A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 9 Hca_button

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

+15
Lottie
Ginny
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
danksshady
Snoopka
Adrian
Chilli-head
vwalker99999
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
Dandelion
polgara
Nick B
Compostwoman
19 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Sparhawk 5th April 2013, 9:46 am

freebird wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:Planted some more broad beans, ready for spring to arrive...

Me too. But stuff I planted in the greenhouse about three weeks ago (when we had a couple of milder days) appears to have been raided by mice. Sigh!

Funny you should say that I had 4 different sorts of spudz chitting off, some purple ones, some Charlotte, some Cara & some apache ones.

Went to the greenhouse the other day & the apache ones have disappeared... Evil or Very Mad

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Sparhawk 6th April 2013, 2:01 am

Planted a load of Alderman peas that I had been soaking overnight, in small degradable pots...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th April 2013, 5:41 pm

Lots of things planted in shed because it's quite warm and light in there - peas in pots, potatoes in a bag, nasturtiums in a pot and all kinds of things in modules. I have daringly put some over-wintered caulis in the raised bed, and must rush off now and cover them in fleece...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 10th April 2013, 7:36 pm

Put some mushroom casing on some rotten straw, experimenting with home grown button 'shrooms this year.

Oyster 'shrooms last year were successful to a point, just didn't get that many of them...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th April 2013, 8:59 pm

Do you get them as a kit, Spar?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 11th April 2013, 7:45 pm

The oyster ones I didn't, got some spore on fleabay & grew them on wet straw in a large plastic tub, got a couple of nice flushes, I'll have to look the pics out, but it was all part of the learning process.

The button mushrooms I have bought as a kit from the local £ shop & am trying to grow them on some rotten straw in a large plastic tub that I found lying around... whistle2

I have based what I'm doing on an article I read in a mag some time ago, with a few subtle Sparhawk type adaptations too... Wink
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 11th April 2013, 8:07 pm

Would be interested to see pics. What kind of temperature do they need?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 14th April 2013, 9:32 am

pricking out indian spinach (malabar ) to grow in the greenhouse .just sown squash ,courgettes,sweetcorn,peas in cells, runner beans ,french climbing
cherokee indian beans, dwarf beans nautica and one other. put my broad beans and onions as well as leeks in the cold frame to harden off .
warlock1
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th April 2013, 3:15 pm

I hope your broad beans fare better than mine Warlock - I sowed them in the autumn, and was determined that they would survive despite the prolonged cold and damp. They have lived in my shed, the porch and in our front room, depending on the weather, and then graduated to the cold frame. As the weather got warmer last week I lifted the cold frame carefully off them, and they seemed to be OK. A few days ago I looked in horror, and realised that my chickens had somehow reached them (through the chicken proof fence...) and had stripped a lot of the leaves off. Will spray with seaweed feed, and hopefully they will continue to survive. Those beans are going to taste amazing!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 15th April 2013, 8:55 pm

mine are hardening off in the cold frame so should be ok
warlock1
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th April 2013, 8:05 am

Dandelion wrote:I hope your broad beans fare better than mine Warlock - I sowed them in the autumn, and was determined that they would survive despite the prolonged cold and damp.

I was digging over the plot where I grew my broad beans last year, and to my surprise found five self-sown seedlings, all quite a good size. I am amazed that they came through the winter unprotected. I have now dug them up and transplanted them to the new bean plot, where they are under cloches - not for weather protection (they hardly need that!) but to keep the foxes from digging them up.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th April 2013, 7:40 pm

The broad beans in my garden plot were sown in autumn, and have overwintered with just a few gaps. The ones at the allotment, sown similarly, are very sparse. The difference is that the garden plot is sandy and light - built up over years from greenhouse bed spoil, whereas the allotment is Bedfordshire clay.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 21st April 2013, 11:24 am

i am potting up tomatoes pricking out fennel and beetroot and have just sown some achocha .have also done over 4.5 hours digging over the allotment this weekend .my squash seeds are starting to come up as well
as my early french beans and runner beans in modules.
warlock1
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st April 2013, 12:54 pm

Have you grown achocha before, Warlock? I was given a couple of plants by one of my garden buddies at school a few years ago, and managed to get a couple of fruits. If you have grown them before, what did you do with the fruits?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 21st April 2013, 1:00 pm

Blimey Warlock, you're doing well. I've spent most of this weekend trying to finish clearing the greenhouse from last year! I have got some things growing in there, however.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 22nd April 2013, 12:46 am

Finally got back into the greenhouse today - did some cleaning, some pruning (got a great grape and kiwi in there) and sowed Milkweed and Chilli seeds
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd April 2013, 1:31 pm

