A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Champion the Lumber Horse
by Chilli-head 18th August 2024, 6:24 pm

» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

Statistics
We have 271 registered users
The newest registered user is Phil Morris

Our users have posted a total of 48047 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Hca_button

What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

+8
Sparhawk
AngelinaJellyBeana
freebird
Dandelion
Chilli-head
Jaded Green
polgara
Adrian
12 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by freebird 22nd May 2014, 4:06 pm

Following on from the loud and garish shirt I made for the man last month: there looked to be just enough fabric left to make something else as I'm quite good at cutting economically.

I decided to make a matching top for myself. I had to make my own pattern, as the pieces of fabric were on the skimpy side, to say the least. In fact when I came to try the pattern on the fabric pieces, I found they didn't fit all together. I could have the back and one side of the front, or both sides of the front and nothing else. In the end, I cut the back in half, and just squeezed it out the fabric. Not enough for facings, and on the front, not enough for an overlap for buttons.

It's been a real test of ingenuity, but I'm quite pleased with the result, and has cost about £3.50 in 'bits' such as bias binding etc. Pics will happen below - keep waiting......

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Shirt110

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Shirt210

freebird

Back to top Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by Dandelion 22nd May 2014, 6:44 pm

I love the attention to detail - the matching buttons and binding. Pretty!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 23rd May 2014, 10:09 am

Well done FB, very inventive. Cutting must have been tricky as you couldn't have upside down birds. I know what it's like when you are sure that something should fit - a grim determination sets in.

I do just love that fabric.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 25th May 2014, 6:38 pm

Very nice freebird!

I have finished today a beach robe for my son this summer.

TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th May 2014, 8:37 am

Picture please, Tamara!!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 26th May 2014, 2:04 pm

I thought i had joined a pic!

Am unable to do so... Help?
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th May 2014, 5:14 pm

You have to click on the 'host an image' icon first (the furthest left icon) which will enable you to browse the image you want from your computer, and will then give you a URL link. You need to copy this link, close 'host an image', open the next icon (insert an image) and paste the URL link into the box. It should work (but last time I tried to put a picture in it took over an hour because I'd forgotten how to do it!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 26th May 2014, 6:44 pm

Ok i'll try again!

Nope, not working. If i copy/paste the URL it only says
Image :

Which is not the URL. What am i doing wrong?
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th May 2014, 7:33 pm

1) Click on 'Host an Image' from the icons above the Quick Reply box.
2) When the box appears, click the Browse button to find your file.
3) Also resize your image, using the 640 for websites option.
4) Then click Host It.
5) Now, a second box will appear. Copy the file information in the bottom window, either by highlighting it, right click and choose copy, OR click the Copy button next to it. This second option will bring up a Windows message about allowing access to your clipboard, so click Allow Access
6) Now go back to the original Host an Image icon and click it to make the box go away.
7) Now click the icon next to it, Insert an Image - paste the copied file information into the relevant box and click Insert

I'm pretty sure those instructions are ok. However, this will only give you a single image in your post. Multiple images can be obtained by clicking the Upload button (forget which box it appears in), which makes all the file information go away, so you can browse for new file.

I'm not suggesting Dandelion's instructions are no good but here are the slightly more detailed ones that Freebird posted for me. I find the first stage takes ages (after I have browsed & found the image it takes ages for the screen to come up with 'host it') I usually go away & make a cup of tea & it is ready when I get back.
I have to refer to these instructions every time I post a picture.

Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 26th May 2014, 7:51 pm

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Image16

Oh i think i have managed, thanks Ploshkin!
I was not copy/paste the right link...
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th May 2014, 9:48 pm

That's gorgeous Tamara. Is it towelling?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th May 2014, 10:12 pm

Tamara that's lovely - and well done on managing to post a picture! It's not very straightforward. I hope your son is pleased with his robe.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th May 2014, 11:12 pm

Thanks Ploshkin - much better instructions than mine! Will copy them and put them somewhere safe to use myself!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th May 2014, 2:09 pm

Rather cute. The green edging makes it look really good. Like it  Very Happy 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th September 2014, 1:05 pm

