A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have I done in the workshop today? Hca_button

What have I done in the workshop today?

+15
Adrian
justin.sanford.9469
Mike
freebird
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Lottie
budburst12
mr_sfstk8d
Chilli-head
mark barker
Sparhawk
polgara
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Hairyloon
19 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? Empty What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by WoodTrol 29th March 2010, 9:34 pm

Welcome to the workshop!

It is amazing how much time you can spend in the workshop doing just maintenance. But it is also a place of long term projects and bringing back to life things that you have begged, bought or found. It is even a place for making your own tools.

If you have projects underway, been bashing, planing or soldering (etc) let us know what you have been up to. (Yes and that does include actually sorting the workshop out and tidying it in the first place. What have I done in the workshop today? 226366 )
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by WoodTrol 29th March 2010, 9:44 pm

...and to start things off in a mundane way...

I managed to sort at least half of my various pots, tins and assorted boxes of screws, nails, bolts, nuts, hooks, washers and all those things you think might be handy for repairing something (one day). They are now grouped into screws, nails and bolts/nuts. Some have even been sorted into screws and nails of individual types!!
And the rest of the things..... have gone into new pots, tins and assorted boxes for sorting another day What have I done in the workshop today? 910752 .
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by Hairyloon 29th March 2010, 10:16 pm

You can't beat a well organised 'shop.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 2nd April 2010, 9:22 am

Continued green oak framing yesterday. This frame is for a client and is to be a 3x3m Mezzanine floor. It was started last year but the room it is going in is only just coming to the stage of being ready for it to be erected.
All that is left to do on the frame are 4 braces and 11 mortices, mind you it does help having a large slick for tidying up the tennons....saying that, I must get back to the grind stone What have I done in the workshop today? Icon_rolleyes
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 2nd April 2010, 6:32 pm

CM cut up lots of timber to make the frame for the new Mega Hen Pen. It is made of identical wood frame, mesh panels, and will be fixed together so it can be dismantled and moved, if needed.

I cleared and tidied the "lean to" which is our 3 and 3/4 sided work area/barn/food store/log store (it is quite big!) and made some more work space to do stuff in...

CM had a tidy up in the no 1 workshop as well...it must be catching!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th April 2010, 10:41 am

What have I done in the workshop today? Dsc01517

Hopefully (!!) this is a picture of MrD's puppet made from found objects. It's just waiting for a body...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th April 2010, 1:58 pm

Looks good Dandelion, would like to see the end result too.

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th April 2010, 2:41 pm

Love them both, well done
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 13th April 2010, 6:02 pm

Put a new window in the workshop. This means I can now reduce my lighting electricity consumption Smile
The window was recycled from a friend and is at least 3rd hand. It is the only double glazed one in the propery: it is a pity that the walls are only nailed planks that let the wind in tornado . I might use cob to make an internal lining to keep the wind out.
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 5th June 2010, 8:38 pm

Got a bit dusty in here.... been very busy lately.
Just put the lawn mower back together after having to dismantle it down to the head gasket. I found the the inside coated in carbon, I presume from a bad batch of fuel. All working again now to great releaf!
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 6th June 2010, 1:27 am

I am still trying to tidy after the "Workshop Gremlin" got in & threw everything everywhere unfortunately I am only having enough time to do the things I want, not tidy up after him, which of course means things aren't getting tidied...

Well I guess you know...

I am just waiting for the grinding halt...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th June 2010, 10:55 pm

That is lovely WT!

I have done nothing in the workshop for a few days....my shave horse feels very neglected.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 9th June 2010, 12:29 am

Wood Troll wrote: Client happy and frame able to take a troll bouncing up & down on it!

Nice bet that took some doing, looking at the thickness I would have thought it would have taken a very large troll bouncing on it...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 15th June 2010, 11:24 am

The main beams are all 15cm, the braces and rafters are 10cm.
The husband (who the sace is for) came back last week and saw it for the first time and loves it!

The latest job is to make a hornbeam bookcase for some else. From felling the tree to finished article all done myself.

