A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 10th June 2014, 7:53 pm

Tomatoes  Cool 

Yellow perfection and Sugary Tom. Not at the peak of fragrant ripeness, but I couldn't resist any longer !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 10th June 2014, 9:58 pm

Oh well done CH. Mine are still very green, although supposed to be an early variety. I swore last year that I wouldn't bother with them again, but as they were the only seed I had, and wasn't doing much veg, thought I would try them once more. Sown in Jan and grown in the greenhouse - Latah would have given me something by now.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 11th June 2014, 9:19 am

I'm envious of all this harvesting but I'm watching the strawberries in the greenhouse - one is ripe enough to pick but I'm holding out for a few more.
I've got some troughs of little gem lettuces (from the seed swap packet) that are well on their way to getting hearts so shouldn't be too long before I have something to harvest.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th June 2014, 8:56 pm

I've picked three pounds of berries from my little goosegog, and there are still some on the plant to ripen further for a crumble. Jam making tomorrow - Mr D loves gooseberry jam but it's notoriously difficult to buy here. Will lay down stocks for the winter!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th June 2014, 9:20 am

Strawberries!! Loads of lovely ones from the hanging baskets in my greenhouse, for once some nice, sunny weather has coincided with them starting to ripen.

Dandelion, have you ever done gooseberry jam with elderflowers (dangle a muslin bag in the jam while it's boiling). It gives it a whole, new dimension.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th June 2014, 5:21 pm

My recipe did suggest dangling some elderflowers in, but I couldn't say where our nearest tree is (I did dig up some elder plants from the garden, which had seeded them selves.) Will have to track some down for next time. I'm hoping the jostaberry has a bigger crop of fruit this year, as I think that would make lovely jam.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 19th June 2014, 9:24 pm

picked some sad raspberries and some gooseberries today. Strawberries are ripening nicely and I have hopes for tomorrow.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th June 2014, 10:06 pm

Oh no JG - why are your raspberries sad?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 20th June 2014, 7:40 am

I had this lovely idea of planting the fruit bushes - and raspberry canes by hte anpple tree to create a fruit area. Between the apple tree getting quite large (particularly as we've missed time to prine it for 2 years) and some other things growing up, they've not had enough light. The ones that have grown into our neighbours garden look better. I'm going to clear the area round the canes this weekend and we're going to prune in November this year. I'm also plannig to move the gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes into a less shady area over the winter - something I failed to do this year.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th June 2014, 1:31 pm

Sounds like a plan!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st June 2014, 8:16 pm

Carrying sun kissed tomatoes and cucumber from the greenhouse for lunch, tbe aroma was so special. Reminds me of being in Greece.

Made pizza tonight witb fresh garlic and oregano. I've gathered a few bunches of different types of oregano to hang upside down in the shed to dry.

Made strawberry cheesecake ice cream this morning, and picked more to make jam later. Some raspberries too. They are a bonus - they are from an autumn fruiting variety, which produces an extra spring crop if not cut back after the main autumn fruiting.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st June 2014, 10:58 pm

Wish we had a 'like' button on the forum - I would have hit it as i 'like' all of those!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th June 2014, 12:15 pm

First courgettes. A couple of small ones of variety Midnight - we're going away for a week & I didn't want to come back to marrows, and a couple of good sized spherical ones from Tondo di Piacenza.  They had a lovely flavour.  Someone else may well be growing them as I had the seeds from the seed swap package & I just took out a couple of seeds from the packet & left the rest of the packet in.  I also now have a steady supply of Little Gem lettuces, also from the seed swap.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th June 2014, 1:53 pm

Picked a big cos lettuce and a bunch of chives this morning and made lettuce and chive soup (didn't have it chilled as the recipe suggested, because cold soup makes me gag!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd July 2014, 7:45 am

My first courgette - it went into lamb fajitas last night. This was from a plant grown from saved seed - Chilli Head suggested I could get a surprise as they are inclined to cross pollinate, but it looked the same as others I've had before.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd July 2014, 10:35 am

I'm glad your courgette was a success.  I have heard it said (in several places) that all squashes are prone to interbreeding, which can lead to unexpected results from saved seed - but I guess self pollination, or cross polination that produces a useful result is still quite possible.  I suppose most squashes, when immature, would work well enough as a courgette substitute anyway, so no great risk.

You've just beat me to it, BTW.  My courgettes are still a bit small - just about 10cm long.

I'm currently finishing the last of the strawberries, along with raspberries that should be autumn fruiting but don't seem to know that, and a few blackcurrants.  Summer pudding is on the cards I think.

Tonight I'll be trying to get together enough veg to make Kari Sayur.  May be onions, garlic, new potatoes, beans, golden beet, a few peas for the homegrown bits, and whatever can be found in the recesses of the fridge!