A busy weekend indeed. Time for a big greenhouse re-shuffle. I planted the tomatoes out into their final positions, And, although about 3 weeks behind my usual schedule, they look quite good plants this year. Potted on indoor cucumber Cuicino, sowed basil (from the seed swap, thanks whoever you are ...), then sowed a good assortment of varieties of winter squash - Conneticut field, Butternut, Squashkin (a butternut squash/pumpkin hybrid I'm trying for the first time) and a few others I've forgotten, using the dibber I turned for the job on the pole lathe last weekend Cool
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd April 2013, 6:28 pm

Chilli head, I do believe you're making up for lost time...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd April 2013, 9:27 am

Indeed Dandelion. I think I'm probably the only gardener in the UK who is glad of the late spring ! I would have been in trouble otherwise. As it is I had the family all helping at the weekend, cleaning plant pots and sowing.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th May 2013, 2:41 pm

Potted on the greenhouse tomatoes into their final home. I'm especially pleased with this, as this is the first year ever that I have filled the pots with homemade compost, instead of bought-in stuff.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th May 2013, 6:47 pm

Very good - let us know how it goes. I found that my homemade compost was just as good as New Horizons.

Sadly this year my tomatoes are all in New Horizons - I have been using homemade for the lst few years, but at the critical time my wrist was not up to digging out the compost heap Crying or Very sad. They do look quite good this year though - I have marble sized tomatoes on at the moment.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th May 2013, 7:16 pm

Chilli-head wrote: I found that my homemade compost was just as good as New Horizons.
Oh, well that's interesting. I used New Horizons exclusively last year, and have come to the sad conclusion that I just can't get on with it. I know it was a difficult year, but it seemed to perform poorly whether I used it to plant seeds (sieved of the coarse stuff) or to transplant into, or for mature plants in the greenhouse. Nothing did as well as usual, and some things didn't germinate at all (most notably, my sweet corn).

I've been using John Innes for seed planting this year, not having tried it before. I haven't anything homemade that is suitable for seeds.

My homemade compost will, I know, be riddled with weed seeds, but using it for my large plant pots in the greenhouse shouldn't be a problem. I has a good texture and appears to have far better water holding capacity than the New H.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th May 2013, 10:49 pm

freebird wrote:
Chilli-head wrote: I found that my homemade compost was just as good as New Horizons.
Oh, well that's interesting. I used New Horizons exclusively last year, and have come to the sad conclusion that I just can't get on with it. I know it was a difficult year, but it seemed to perform poorly whether I used it to plant seeds (sieved of the coarse stuff) or to transplant into, or for mature plants in the greenhouse. Nothing did as well as usual, and some things didn't germinate at all (most notably, my sweet corn).

I've been using John Innes for seed planting this year, not having tried it before. I haven't anything homemade that is suitable for seeds.

My homemade compost will, I know, be riddled with weed seeds, but using it for my large plant pots in the greenhouse shouldn't be a problem. I has a good texture and appears to have far better water holding capacity than the New H.

I made my own seed compost for the first time this year (two parts leaf mould, one part sand, one part homemade garden compost) - on the whole it has been OK, but in the cold conditions we've had, fertile fibre coir compost has given better results.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 31st May 2013, 8:39 am

Dandelion wrote:
I made my own seed compost for the first time this year (two parts leaf mould, one part sand, one part homemade garden compost)
I never seem to have any leaves I can gather up easily. I think I may have found somewhere I can collect from in the autumn, but it will still be another two years before they are any use as compost.

While we are on the subject - has anyone else noticed that avocado skin has some miraculous anti-rot property? It doesn't matter whether it's been through all three layers of the worm bin, then in the bottom of a potato trench, or whether it's been through the composting cycle of various bins - out it comes, whole and intact. I'm sure somebody ought to be investigating this. It might have some wonderful use for embalming, or something!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 31st May 2013, 5:42 pm

I tend to spread a layer of compost on my raised beds and cover with polythene over the autumn and winter for the worms to take it all down into the soil. The down side of this is that in the spring there is an unattractive layer of debris on the top, and yes - avocado skins are in there! The other thing which doesn't rot down is the paper from tea bags - it sits on the soil like debris from Miss Havisham's house, white and wrinkled and old! I keep meaning to write to the tea firms and find out what the material they use for tea bags is - it doesn't look like paper.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 31st May 2013, 8:13 pm

Tea bags don't rot because the paper is plasticised. If you leave them for a long time, you end up with little plastic nets everywhere. I empty them all out and compost just the contents. Some (including Mrs C-H) might think this a bit extreme ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next