Lawn mower in bits again What have I done in the workshop today? Icon_sad got to get two new gaskets before putting it back together.
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 19th June 2010, 3:22 pm

Not having a workshop big enough, I did this in the street, but I finally treated my truck to an oil change.
Just a little overdue: does anyone's drive need tarmacking? Wink
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 23rd June 2010, 6:15 pm

No tarmack thanks.... how about a nice bit of hardcore instead?

I'm building up a very nice pile of old tiles and rubble out the back for a level sitting area in the courtyard.... just got to build a limestone retaining wall. But is after all my other jobs, so I think it will probably be at least 2015 before I start that one. What have I done in the workshop today? Icon_razz
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th July 2010, 6:23 pm

Helped with digging out the old stone, prior to laying the new geotextile/stone/gravel for the drive and yard.

Well, Ken the Dig did nearly all of it with his JCB, removing all the very badly laid old gravel and mud, but there was a fair bit to do with shovels and wheelbarrows, not to mention making lots of tea!

I want a JCB , I know its a very ungreen thing to want, but I want one. What have I done in the workshop today? Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9th July 2010, 10:05 pm

I'm not sure I would want a JCB in my workshop let alone a gravel drive! What have I done in the workshop today? Affraid
Are you sure you meant to demolish the workshop with your activities or have you parked you JCB on the wrong thread? What have I done in the workshop today? Icon_eek

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th July 2010, 11:09 pm

Well, we don't have a "What I did today with my heavy machinery" thread...so it seemed the most appropriate
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 10th July 2010, 5:33 pm

Spurred on by the lack of space for "land" workings I have created a "what have I done on the land today?" thread in "The Land we work". I would remind you to use your JCB sensitively and not to squash the cowslips and toads whilst doing so. Smile
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker 30th July 2010, 10:53 am

I'm into building bikes from scrap, and my shed is a graveyard for old bikes, all waiting to be brought back to life. Generally I repair them and give them away via freecycle, but I'm also into chopping them up to make recumbent bikes and trikes.
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th August 2010, 5:38 pm

Had a huge tidy up of the Barn/lean to/dumping groupd.

Now tidy, all hen food etc in proper place, even washed down the shelving in their. swept the floor, plumped up the straw bales, polished the logs...you get the idea.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 7th December 2010, 12:57 pm

Someone asked me to fell two awkwardly placed poplars last week. I turned up with the big Stihl ready to drop them.

I put on the 65cm blade, turned the motor over, took the chain brake off and reved it up to check everything was working well. The chain then promptly broke and buried itself in the ground beneath the chain saw headbang :bigangry:

One of the links had snapped on a chain that otherwise had lots of life left in it :pout: Had to go and fetch the 75cm blade from home to do the business on the trees.

I have just been to the local repair guy and he was able to repair the chain by taking a link out and reattaching it (you can do this when the chain has stretched a little) I am lot happier now :bigsmile:
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th December 2010, 4:37 pm

I've treated myself to an early christmas present - a wet grinder. Slowly working my way through re-grinding the woodworking tools I inherited from my grandad. It seems that decent quality traditional woodworking tools are hard to find these days.

I'm currently working on an oak mantel piece. I've got used to using power tools, but going back to a hand plane was a real pleasure. So much less noise, less dust, less protective kit. Very nice finish. And above all. it was grandad's What have I done in the workshop today? 931594 . Lovely way to remember someone, by using tools to do something you enjoy.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 7th December 2010, 6:10 pm

I agree that there is nothing like old steel to hold a keen edge. I have read there are companies that are starting to use traditional methods and steel that has not been recycled. I think the impurities in recycled steel are one of the factors in modern tools being inferiour (as well as the culture of buy cheep, use once, then throw away).

Using a hand plane (once you have gotten used to the effort and technique) often gives a better result. I recently planned over 20 meters (in various widths and thichnesses) of home planked poplar for a job I have been doing for client. If I had been using an electric planner it would have torn out fibers all over the place and ruined the surface, which was to be very visual.
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next