Ah yes.  Speaking of onions and garlic- the garlic was so rusty this year that I've given in and taken it out.  Smaller than ususal, but I planted so much that I think we'll be OK.  I also lifted about 90 overwintered onions, which are a useful size so I'm quite pleased on the whole.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 3rd July 2014, 12:31 pm

Chilli-head wrote:I'm currently finishing the last of the strawberries, along with raspberries that should be autumn fruiting but don't seem to know that, and a few blackcurrants.  

- the garlic was so rusty this year that I've given in and taken it out.  Smaller than ususal, but I planted so much that I think we'll be OK.

I seem to remember reading back along that you have the autumn fruiting raspberry 'Polka'. Same here. And mine also give a useful crop in the summer from last year's canes that fruited in the autumn. It took me a couple of years to work out what was going on. There are also plenty of fresh new shoots which should give me a crop later this year - so if I don't cut them down, in the summer next year as well.

And same here with the garlic as well. It looked as if it was doing really well. When I came back from a week's holiday, the whole lot was covered in rust, and I've ended up with quite small bulbs. Quite disappointed as last year was the first time I had ever grown garlic successfully, so was looking forward to building on that.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 3rd July 2014, 5:12 pm

Have been enjoying some peas (the Downton Abbey/Tutenkhamun ones, whichever you prefer...) - we had a pea and lemon risotto last night which seemed a good way to use them.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th July 2014, 6:07 pm

At last my first ripe tomato from the greenhouse - variety Red Cherry from the seed swap.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 4th July 2014, 9:52 pm

That's amazing - when did you start them off FB? I have a few green tomatoes in the shed, but nothing remotely ready to eat. Hope the red cherry was delicious!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 5th July 2014, 12:21 am

Dandelion wrote:That's amazing - when did you start them off FB? I have a few green tomatoes in the shed, but nothing remotely ready to eat. Hope the red cherry was delicious!
Oh! I was disappointed with how late they are as they are meant to be an early variety. Chilli Head had tomatoes ages ago. I started them in very early February in a heated propagator. The variety Latah has always given me earlier fruit.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th July 2014, 11:53 am

I usually aim to be picking tomatoes by mid June.  Often the weather doesn't cooperate and it is the end of June.  This year everything is a bit out of time because of our family holiday to Florida coming at a difficult time (2 weeks at Easter, the busiest spot in the gardening calendar !), which has been bad for most things but has resulted in earlier tomatoes - partly through getting ahead before the holiday, and partly because my neighbour who waters for me when I'm on holiday is more diligent than I am !

Why does it matter ?  Well, in my experience, tomato flowers that set much after midsummer will struggle to ripen fully before the days are too short. Now, I don't do chutney, so these tomatoes  will not be much use to me.  Similarly pepper and chilli crops benefit from an early start to get a long season, although green chillies are more use than green tomatoes, we don't really much like green peppers either - they aren't ripe !

On the subject of tomatoes - we had our first pasta sauce made with freshly pressed passata on Friday.  Always popular in our house.  We used San Marzano and Franchi Red pear tomatoes for a nice thick passata. nomming
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 7th July 2014, 12:30 pm

This should be a new thread 'What didn't I harvest today'
Came home to find my gooseberry bush completely bereft of fruit, I am gutted.  (Oh I love the pizza eating smiley CH, it's just popped up)  I usually pick about half of them green & leave the rest to go red.  Because they were going red quickly this year I decided to leave them all until we got back from holiday.  I think the blackbirds are the culprits, there is not one single fruit left!

I do have courgettes & lettuces coming apace now, have had my first cucumber & enough leaf on the spinach beet to use some.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th July 2014, 10:57 pm

Are green goosberries less tempting to blackbirds do you think? I left half the fruit on the bush when i made jam, and apart from a few split berries it seems to have been left untouched by the birds. (They must have been too busy trying to dig a little Japanese maple out of its pot. What a mess...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th July 2014, 8:04 am

We do seem to have extraordinary numbers of young blackbirds around here.  I  assume as a result of the extraordinary number of slugs and snails about earlier in the year !

I picked off the last of the spring flush of raspberries last night.  I discovered the penalty for leaving the old canes on autumn fruiting raspberries for an extra spring crop ... a pruning job from hell to cut them out from the thicket of new growth.  The plants are now looking more as they should - as a group of canes rather than a tangled bush.

I have my first gherkin from the seed swap - don't quite know how to use just the one gherkin - need a few more for a pickle.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th July 2014, 10:14 am

Ah, I realised that I was going to have the same gherkin dilemma (I might have put them in the seed swap). The only thing I could think was to have a jar of stuff they are going to be pickled in & to drop them in a few at a time as & when they are ready. My Marguerite Patten pickling bible says to either salt or brine them first.

I dug my first Arran Pilots yesterday - always reliable here &don't disintegrate when cooked. I let them grow on quite big as I only do earlies.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next