I got the sewing machine out last night Shocked

Inspired by woodcarver Mary May on The woodright's shop, who shows Roy Underhill a tool roll made from the leg of an old pair of jeans. I had a holey pair, and needed a tool roll for my auger bits, so seemed like a good idea. Took me the usual best part of an hour to remember how to use the machine, but it came out OK. I even found a sort of 1/2" wide cotton tape in the sewing basket - I think it came tying together a 3 pack of tea towels - that made a perfect way to tie the roll up. I was quite pleased with the result, but was left thinking that (a) those machinists in Bangladesh who made the jeans deserve more money - the jeans only cost £7.50 ! and (b) 'Faithful' brand leather tool rolls from Amazon are jolly good value !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th September 2014, 7:59 pm

As I recall, CH, it was you that said some time ago, if there's no pic then it didn't happen!! Come on, show us your handiwork.

I made something similar for the man's fishing tools last year, also out of the leg of an old pair of jeans. I just overstitched all the raw edges, as I thought that turning in hems would make the finished item bulky, and be difficult to pass through the sewing machine. The nice thing about making your own is you can make the compartments exactly the right size and shape.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th September 2014, 9:32 am

I just knew I wouldn't get away without a picture !  I am a bit out of my comfort zone with "textiles" as they used to call it at school, so it's a bit basic, but it does the job.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Tool-r10

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Tool-r11
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 9th September 2014, 11:53 am

Oh neat! I wouldn't have thought of making the pocket openings facing each other, but with such narrow tools, it works really well.

It's a whole lot tidier than the one I made, CH. I'm well within my comfort zone on a sewing machine, but felt that the project didn't warrant ultra neat edges etc. If I remember to ask the man to get it out, I'll take a photo and post. Then you'll have reason to be well chuffed with yourself!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th September 2014, 3:03 pm

Nice job CH. I would imagine having the pockets alternating like that helps keep the tools in place. I often turn to trouser legs when I want something a bit 'industrial'. About 12 years ago I made 2 wooden grain chutes & cut the legs off an old pair of jeans to attach to the bottoms - they are still going strong.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th December 2014, 11:12 am

I've made another loud shirt for the man. This is his Christmas present, so no telling please. We had seen this fabric when we were looking before, but it was rather pricey (still is). But he really liked it, so I thought it would be a nice surprise. I've been making it this weekend while he has been away on a fishing trip. All done, and evidence cleared away.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Shirt_10

I'm particularly pleased with the pattern matching at the pocket....

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 Shirt_11
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th December 2014, 11:37 am

I was going to say 'what pocket?' then I saw the close up. That's some pretty nifty matching & I'm sure he will love it.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th December 2014, 2:20 pm

Fabulous!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 7th December 2014, 9:01 pm

Yo, it's been a day for finishing things. I started this a couple of weeks ago, but had to take advantage of manless time to make his shirt first.

The pattern is an original 1950s one, and the fabric - well some months ago the man's firm decided that they had to wear white shirts instead of blue. So there were five XXL blue work shirts that had far too much fabric in them to throw away. Et voila! Added some machine embroidery as a border around the collar and some flower-shaped buttons, to make sure he wouldn't mistake it for his work wear. There was enough fabric for a narrow skirt from the same pattern. It's cut out, but haven't started it yet.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 1950s_10
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th December 2014, 9:14 pm

Looks like you've made good use of your bit of time there. Is the shirt for dancing ? Looks the part indeed ! Good bit of recycling there on the second job. I can never understand those bags that come through the letterbox asking for my old clothes - believe me, my old clothes are not good for much by the time I've done with them !

(But the bags make decent liners for the kitchen compostibles bin)
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th December 2014, 11:58 am

I've done it! My first garment off the press since about 2008. I found an intriguing double layered cotton fabric with the 2 layers held together in the weave at about 20mm intervals in a grid (if that makes sense). It makes it a nice warm fabric without feeling like pyjamas. I changed the sleeves so it didn't look like a lumberjack shirt.
Sadly, our one local wool / haberdashery shop in town has just closed. I now have a minimum 45 mile round trip to get buttons, zips etc that I can't get online because of colour matching.
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 3 P1010310
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th December 2014, 12:01 pm

Sorry, the picture has gone on sideways - it wasn't when I started
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next