier and piled it up as well. At least another 2 cu m. Lots of digging, and carefull hand excavation. This then will be further screened and sorted for compost vs. direct reuse mulching. Ran the fingers through my old set of leather gloves, lol. All this work is because we're having, finally, to replace the lanscape timbers that border this area. The old ones were done in a single layer of 6" by 6" rounded lanscape timbers. They're rather old, at least ten years, have an unfortunate habit of rolling into the street at inoportune times, and, as we've discovered, some of them have been harboring termites, along side some of the more welcome invertebrate life. Banner day for the Robins, I'm sure!! (Oh, and a couple for the Cichlids as a treat Wink )

So, all of the old timbers are up, and I've begun laying new. We're going with 4 x 4 since the price is right. $1.97 for an 8' length vs. $11.86 for the 6 x 6!!! We'll be doing a double layer, both for mulch retention as well as the fact that I can offset the ends to provide stability once I spike them together. There's a slight grade to the front way, so while the side facing the street will have it's bottom layer only an inch embedded, the side facing the side walk will have its lower layer nearly below grade. And there's still at least four inches of grade we take up with the sides. We've just begun the new framing, got about 40 feet of bottom layer in. There are evenings through the week ahead of me, I'm sure! Add to that, we've bought about a half a long ton of new cypress mulch, and it's busy busy me for a while!!

On the plus side, I've got some nice divisions from some of the non-thorny shrubs, tulips look lovely in the vase, we've turned up a volunteer blue bell we'll be transplanting, various other bits and bobs, and I'm sure we're improving the whole thing nicely. Since we've bought the place, we've iproved the soil quality in this bed so much. Need to work on the small patch by the porch next. It's just packed dust!

Well, time to nurse my back, lotion my hands, get another set of gloves, then onward and upward!!
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th April 2011, 11:08 am

Busy weekend here, catching up after missing the last one (cub camp !). Sown peas, beetroot, outdoor tomatoes, salads, melons ... Chilli-head Jnr sowed his sunflowers too.

Tidied up the allotment which was starting to look overgrown. Comfrey coming up everywhere. Which gave me an idea - I need to increase my compost production, and I have an almost unlimited supply of comfrey, and corrugated cardboard packaging. Surely layered together this will make something useful ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th April 2011, 11:53 am

It should be positively dynamic! (I saw somewhere the other day a recipe for potting compost which was made entirely with grass cutting and shredded cardboard). Have you tried comfrey tea for tomatoes etc - smelly but free!!
(You can download/buy a booklet about uses of comfrey from the Garden Organic website.)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th April 2011, 12:12 pm

Dandelion wrote:Have you tried comfrey tea for tomatoes etc - smelly but free!!

I have. My god did it stink. Even repeated washings could not get the smell off my hands. Mind you, I did make it in a barrel that had previously been used to store pig slurrey samples !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2011, 1:32 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Busy weekend here, catching up after missing the last one (cub camp !). Sown peas, beetroot, outdoor tomatoes, salads, melons ... Chilli-head Jnr sowed his sunflowers too.

Tidied up the allotment which was starting to look overgrown. Comfrey coming up everywhere. Which gave me an idea - I need to increase my compost production, and I have an almost unlimited supply of comfrey, and corrugated cardboard packaging. Surely layered together this will make something useful ?

I make my own potting compost from grass and cardboard, Very Happy I have several dedicated bins for this. CAT call it "grassboarding " lol

I also do the same with comfrey and cardboard and it makes an excellent very rich compost which I use much like wormery compost ( as a top dressing , very sparingly!)

As Dandelion says, it will be dynamic!!

Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 18th April 2011, 3:17 pm

Had to water all my pots today, everything is very dry & me broad beans were begining to droop.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next