A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Hca_button

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

+15
Lottie
Ginny
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
danksshady
Snoopka
Adrian
Chilli-head
vwalker99999
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
Dandelion
polgara
Nick B
Compostwoman
19 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Chilli-head 27th April 2010, 8:58 pm

While watering today, I spotted the first tomatoes starting to swell. Only about the size of a marble yet, but a welcome sight Very Happy Very Happy They do seem to be the one thing that is ahead this year. Most outdoor stuff is a couple of weeks late - that seems to be what the farmers are saying too.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Compostwoman 27th April 2010, 11:15 pm

I have a couple doing that..have never had them so early in my (unheated) PT.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 28th April 2010, 1:30 pm

Did some sorting out this morning & planted more seeds. Overwintered peas nearly ready to pick, not a lot but enough to add to a salad.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 29th April 2010, 7:25 am

Mended it. Acrylic panes and a bit of help from suprise visit from GUeSt, well a lot of help really
I poured the wine Laughing
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 29th April 2010, 9:10 am

Blimey even I don't drink wine at 7 in the morning...... What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

Glad you have got it mended now
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 4th May 2010, 2:40 pm

Greenhouse is over to keeping tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes warm at night (they get throw out in the day time to harden off!), nurturing melons, still developing late courgettes and pumpkins and loads of flower seed trays.

The greenhouse bed has now been filled with plants: cucumber, chilli, peppers and basil. Plus pots of aubergines and "back up toamtoes" (in the event of wipe out due to blight outside)

Chilli-head, when did you seed you tomatoes that are now "tomatoing" Question Smile
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 4th May 2010, 4:45 pm

Mine have toms on in the PT and I sowed them in the conservatory like porch in a heated propagator, in the beginning of Feb (Imbolc, actually..I always sow then!)

But they are well ahead of themselves this year...a good 2 weeks early!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th May 2010, 9:33 am

Zoe wrote:
Chilli-head, when did you seed you tomatoes that are now "tomatoing" Question Smile

6th Feb this year. I usually go for beginning of Feb for indoor toms; I've tried later (early March) but could not bear the wait. Earlier did not seem to help because of light levels. I have got some horticultural lights, but it seems to be going just a bit too far. Also the neighbours start to get suspicious ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 11th May 2010, 3:55 pm

Went & looked & the lets not grow things in the greenhouse.
Courgettes are doing well well though everything else is so slow.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th May 2010, 10:02 am

As I've mentioned earlier, partially due to CW's infectious enthusiasm, this year I'm trying out growing my tomatoes in my homemade garden compost, alongside the same varieties grown in New Horizons.

So far, I have to report that I can discern no significant difference in performance, either growth, leaf colour, or number of flowers. This I take to be pretty encouraging, as it means my homemade is doing as well as the best of the bought stuff. Still, I'll have to wait for the taste test for the final verdict ..

It also becomes obvious that my composting, as I suspected, is not hot enough to kill all weed seeds. In fact I think I have an idea to save a huge amount of effort on tomato growing - simply set up the containers and fill with compost, then a few weeks later weed out down to just one volunteer per pot What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin No seed purchase necessary.

The other lesson is, no matter how old and no longer viable they might seem, don't dispose of old seed packet contents in a cool compost heap. I have parsnips growing as weeds where I mulched around my apple trees !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th May 2010, 2:17 pm

Now how useful is that Chilli, bearing in mind that parsnips are not the easiest things to grow.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th May 2010, 6:40 pm

Now that is the kind of weed I would love to have!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th May 2010, 8:27 pm

Chilli bouncing

I half fill my buckets ( my grow pots) with my compost in Feb..leave them for the weed seeds to germinate, pull the weeds out and add to the compost bins...then plant toms etc on the surface and fill to the top with more compost.

That way I make sure I get the maximum extra stem rooting from the toms, peppers etc...( by burying the stem) AND I can dispose of the weed seeds which have germinated in the first lot of my compost...

the next lot, the seedlings are on the surface, so I just pull those out as well....

I don't have any toms as weed seeds though...mainly rocket or courgettes or borage....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th May 2010, 12:09 pm

I plant my indoor tomatoes in those white plastic drums used in the food industry; they are about 15 litre. I saw the bottom out and sit them on a 10cm deep bed of sand. I always plant them first in about 10L of compost, then top up when fruits start to form with compost with some bonemeal added, in the hope that the calcium might reduce blossom end rot. The "weeds" in my compost are mostly tomatoes and chillies (there's a surprise What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin) so are not a big deal to pull out.

Borage - what a weed. I remember tractor hoeing a plot of sugar beet with a big borage problem. Attractive to bees ? we had a swarm of them persuing the tractor. Looked like a scene from Shaun the Sheep !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka 14th May 2010, 6:24 pm

Borage? For the second year running, my borage seeds (from T & M) just do not germinate... I have tried pots, I have tried seed tray, nothing doing. What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Icon_pale
Hard to believe it's a weed from where I stand. On the other hand, the soil here is full of calcium - maybe that is antagonistic? I would love to have a bit of borage here, as the flowers are so magnificent - and look lovely on a dinner plate too.
Snoopka
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th May 2010, 7:01 pm

snoopka, shall I send you some? have spent a lot of today hoeing it out!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka 14th May 2010, 7:48 pm

Thank you for offering, CW. Unfortunately, what I need is the plant, not the seeds since those don't seem to germinate here. It would probably be impractical and costly to send whole plants across the channel, but I will hold on to that thought!
On the other hand, it is possible that the T & M seeds were duff ones (not that they should be, as they are not cheap!) - so perhaps I should say yes to seeds, just in case? If it is a weed, surely it should grow easily?
Snoopka
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th May 2010, 7:53 pm

I will send you some of my seeds ( as they are obviously so VERY potent!) if you pm me your addy?...seeds won't come for a bit...but I don't mind sending you some?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th May 2010, 8:29 pm

I bought some Borage seeds this year - they have come up and some are hiding from the chickens under plastic bottle cloches. Ironically, I am also pulling them up all over the place presumably from some I grew before (a bit vague about when...) so I needn't have bothered!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th May 2010, 8:44 pm

IMO and E ...Borage is a weed and comes up EVERYWHERE!

Like courgettes and pumpkins..................
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th May 2010, 10:40 pm

I've just planted it for the bees really - I know you're supposed to put it in your Pimms, but I don't like Pimms!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 15th May 2010, 6:18 pm

Nice clear up & more seeds planted. Everything looking good if a bit slow.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th May 2010, 11:08 pm

Harvested the first new potatoes tonight...mmm....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 31st May 2010, 10:57 pm

Planted 6 more tomato plants in to final positions, also 1 pepper plants and cleared out some overwintering kale etc which has really past its prime...

Have more peppers and aubergines to plant in PT tomorrow, also 6 further tomato plants, then apart from more salad sowings the PT is finished for the summer...

Will have 20 peppers, 10 aubergines, several cucumbers and about 40 tomato plants in it, when I have finished the planting. Plus various peas, beans, salads fruit bushes etc ....

Feels good to have caught up at last!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th June 2010, 9:02 pm

Next week we will be eating mostly cucumbers What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Icon_biggrin
What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 4 Cuc11

This variety is "Tiffany". Super plants - just have to work out what to do with them all !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th June 2010, 9:13 pm

I have lots on mine...must be a good year!

Do you have a greenhouse or a PT? I can't remember?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next